It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Fat Free Cheese

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
    QweenyBluEyes
    (female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
    Post Fat Free Cheese

I've heard that there actually is such a thing as fat free cheese. But where can you get it? And is there such a thing as fat free sharp cheese?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
    The Borg

The Borg HB User
    Try your local health food store. Try different brands out because some brands taste better than others. Be careful because some fat free cheeses have a ton of sodium.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Smile

Hello, Yep, It's at the regular grocery store/supermarket. Places like Shoprite. The problem with the lite cheeses and the fat-free cheeses is that they sell out quickly, which is what makes them hard to get during a sale. Both Healthy Choice and Philadelphia brand put out fat-free cream cheese. I tried the Healthy Choice brand and didn't like the texture...It was kind of rubbery and flavorless. The Philadelphia brand is much better; eventhough, I prefer the Neufchatel/lite cream cheese (4.5 g total fat). The flavored whipped fat-free Philadelphia cream cheese is really good. They have strawberry and chive flavors. I haven't seen fat-free cheddar yet, if you do, please let me know! I have found low fat cheddar, which is 5 g. total fat. Regular cheddar is around 12 g. total fat. It was REALLY good, but you really have to hunt for it. I also find the Polly O' Lite string cheese to be good too with 60 cal. and 2.5 g. total fat per piece. Then there's the laughing cow lite cheese. Parmesan is naturally low fat with only 1 to 1.5 g. of total fat.
    My sister loves the fat-free American singles slices, which come in the store brand or Kraft brand. You can make some really good and very low fat grilled cheese sandwiches by using the fat-free American singles and spreading fat-free mayo on the outside of the sandwich, so it doesn't stick when frying it.
    Cheese is one thing I can't do without...so is fish. Meat...I can take it or leave it.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 05-17-2003, 05:22 AM   #4
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    They taste positively AWFUL.

Old 05-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #5
    micheguns
    Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
    i love the fat free cheese found in the health food section (where all the soy meats, etc. are.) It has a heart and a cow on the front and it comes in block form (all kinds like chedder, mozz., etc., but I don't remember the name...just that it is in a block and has a cow and a heart on the front....)very good cheese and it melts well and great in dishes.

Old 05-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #6
    RageOfAngels
    Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
    The only sad thing, and the thing to watch out for, is that all sliced cheese contains some aluminum. Shocking but true - it helps it melt. No one tells you these things but I discovered it by looking on the net about products containing aluminum. I can't provide web addresses or the moderator will kick the post off, but look it up on Google for yourself.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:57 AM   #7
    Sehsun
    (female)

Sehsun HB User
    Talking

Yes, there is such a thing! You can find them at ANY grocery store. I eat Kraft Fat Free cheese slices. There is even fat free shredded cheese. And you know cheese sticks? There are the "light" kind that have half the amount of fat as the regular ones. I think they taste fine.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:38 PM   #8
    QweenyBluEyes
    (female)

QweenyBluEyes HB User
    Isn't kraft cheese slices just like american cheese? Thats stuff is terribly bad for you... but if it isn't, I'll try and find it. Just check the ingredients before I empty my wallet.

Old 06-09-2003, 05:45 AM   #9
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, Regular American cheese still has a lot of fat, so if you're watching fat intake any regular cheese is "bad" and loaded with sat. fat. The fat free slices taste just like the American cheese slices, but without the fat. You can also find store brands as well as brand named cheese slices without fat or with only 1% fat. Someone told me to notice that the "singles" really aren't classified as cheese, but instead and are labeled as something else. I forgot what it's called and am not sure why.

The cool part is that you can make a really low-fat or fat-free grilled cheese sandwich using the fat free singles. Just put the "cheese" between 2 slices of bread, spread light or fat-free mayo on the outside of the sandwich to keep it from sticking to the pan, and fry it like a normal grilled cheese sandwich.

------------------
    Magpie

Closed Thread