It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Oreos banned?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2003, 09:46 AM   #1
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Post Oreos banned?

Hello, I just heard that there's a lawyer in San Fransico, Calif. that wants to ban Oreo cookies from the city, because they contain trans fats. Well gee...What about the other stuff that has trans fats? Why just pick on Oreos? No one is forcing him to eat them. I just thought that this was funny. One the "cool" side...Fito Lay has announced that it is doing away with the trans fats in it's products completely, so Doritos won't have any trans fats anymore. McDonald's is just cutting down on trans fats, but not completely cutting them out.

------------------
    Magpie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
    ramsemonius

ramsemonius HB User
    The sad thing in my view is that it has taken so long for the feds to publicize what many scientific studies have shown for at least a decade about trans-fats. I think its really important for the public to know that there is a major beaurocracy going on with our fed health care system. Its all about money and technology with them. We need to stand up for a better system!

Old 05-13-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Magpiezoe:
    Well gee...What about the other stuff that has trans fats? Why just pick on Oreos? No one is forcing him to eat them.
    The idea is to set a precedent . . . so you have to start with one company/product. I haven't seen any statements by those bringing the suit, so I don't know their motivation, but, no, no one is forcing anyone to eat anything with transfats in them, but transfats are SOOOO pervasive, especially in foods marketed to children. Then you had that major report on diet earlier in the year (I forget who published it) that said, yes, transfats are dangerous and ideally no one should ever eat any of them, but they are in everything so there is no way to avoid them. That didn't sound very optimistic and there was going to be any big push to change.

Of course, someone I know who works for a large grocery chain told me that several of the large food companies tried to jump on the bandwagon early and had in fact brought a number of products to market that did not contain transfats (I don't remember ever seeing them, does anyone?), but they didn't sell at all so the groceries did not order anymore.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
    johnd

johnd HB User
    I think the idea behind it is that nabisco hasnt cut down on trans fat as other companies have (so the lawyer said). Also that this differs from the McDonalds lawsuit in that everyone knows a big mac is bad for you, but the general public doesnt know about the trans fat in oreos (again, according to the lawyer).

I think its retarded...it really doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that you shouldnt eat cookies.
    The lawsuit should be to have the packages clearly labeled, not to ban them IMO.
    johnd

Old 05-13-2003, 04:06 PM   #5
    Anabasis

Anabasis HB User
    I just read that article today and I thought about how gross it is to eat something that is indigestable. They say that you cannot disolve this substance. How gross is that? And what can this possible do to our internal body? To have a large amount of substance just laying somewhere in our bodies does not sound to appetizing.

An Oreo just ain't worth it. I plan on doing some research on this thing called transfats and I will post whatever I find to be worthy of ones attention.

TRANS FAT LABELING. [url="http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0841/1_35/59644076/p1/article.jhtml"]http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0841/1_35/59644076/p1/article.jhtml[/url]

[This message has been edited by Anabasis (edited 05-13-2003).]

Old 05-14-2003, 12:25 AM   #6
    beautyless

beautyless HB User
    my 5 cents
    the reason i agree with this lawyer is simple when i a 19 year old girl wacth tv i do not feel the need for oreos after a commerical i see advertising them BUT my 9 year old brother and 7 year old cousin right away missy can we get oreos at the store today ? can we have a snack, can it be oreos ? when i take the food shopping oeros and chips ahoy thats all they want! now i never knew about trans fats until recently and started doing some reasearch on it and ya know what the younger the are thr the more the fats can affect you later in life! so now that i am a concous consumer i have to explain to two childern why they can't have there coookies ! neway i am ranting i personnally hope the lawyer succeds cause you know if he does nabisco will start making them with out the trans fats! cause oreos are like there best seller!
    just my thought

Old 05-14-2003, 08:19 AM   #7
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, I think they should clearly label all products, when there is manmade preservatives/oil/sweeteners in them. At least people will be able to judge for themselves. I can understand "years ago" people didn't know about trans fats, but how can anyone not know now with it being in the paper all the time. Just like with nicotine is bad, but they still sell those nicotine patches without warnings. Second hand smoke is bad for children, yet people still have the nerve to smoke when a child is present. Then there's the yellow food coloring (#6) added to the fresh chicken in stores to sell it. I wonder what happened to that. Yellow #6 is supposed to cause cervical cancer in women. As far as children wanting stuff...There's always "NO." My son beggs for a lot of stuff and is very persistant, but we still say "NO." My son asked to have a happy meal everyday and claims that his friend has one everyday, Of course I said "absolutely, possively not" and explained that he needs to eat a variety of food. If he were to stop eating home cooked meals in protest, which he hasn't done, then no more happy meals either. (I heavily limit his happy meals.)I'm not raising a spoiled bratt. Sure he points stuff out in the store like anyother child, but I use parental judgement. He likes to bake, so I let him help me make our own goodies.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 05-14-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
    karen430
    (female)

karen430 HB User
    I thought I heard on the news today that the Oreo lawsuit was dropped. Did anyone else hear that?

