It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Salmon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
    SaintAngerBH
    (male)

SaintAngerBH HB User
    Salmon

Apparently I've had an omega 3 defficiency for a few years and didn't even realize it. I eat a couple servings of flaxseeds everyday. But I've eating Salmon a few times over the last couple of weeks.

I ate an especially large portion tonight (love salmon anyway) and I feel amazing. Everything wrong seems right. It's incredible really.

I'm thinking of trying to work in salmon everyday....

Is it a bad thing to try and eat salmon everyday (or some sort of cold water fish)?

I hear the recommended intake is 3 servings a week........but if this makes me feel like I feel now I'd love to eat it everyday if it's not detrimental in the long run.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User
    Re: Salmon

It absolutely would not be detrimental in the long run, and chances are if you eat it everyday, eventually you will get sick of it and cut back to only a few times a week. I'm guessing this will happen when your body reaches a good level of Omega-3s.

I'm a big believer in the fact that we crave things that we need and I think your body is in great need of this fish right now (try nuts, too). So eat up! Salmon is wonderful for you!!

Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

If your wallet can do fish every day, go for it. But please add variety or you'll get to the point where you can't look another salmon steak in the fin!
    Cheap sustitutes that are as least as good, usually better, are sardines for lunch.
    Even the lowly canned tuna has a bit more Omega-3 than salmon, and the lowlier herring is loaded.

I manage about 5 or 6 fish dishes a week...even if one is just opening a jar of VITA PARTY SNACKS herring for lunch...which are delicous! Tuna salad yesterday for lunch; probably salmon ot trout for dinner tonight. If nothing seems priced right, I'll just do a can of sardines for lunch instead (and have Lasagna for dinner.)

If fresh fish was cheaper, I'd have it MORE than once a day.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-15-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

What about all the mercury that is said to be in tuna and many other fish? I recently had my blood analyzed at the doctor and found my mercury levels to be a bit on the high side. Should I avoid tuna and similar fish or does it probably have nothing to do with this since I really don't eat tuna all THAT often?
    And does salmon have high mercury?

Old 09-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
    knotme

knotme HB User

most of the salmon available in the US is farmed atlantic salmon(with food coloring added), domestic and imported from chile. Farmed atlantic salmon has found to contain high levels of PCB contaminants (not sure about Chilean, though I've seen a documentary on their aquacultural practices, much simpler and diverse than US practices, i.e. reduce use of antibiotics and reduce stress and parasites with size and design of holding pens.)

there was an issue(late 90's) with east coast vs west coast aquaculture -fish grown in the pacific northwest is less contaminated, but the water is affected by coastal runoffs due to clear cutting and deforestation by the timber industry. Don't know if the feds has funded any new research after the Clinton administration.

the way I see it, our world is contaminated, everything you touch, breath and ingest is contaminted in some level or another(similar to the discussion on soy benefits). Just like anything you do, moderation and variety is the key. Unlike mercury though, PCB is very difficult to get rid off. Google "endocrine disruptor" if you want a good scare. Like Lenin suggest, sardines, herrings plus anchovies, sole, cod and trout is just as good(if not better) than salmon. Layoff the tuna and swordfish, animals on the higher food chain(because contaminants build up in each stage). If you must have salmon, look for wild alaskan or scottish salmon. Here in So Cal, it's $3-6 for farmed, $12-16/lb for wild slamon(if I can find it).

sorry to be such a party pooper
    -knotty

Closed Thread