It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Is it carbohydrates or calories that affect weight loss the most?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2003, 02:25 AM   #1
    Scout-
    (male)

Scout- HB User
    Question Is it carbohydrates or calories that affect weight loss the most?

Since i've taken this path of nutritional education i've heard alot about carbohydrates being bad for weight loss. Is this true?
    At 6'3 and 298lbs and a quite muscular physique how many carbohydrates could i consume per day without them effecting my weight loss?

I exercise alot (people who saw my last thread will know) snd i'm eating about 1500 calories a day. I would like to eat Rice and pasta because they keep you full for a lot longer then protein does but is there a consequence to having them?

Also say per 50 grams of carbohydrates at my weight how many calories would i need to burn for that not to be stored but burnt up during my day?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Scout

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #2
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Personally I don't think there is a general answer as to which has more impact. They are just different frameworks for looking at your nutritional plan.

The calorie approach has been around longer. Counting carbs added an extra component that is crucial for some people. Everyone has their different genetics, eating history, medical history, etc.

So at 1500 calories are you losing any weight? At about 2 lbs. a week? Are you currently eating 50 grams of carbs a day or were planning to start that?

Old 04-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #3
    Rixtar

Rixtar HB User
    Scout -

The body works on caloires. A healthy body, one that functions as designed, adjusts its own processes to maximize the use of nutrition it receives.

A 1500 calorie per day diet for someone who is 298 pounds should result in a loss of 3.5 pounds per week based on regular activity. Changing the mix of food substances while keeping the total at 1500 should not impact a change in body weight unless you have a health issue that you have not disclosed.

If you are not losing at least 2 pounds per week then your calculation of the food value consumed (calories) is incorrect.

The reason I say two pounds and not 3.5 is because a lot of times the changes in body weight lag behind and then may appear on the scale as bursts of weight loss. I experienced this on an 800 calorie a day. I should have lost 6 pounds one week and lost only 4. The following week my weight changed by 7, the week after 8.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:31 AM   #4
    Rixtar

Rixtar HB User
    Have you had a body composition test done? This measures body fat. The caliper method is flawed so I suggest either underwater weighing or the method that uses a light on your bicep. You may have minimal body fat. Contrary to popular belief, extra low body fat can be ill-advised in some people especially those over age 35.

If your body fat percentage at 298 is in the middle teens that means you only have about 20 poinds you could safely loose in fat. After that you may compromise you overall health. That is of course depending on you age.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:43 AM   #5
    Scout-
    (male)

Scout- HB User
    Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I have not had a body fat count done yet I do plan to do so though.

i vary my carbohydrate intake every two weeks or so sometimes i eat about 100g carbs a day other times alot less like 30-40.

Thank you for the information about the fact that as long as i'm averaging 1500calories a day i should still lose.

Hmm, i'm very high activity (my day consists purely of training and dieting) i exercise morning 9am, miday 2pm and night 11pm at high intensity.

and my average weight loss per week is 3.7lbs per week (79.50lbs/21weeks).

So how many carbohydrates (in grams)is it safe for me to consume a day whilst not affecting my weight loss?

thx in advance.

Scout

Old 04-15-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
    cocacolagirl

cocacolagirl HB User
    Weight loss is based on calories, not carbs. However, foods high in carbs tend to be high in calories sometimes... Eat good carbs, like beans, rice, whole grain stuff... Losing weight means you have to burn calories with exercise and healthy eating. Healthy eating also does not mean you have to eliminate carbs either. Carbs ARE good for you despite what some people think.

Old 04-16-2003, 07:24 AM   #7
    Scout-
    (male)

Scout- HB User
    Rixtar how did you calculate my weight loss from my weight and calorie intake?

It was pretty accurate could you give me the method please?

Old 04-16-2003, 11:50 AM   #8
    Rixtar

Rixtar HB User
    For men only

body weight x 11 = maintenance calories per day

take this number and multiply by 7 (week)

Take Total for the week and subract the

Food calories per day for seven days

Divide that number by 3500 (calories per pound of weight change)

The answer is the change in body weight in pounds

298 pounds x 11 =3278 x 7 =22946 - 10500 (1500 x 7)
    = 12446 / 3500 = 3.556

The reason I think you are under estimating your food calories is because of the amount of exercise especially cardio you report doing. If you were walking 3 MPH for one hour per day you would be burining an additional 595 calories per day times 7 days = 4172 calories which is = 1.19 pounds of additional weight loss so since the math dosen't lie the food calories or the exercise must be inaacurate. Weight training burns apporximately 200 calories per hour an elipictal trainer approsximately 800 per hour.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:38 PM   #9
    Scout-
    (male)

