It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• PLZ answer!!!: Does soda stunt your growth?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2003, 07:48 AM   #1
    Unhealthy123
    (male)

Unhealthy123 HB User
    Arrow PLZ answer!!!: Does soda stunt your growth?

I drink appx. 1 bottle of soda every 1-2 days. This is real bad, and I think it's affecting my growth. I'm only 15, and currently 5'6, but i've been that height for nearly a year now, and I really want to grow since I feel i'd like to try my hand at basketball (dreams...). Is this just a coincidence, or should I stop immediately for the growth reason? My growth was normal until I started drinking it more than I used to.

What do you think?

I'd be grateful if you'd answer.

Later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
    cb50
    (female)

cb50 HB User
    NOTHING you eat or drink will affect how you grow so please don't worry about that. I would guess at age 15, you have stopped growing and have reached the height you will be from now on. Most people reach their full height between the ages of 13 and 15, so it's safe to say you will always be 5'6". Which I do believe is plenty tall enough for what you want to do Take care.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
    RedeemedHeart
    (female)

RedeemedHeart HB User
    If you are a boy, don't give up too soon either. My oldest son grew three more inches from 15-19 years old. So you never know.
    Soda doesn't stunt growth,however it isn't healthy to drink too much of anything that full of sugar.
    Blessing,
    Kathy

Old 05-24-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
    Unhealthy123
    (male)

Unhealthy123 HB User
    Angry

Wow, you guys really layed it hard on me ...

So, if nothing you eat can stunt your growth, is there anything that you can eat that will encourage growth?

Old 05-24-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
    rhody
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
    Smile

You can encourage growth by eating healthy and exercising. All those sodas have either chemicals or sugars that may take away of some of your appetite for these healthy foods that are high in nutrients.

They know that smoking at an early age can stunt growth. They know that people that are malnourished will have problems too. So foods and drinks definitely could affect you and others.

So, I encourage you to eat healthy foods. These foods, to me, are those that are non-processed without all the added sugars etc. They would be things like fresh vegetables, whole grains like brown rice, fruits, nuts, seeds, and some dairy products and meats etc. I don't eat lots of meat, but consume eggs instead. A balanced diet is best.

If genetically you are designed to be shorter than average, then eating healthy and being healthy would just allow you to reach your maximum potential. I'd give up completely on the sodas (as I did about 20 years ago), and consume water instead. Freshly made fruit juice from fruit would be a good substitute too - not the bottled or canned varieties. Any heavy-duty blender should make it easy for you to make these fruit drinks.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, It's all in the genes. I do have one tall uncle, who always drank a ton of milk when he was young. He used to drink a whole carton at one shot, but I really think it may have been a throw back gene. Although, the milk advertisement says calcium makes your bones grow. I grew 1 1/2" after I had my first child, but I was on extra calcium supplements.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 05-28-2003, 12:54 PM   #7
    YoungLife
    (male)

YoungLife HB User
    Yes, eating healthy , exorsizing early and at least 8 hrs of sleep a day can help you grow, but i agree also it helps if its in the genes. if your parents are tall then most likely you will be tall.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:06 PM   #8
    Finn

Finn HB User
    Soda will not stunt your growth , I'm 6'2" 45 years old and used to drink soda like I couldn't get enough of the stuff. As for the gene theory about growth ...yes and no. My wife is only 5'0" and our 22 year old son is about 5' 3" so I guess he took after the wife for height.
    Anyway don't go drinking soda by the gallon , it's not exactly the greatest thing for your health.

Closed Thread