It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Feeling Dizzy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2005, 02:04 AM   #1
    cutie777
    (female)

cutie777 HB User
    Feeling Dizzy

HI all,

For maybe the past 3 or 4 months I have been experiencing dizziness when I stand up - this usually happens when I just get out of bed, or can happen sometime during the day. I think this might be due to low blood pressure - is that right? What sort of things can I do to help this situation?

Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
    KannD86
    (female)

KannD86 HB User
    Re: Feeling Dizzy

I've been experiencing the same thing, but for quite a bit longer. For at least a few years I get dizzy when I stand up from bed at different times during the day. My eyes go dark and I can't see anything for a few seconds and my legs feel "collapsy" or I guess a better word would be weak. It goes away after a few seconds, but it makes me wonder if something's really wrong. I don't think it's just a matter of standing up too fast. Thanks

Old 09-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
    SaintAngerBH
    (male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KannD86
    I've been experiencing the same thing, but for quite a bit longer. For at least a few years I get dizzy when I stand up from bed at different times during the day. My eyes go dark and I can't see anything for a few seconds and my legs feel "collapsy" or I guess a better word would be weak. It goes away after a few seconds, but it makes me wonder if something's really wrong. I don't think it's just a matter of standing up too fast. Thanks
    It sounds like a head rush to me...

I've had it standing up before...even if I hadn't been sitting or lying and then stood up.

I used to get that way when my blood sugar was low (I'm not diabetic but I had severl nutritional defeciencies for a long time). I would go to work with not enough sleep, and all these defeciencies...then get stressed out and I would begin to shake.......feel dizzy....nauseous and then my eyes would go blank for a couple seconds and I would have to sit down.

It's very possible you have issues with blood sugar, or some nutritional defeciencies. Don't know how stressed you get, but slow down a bit and get alot of fiber, omega 3s, vitamin c and such........

Old 09-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
    KannD86
    (female)

KannD86 HB User

Well, I don't think it's stress related because I don't really get stressed out, but the low blood sugar thing is a possibility. When I haven't eaten in a while, I get very tired to the point where I think I'll pass out, but never do. Once I eat, I feel better. I just started taking omega-3s yesterday when I learned of all the good effects like energy. Hopefully that'll help. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
    cutie777
    (female)

cutie777 HB User

I also have that! When I haven`t eaten in while then I feel light headed and start shaking! Once I eat something then I`m fine.

Is low blood pressure a sign of diabetes?

Old 09-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

A simple blood test will tell you if you have blood sugar issues. I had been suffering from dizziness for years. I finally went to the doctor and he ordered blood tests. Blood sugar was fine. My inner ear was getting inflammed. I take some Advil or Motrin, and it goes away in about 20 minutes. Blood test cost 35 bucks with no insurance. I wish I had it done years ago instead of worrying about diabetes.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

Good topic, but it seems there may be some confusion between low blood SUGAR and low blood PRESSURE. Very different...
    Wish I could give the specifics, but I can't...
    Maybe someone else...???

Old 09-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
    Kathrin74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Getting dizzy upon first standing up is, as far as I know, a typical symptom for low blood pressure.
    Which of course doesn't mean it can't be a symptom of something else too.

Or maybe people with low blood pressure tend to have also low blood sugar?

Not eating enough can be a cause for both, right?

Kathrin

Old 09-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Oops..thank you, Amo. I read this thread too quick and was seeing low blood sugar and low blood pressure. My personal issue was waking up dizzy once in a while every few months, and it would last well into the afternoon. My first thought was diabetes/blood sugar. Actually, I do have low blood pressure, too.

Come to think of it, I have a cousin who suffered from dizziness, as well. For her, it turned out to be a pinched nerve in her neck which is remedied by chiropractic manipulations.

At any rate, I think dizziness can be a symptom of many, many things

Thanks for the clarification & have a great evening!
    Lysne

Old 09-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #10
    SaintAngerBH
    (male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KannD86
    Well, I don't think it's stress related because I don't really get stressed out, but the low blood sugar thing is a possibility. When I haven't eaten in a while, I get very tired to the point where I think I'll pass out, but never do. Once I eat, I feel better. I just started taking omega-3s yesterday when I learned of all the good effects like energy. Hopefully that'll help. Thanks for your help.
    Not sure what kind of omega 3's your taking, but I wouldn't recommend pills. Flaxseed oil, straight flaxseeds and lots of salmon and cold water fish like that will make you feel brand new.

I'd also recommend alot of broccoli and fruits...broccoli's about the healthiest veggie you can eat...it'll make you feel ALOT better. And I eat alot of blueberries too. Blueberries are the highest in antioxidants among any fruit or veggie.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:10 AM   #11
    anitak1982
    Veteran
    (female)

anitak1982 HB User

My daughter was doing this and her doctor told her to drink more fluids.
    That being slightly dehydrated can cause your blood pressure fall quickly
    causing the dizziness. I would check with your doctor. They can test you
    by taking your blood pressure sitting down. Then have you lie down for a few minutes then have you stand quickly and retake it. Whether or not you are
    dehydrated this test works. The doctor then can assess what should be done.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
    KannD86
    (female)

KannD86 HB User

The omega-3s are fish oil, not flaxseed oil. I don't eat fish and no one's ever gonna convince me to start. I figure this is the best way to get the benefits of eating fish without actually having to eat it.

I love broccoli. I eat it uncooked dipped in salad dressing. And I eat lots of fruit, apples, plums, peaches, pineapple, mandarin oranges, banana. A combination of fresh and canned (never in heavy syrup).

I have to make a doctors appointment for a physical (needed for work). I'll definitely bring up the dizzy thing. I've been living with it for so long though, I don't even think of it as an unusual occurence. On top of that, my sister gets it too. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually. Thanks for your help.

Closed Thread