Old 05-14-2003, 07:47 PM   #9
    flexnfx

flexnfx HB User
    Red face

Here's how they make margarine:

First they take vegetable oil, soy, corn or cottonseed, of a cheap quality. The oil may be already rancid from the extraction process. Then they mix it with tiny medal particles, usually nickle oxide, a toxic substance, and then they subject the mixture to hydrogen in a high pressure high temperature reactor. Next, in order to remove the unappetizing odor of the mixture and give it a better consistancy, soap like emulsifiers and starch are squeezed in, and the oil is, yet again, subjected to high temperatures like steam cleaning. The resulting mixture is an unattractive grey in color. In order to make the hydrogenated solid oil mixture look like butter, the original gray is removed by bleach and coal tar dyes are added. Finally, strong flavors are mixed in to make it taste like butter. And this mixture is compressed into tubs or blocks which the consumer buys as margarine.

Old 05-15-2003, 04:09 AM   #10
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    karen

That's correct, he dropped his suit yesterday. He said he wanted to draw attention to the presence and danger of trans-fats in common food. He succeeded admirably in my opinion.

Watch how fast OREOS is marketd with "NEW HEALTHIER OREOS- NO TRANS FATS"!

These chemical greases should be removed from the food chain....well the SORTA-food chain...starting with margerine, Crisco, and Kool Whip!

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 05-15-2003).]

Old 05-15-2003, 06:50 AM   #11
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, I wonder why he dropped it? Now you all got me thinking. I saw an Oreo advertisement last night and thought they are starting to target the wrong population. They are starting to target senior citizens, who are the main people that shouldn't be eating trans fats. You know the commercial with the "old guy" stacking Oreos and preparing to eat just about a whole package with milk. Then I thought about the other companies with trans fats that are targeting the elderly like some of those margarine companies.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 05-17-2003, 05:13 AM   #12
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    I weep for my generation who were bombarded OFTEN BY STUPID DOCTORS to save their hearts by switching from butter to margerine.
    The tons of trans fats eaten as margerine in the name of health through the50's, 60's, and 70's has to be one of the cruelest blows to health since the Black Plague of the 14th Century.

Probably half or more of the bypasses done on the population can be linked margerine and Crisco.

My saving grace was that I could never BEAR the taste of the chemical slop so I continued to eat butter (even carried my own to the table in the frat house.)

My mom was convinced by her doctor that margerine was the only way to eat safely....she died od congestive heart failure with 3 clogged arteries.

GET TRANS FATS OUT OF OUR FOOD....so that next generations don't have to suffer this epidemic of heart disease. If a product cannot be made outside a chemical reactor, it is NOT FOOD!

Next all trans-fat product that should be on the TO SUE list is Kool-Whip...puffy sweetened hydrogenated oils...think Crisco with sugar!

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 05-17-2003).]

Old 05-19-2003, 06:44 AM   #13
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, CHF is when fluid builds up around the heart and not a clogged artery, but you are absolutely correct about the trans fats. Both sat fats and trans fats are no good. Mono fats are the good guys. It would be nice if the snack food industry would concentrate on using mono fats like olive oil instead. Personally I love the taste of olive oil, but don't really like the taste of butter...It just tastes too greasey and has too much sat fat for me. It also depends on your genes...Some people can eat lots of butter and live to be 100...My grandmother ate lots of margarine she called "Oleo" and lived to be 100. I would like to see more and better/healthy choices in the fast food and snack industry. You know what other company uses a lot of trans fat? Ritz. I bought the Ritz sandwich pizza bites for my son without reading the label first, (Bad girl.) and found that hydrogenated soybean oil was the second ingredient! Well, I didn't have to say anything...he only ate 2 little pieces and it's been 3 days that the box has been in the house.

------------------
    Magpie

Closed Thread