It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Slim-Fast Plateau

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2003, 06:05 AM   #1
    blondie24

blondie24 HB User
    Unhappy Slim-Fast Plateau

I have been following the Slim-Fast plan for about a month and a half now. To date I have lost 6 pounds.
    The only problem is that my weight loss seems to have stalled in the past 2 weeks. I am still doing everything according to plan. Including exercising 4-5 days a week on my elliptical!

I just can't figure this out and am getting pretty frustrated. I like the simplicity of the slim fast plan and don't care for the Atkin's diet...

Any Slim-Fast users (or anyone else) out there with an opinion on this?

CLH

HW-140
    SW-140
    CW-134
    GW-110-115
    5'2", F

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 07:09 AM   #2
    blondie24

blondie24 HB User
    bump

Old 08-01-2003, 06:08 AM   #3
    Cassie023

Cassie023 HB User
    Hey- good job on your weight loss! I have a few suggestions to help you in your bump in the road.
    First of all I would change your workout routine- try something new besides the elliptical trainer-your body gets used to the same workout after time. This should help you burn more calories.
    Secondly I would try eating alot of fruits and vegetables and skipping your slim fast for a few days or use it every other day. Stay away from processed foods especially white sugar and flour.
    Also I am a vegan and have found that cutting out animal products dairy-meat-eggs helps to clean out your system and shed extra pounds.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
    Mach

Mach HB User
    at your weight level (which is quite good) a 6 pound loss is great, congrats . Maybe its time for you to move away from the slimfast diet. My favourite diet of all is the weight watchers diet. You can eat whatever you want.. but all foods have a point level that you can calculate out on a point calculator thing. You then have a maximum ammount of points you can have per day.. it calculates out the fat and calories and fiber etc and gives you readings that work out to a proportion of your "maximum intake" which is your maximum ammount of points. It sounds weird at the start but it is really easy to follow and works great!

With the point calculator i figured out that a general chocolate bar is 6 points.. and slimfasts chocolate bars were not much better at all.. they were around 5 points. I think slimfast is more of a moneygrab than anything. I havent tried it though so i wont talk :P.

[This message has been edited by Mach (edited 08-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Mach (edited 08-02-2003).]

Old 08-06-2003, 07:13 AM   #5
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    Just an FYI on Slimfast. The main ingredient in Slimfast is soy protein, soy is known to cause goiter (swollen thyroid). When the thyroid is swollen it is doing so because it's funtion is being impaired and it swells to try to make the thyroid work harder to produce more thyroid hormone . One of the biggest clues is a slowed metabolism (i.e. no weight loss despite dieting and exercising). I would quit all soy products, especially the slimfast.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:18 AM   #6
    blondie24

blondie24 HB User
    Thanks everyone for your opinions! My weight loss has started back up again, so I'm pretty happy about that. (8 pounds in 5 weeks)

I would like to answer the soy protein comment.... I have 2 friends and 1 co-worker that are vegetarians and have been eating soy protein on a regular basis for years and have had no problems whatsoever with Goiter. Maybe it just depends on your own personal bodily make-up or hormones. Of course, I'm not a doctor by any means so I really couldn't say!

Closed Thread