Scout- HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Rixtar:
    For men only

take this number and multiply by 7 (week)

Take Total for the week and subract the

Food calories per day for seven days

Divide that number by 3500 (calories per pound of weight change)

The answer is the change in body weight in pounds

298 pounds x 11 =3278 x 7 =22946 - 10500 (1500 x 7)
    = 12446 / 3500 = 3.556

The reason I think you are under estimating your food calories is because of the amount of exercise especially cardio you report doing. If you were walking 3 MPH for one hour per day you would be burining an additional 595 calories per day times 7 days = 4172 calories which is = 1.19 pounds of additional weight loss so since the math dosen't lie the food calories or the exercise must be inaacurate. Weight training burns apporximately 200 calories per hour an elipictal trainer approsximately 800 per hour.
    Heh, my weight loss has not been a consistent 3.7lbs a week - far from it. sometimes i lose 7lbs in a week other times 1/2lb very erratic. Calories are not incorrect i always make sure i eat the right amount of cals that i want to have for that day/week. I don't know about the approximation for the exercise because as my body gets used to a set of exercise i have to change/up it.

Thanks for the formula

Scout

Old 04-16-2003, 11:03 PM   #10
    Trinket
    (female)

Trinket HB User
    Rixtar, do you have a formula for women?

Old 04-17-2003, 08:39 AM   #11
    Rixtar

Rixtar HB User
    For women use the same math however since the metabolism in women is different you multiply body wieght by 10 as in

150 pounds x 10 = 1500 calories a day. You still must have a deficit of 3500 calories over any given period of time to loose one pound of body weight. So if you need to loose say 25 pounds you need to cut 3500 x = 87,500 calories in any given time period. If you want to loose that amount of weight in say 4 months that is 120 days so you divide 87,500 by 120 = 730 net calorie change per day. Now here is the easy part you weigh 150 you want to weigh 125 you want to do this the correct way which is slowly. You need to change your net calories by 730 per day. Here we go

You add one hour of walking to your whatever physical activity you are currently doing if you are not physicall active add 90 mins in three 30 minute walks that are at least 1/2 mile each. This will burn 150 calories a day. Just by doing this you will loose one pound of weight every 24 days. Not a lot but it gets better. You limit your caloric intake and it really doesn't matter carbs or no carbs but I will say a diet based on the Ornish program works the best. You limit your calories to 900 per day. That ads a another 600 calories to the the 150 from walking and you are at 750 calories and Noe one day per week you limit your calories to 750 in the the 16 weeks that adds up to 4000 calories. So lets do the math:

120 days x 750 = 90,000 + 4000 from under calorie Thursdays. = 94,000 calories And about week 12 your weight loss is slowing down because your walking is burning less calories due to the fact that you weigh less. So the extra 6,500 calories are a cushion to allow for that factor You could add an additional 30 minutes per day to your walking. This will add another 65 calories (approx to your for the last 30 days that's another 2000 calories and bingo you are down to your goal weight and added a healthy habit of walking improving your overall health.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:48 AM   #12
    Rixtar

Rixtar HB User
    Scout

How old are you? And your flunctuating weight loss is right on track when I was on a restricted calorie program my weight loss never matched the numbers on a week-by-week basis but always came out within a half pound every six weeks.

Old 04-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #13
    Scout-
    (male)

Scout- HB User
    Hi Rixtar, i'm 25.

Where'd you get those formulas from?

Math in weight loss...whatever next lol

Old 04-18-2003, 01:37 AM   #14
    Omskakas

Omskakas HB User
    Quote:
    Oh, come on. That's not the "maintenance calories"! Maintenance calories for men would be around 15 x weight. I for example weigh 150 pounds and with 1650 calories I'd be starving. However, keep in mind that calories you need to maintain your weight depends on your activity level and fat percent.

A person that weighs nearly 300 pounds should eat around 2000-2500 calories for weight loss. This is to prevent your body going in "energy saving mode" and to save muscle mass. Too fast weight loss can backfire.

You are weight training already, right?

Old 04-18-2003, 01:46 AM   #15
    Omskakas

Omskakas HB User
    Quote:
    You limit your caloric intake and it really doesn't matter carbs or no carbs but I will say a diet based on the Ornish program works the best. You limit your calories to 900 per day. That ads a another 600 calories to the the 150 from walking and you are at 750 calories and Noe one day per week you limit your calories to 750 in the the 16 weeks that adds up to 4000 calories.
    Keep in mind that a human body doesn't work like that. If you're starving yourself with only 900 calories per day, there's a good chance that your body will go in to "energy saving mode". Which means that your body thinks there's a famine and it's trying to save your life by lowering non-vital body functions and saving precious nutrients.

Closed Thread