It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• how 8 glasses a day keep the weight away!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
    wvabeauty

wvabeauty HB User
    Exclamation how 8 glasses a day keep the weight away!

Many people ask if water is really a key to weight loss. My answer is YES!! If your not getting atleast 8 to 10 eight ounce glasses of water a day, your not only dehydrated but your doing your body a real injustice. Water is what are body is primarily made up of. If we don't get enough, we retain it but if we drink enough, something wonderful happens. First, let me explain, when you don't drink the 64 to 80 ounces/ day that is recommended, your organs are out of whack! The Liver is what metabolizes fat. If your not drinking water, the kidneys can not function properly and rid the waste like they are supposed to do. If the kidneys aren't getting the water they deserve, they ultimately dump some of their job onto the liver to help rid waste. If the Liver is doing some of the kidneys job...guess what the liver isn't doing??? BINGO!...its not metabolizing fat and doing the job it is meant to do. Not only does water keep all organs HYDRATED and WORKING correctly, but water keeps the old hated water retention away!! It helps skin from sagging as you loose weight because the skin is bouyant with H2O!!! If your not big on drinking water...then PLEASE try to get into the groove of it. I know this all first hand, I began to add water to my daily lifestyle before I ever tried to conform my eating habits. I had heard that everyone should have the recommended 8 to 10 glasses a day and then add another 8 oz. glass for every 25lbs. that you are over weight. Needless, to say I went a little fanatical at first. I started drinking constantly (which btw, will make you urinate VERY frequently..but goes away after your body adjusts!!) I think I was up to almost a case of bottled water in two days. Ofcourse that isn't what is recommended but I began to have a "natural thirst" and had to have it. Pop, coffee, teas, etc...all took a back seat to my water. I started my morning off with an ice cold bottle of it as soon as I woke up in the a.m. and I drank constantly through out my day. In 30 days, I lost 19 pounds. Woo Hoo!!! I began slowly to change my eating habits...more veggies..less fast food...no pop..not even diet. I have lost an incredible 60+ lbs in about 7 months. I still have the occasional burger and fries and sometimes my exercise regimen goes stagnate but water has forever been by my side. I will admit that I only drink approx. around 12-14 glasses a day now and am still seeing the same results. I once heard an ad on T.V. for water...."The best no calorie drink in all the world." I'm a believer. Also, bottled water is so expensive and although I keep a case around for when I am going out and need to grab a bottle, a water filter is the way to go and is less expensive. If anyone wants to lose some weight..start with water...YOUR body deserves it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
    lilanna

lilanna HB User
    Just wondering but if you drink that much water a day doesn't that make you less hungry and therefore contribute to weight loss? If I drank that much water I'd hardly have room for food.

Old 06-27-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
    littleloo

littleloo HB User
    Lilanna,

Yes you are right. The more you drink the less you will want to eat. Most of the time, when someone is experiencing hunger or hunger pains it's not the food that our body is craving it's actually water. Next time you feel hungry have a glass of water first then wait 5 mins. You will still be a little hungry (if it's food you need) you just won't fill up as much on food.

Do a search on the net for health recipes and you'll find all the info you need on water.

Cindy

Old 06-29-2003, 03:46 AM   #4
    wvabeauty

wvabeauty HB User
    It is true that if you drink water that you won't feel hungry. Like I said, I did go a bit fanatical at first but now am at the recommended 8 to 10, 8 ounce glasses a day. Usually more than that since It is summer and I spend alot of time outdoors and whenever I exercise, I need more. It doesn't matter how much you drink, if your hungry, you WILL eat. It is Recommended that everyone get the 64 to 80 ounces of water your body needs to function properly. Water is such an important part of how our body functions. If someone is skeptical, lose all sodas..even diet. Have juice or coffee in the a.m. and then get the water down and ADD the extra 8 oz. for every 25lbs. that you may be overweight. Give it a month and see what happens. Not only is weight loss induced but you feel better, inside and out. Your skin glows, your body will firm up and your organs will be thanking you.

