It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Suzanne Somers-Somersizing A Fraud?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2003, 07:15 AM   #1
    flexnfx

flexnfx HB User
    Unhappy Suzanne Somers-Somersizing A Fraud?

I heard recently that Suzanne Somers and her Atkinsesque diet were full of contradictions and that she doesn't even follow it.
    Anybody out there know anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    I have heard people wondering about her nutritional credentials . . . but she is quite open that she did not come up with the plan herself; and the basic ideas are certainly found elsewhere.

I've never heard it called a fraud. There are people on various sites on the net saying it works for them.

She has been following a similar regime for so long, I think it would have come out long ago if she had been observed not to follow it.

Different things work for different people. Bottom line, if something doesn't work for you, find a plan that does.

Old 04-19-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
    flexnfx

flexnfx HB User
    Red face

Just read this about Somers...Comments???

Old 04-19-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
    flexnfx

flexnfx HB User
    Red face

Just read this about Somers...Comments???
    [removed]

[Please do not post commercial websites on the
    message board, for any reason. Thank you!]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 04-22-2003).]

Old 04-22-2003, 06:01 AM   #5
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, I went to your website and didn't quiet get it, because it was selling a book. I'm not a Summersizing person, so I know nothing about the diet. I have seen her on TV, and she had mentioned about there being different ways of eating for different ages because she felt that the older we get the less we can handle carbs. effiently. Well, she's an average person like the rest of us and found what works for her. I don't personally agree with the food combination thing mentioned on the site, which is what they said she does, but I do agree that our diets probably should change as we age since we get less active as we get older. The breast cancer thing that the site mentioned, is a very low blow and hurt me a little since all kinds of cancer runs in my family. Cancer is NOT fun and not something you want to advertise when you get it; however, everyone finds out anyway. The medicine that they give you after you've had your mastectomey/lumpectomey really does cause weight gain. Women also start to gain weight naturally when they turn 40, although some women do get lucky and stay slim. As far as her being 115 lbs. when she was young, what's the point? I was 110 lbs. when I was in my late 20s/early 30s. I'm 115 lbs. now. No big deal. I firmed up and can fit in clothing sizes I couldn't fit in when I was younger. I use to wear a size 7, then a size 8, and now a size 6. Sounds wierd, but it's true. I weight more now and wear smaller clothes. My thing is when people pedal those weight loss chemical factories...Now there's looking for trouble.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 04-22-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
    cocacolagirl

cocacolagirl HB User
    okay, this is not related but... I just read the above post. I am 5'7" and weigh about 130 give or take and squeeze into a size 4. How can you wear a size 6 and weight less. Is it b/c I am taller or have more muscle. Are you near my height? I know this is way off subject, sorry... I would guess you were like a size 0.

Old 04-23-2003, 04:19 AM   #7
    nela
    Senior Veteran

nela HB User
    Well, Suzanne copied her diet from France's Michel Montignac, the inventor of the Montignac Diet. I've folllowed it, along with the food combining, and it works up to a point. If you have tons of weight to lose, then it's great, because it forces you to make good food choices. But if you have little to lose and are already eating healthily, then you'd be better off sticking to a low calorie version of it. That's what I'm doing now and it's working!

Old 04-23-2003, 05:21 AM   #8
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Talking

Hello Cocacolagirl, I'm short. I'm 5'3." The other thing is that I like my clothing loose. I just can't stand the feeling of having anything even slightly tight. Also, I've never tried on a size 0...This small town that I live in has very LIMITED selections, which really drives me crazy. The smallest size you can find here is a size 5/6 and the largest is a size 20. You'd think that now that we have big franchized stores, we'd have more of a selection. We had more variety when this was a "Mom and Pop store" town. Anyhow, it's still an ok place to live. I measure 34-25-34.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 04-23-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
    cocacolagirl

cocacolagirl HB User
    damn, you are small. If I were you I would never exercise. Just kidding... :-) How do you do it or are you naturally small?

The meds I am on now keep me pretty slim but before those it was a struggle because I love food. It was my hobby. I am pretty happy with my body though. I can go into a store and find my size, except I cannot ever find a tall, which is what I need. I only find average... Go figure.

Old 04-24-2003, 06:47 AM   #10
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello Cocacolagirl, I think you're on the right track and are pretty cool yourself. The funny thing about your nick name is that Coca Cola was my favorite soda when I was younger. I don't really know if I'm naturally small or not. I was 95 lbs. in my freshman year in college. The most weight gain I ever had other than pregnancy was 5 lbs...Woopie do. I gained 35 lbs. when I was pregnant, but that included the 17 lbs. for the baby and the rest of the junk that comes out after birth. My mom was 200 lbs., so I really feel for overweight people. My mom lost her weight the hard way...colon cancer. (YUK!) One of my sisters was 25 lbs. overwieght and lost it through a low-fat/cal. counting diet and moderate exercise, which is what I'm on to keep my cholesterol under control. (I prefer heavy exercise.)My oldest sister has always been thin, but she's the one who gets the most exercise doing hard labor jobs. My other sister is 200 lbs. and still going, she doesn't exercise or eat right at all. (Giantic hamburgers, no fruit, very limited vegetables...just the lettuce on the hamburger.)The 200 lbs. sister is the one who tried to loose weight on 500 cal./day through some "stupid" (Sorry about that.) hospital observation program. Guess what? She didn't loose any weight. I really wish she'd eat more like the first sister I mentioned and myself or better, but she thinks we're full of ____. I think you're doing great and are just right for you height.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 04-24-2003, 07:51 AM   #11
    cocacolagirl

cocacolagirl HB User
    thanks magpie! I feel good at my weight and I think I look okay and I guess that's the key. Now if I could quit smoking I would feel much better. I try to eat good and I just started doing yoga often so at least I can touch my toes again which I am proud of. :-) I think eating healthy and making sure you eat enough is always good. The only way eating 500 cal is an option is if you have had a gastric bypass. Otherwise, your body mght go into starvation mode and start storing every little bit of fat you have. I myself used to weight something like 185 and I lost it all just by eating healthy and exercising more, like walking and weights, nothing strenuous. I just wish I had it a little more naturally like you...

I had a baby almost 2 years ago, and befor I had him I gained about 70 pounds I guess. I thought my dr. was going to kill me every time he weighed me. All I ate was fast food. I couldn't control my urge for taco bell. :-) Now I am back on track and healthy again though. So far so good.

Closed Thread