Old 06-29-2003, 03:55 AM   #5
    wvabeauty

wvabeauty HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by lilanna:
    Just wondering but if you drink that much water a day doesn't that make you less hungry and therefore contribute to weight loss? If I drank that much water I'd hardly have room for food.
    Read my new post..please. It may give you some insight on what I was trying to pass on with my original post. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #6
    linnybee428
    Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
    I drink so much water. Probably 10 glasses or more a day. I am still hungry and I still have acne. I have gotten very little benefit from doing this and it has been almost a year. Water is good for you, but it is not magical. I don't think it helps you lose weight.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #7
    wvabeauty

wvabeauty HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by linnybee428:
    I drink so much water. Probably 10 glasses or more a day. I am still hungry and I still have acne. I have gotten very little benefit from doing this and it has been almost a year. Water is good for you, but it is not magical. I don't think it helps you lose weight.
    Thanks for your opinion and insight. I still agree and stand firmly by my opinion also. I guess what works for some may not always work as well for others.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:38 PM   #8
    KJdancer

KJdancer HB User
    drinking a lot of water (almost to the point of constant drinking from morning to mid-afternoon) has helped my acne clear up, kept me fit, and helped my hair to be healthier & the whites of my eyes much brighter.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:51 AM   #9
    wvabeauty

wvabeauty HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by KJdancer:
    drinking a lot of water (almost to the point of constant drinking from morning to mid-afternoon) has helped my acne clear up, kept me fit, and helped my hair to be healthier & the whites of my eyes much brighter.
    FINALLY!! Someone who agrees with me!!! Thank you so much for your input!!! Keep drinking the H2O....cheers!!!

Old 07-09-2003, 11:13 AM   #10
    chopstix_gal

chopstix_gal HB User
    water can help lose weight in the following ways:

1) helps with apetite control like someone else pointed out, therefore u eat less. if you burn more calories than u eat, u will lose some weight.

2) if you don't get enough water, your body retains it, i.e. bloated. i noticed that when i drank a lot, at first i was even more bloated than before but this was only temporary. about 3 weeks , my body got used to the water and let the bloating go and i LOST a little bit of weight. granted this is considered "water weight" but i feel better and look less puffing.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #11
    linnybee428
    Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
    Ok, obviously water is important. You need to drink it with a good diet plan to get maximun benefits. I just don't think drinking tons has helped my appetite at all. And my skin conditions remain. A lot of people on the acne board will agree with this.

I go to the bathroom like every 30 min and it sucks. A lot of doctor's now believe that there is no reason to be drinking massive amounts of water and that the "8-10 glasses a day" rule is arbitrary. My rule is that I drink water and only water (most of the time). This helps a lot because I learn when I am thirsty and can feel myself being rehydrated (sugary beverages will dehydrate you further).

Old 07-10-2003, 10:17 AM   #12
    hope3000

hope3000 HB User

Many people think that acne is genectic, so water may not be able to clear it all, but water is a start. it will keep your body functioning and skin hydrated.

as well, its not just the water that will help the weight "fall" off you, but try having a glass before you eat (so you feel a bit less hungury) and then have a healthy meal. you must combine water, exericise, watching what you eat to get the best results.

if you slowly drink more water, it will motivate you to try other things and lead a better everyday live.

hope

------------------
    hope

Old 07-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #13
    Brownsugar

Brownsugar HB User
    Thank you all for your input about water I am motivated to drink more now. I am now trying to drink 16 oz at every meal(3 x) and another 16 in between meals (2x). That works out to be about 80 oz a day. I am in the bathroom more often but I hope that subsides as my body adusts.I know it definitely keeps my skin hydrated- a plus for my acne condition!

Old 07-22-2003, 09:22 AM   #14
    wvabeauty

wvabeauty HB User
    Way to go BrownSugar!!!! Your body will adjust to the water intake and you will start reeping the benefits! Goodluck!!

Old 07-28-2003, 09:12 PM   #15
    susiejb

susiejb HB User
    Hey, nobody mentioned that to help burn more calories, the water you drink should be very cold! When you drink cold water, your body works harder to bring it up to body temperature, therefore raising your metabolism. Has anywone else heard this?

Closed Thread