It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Atkins people, no carbs listed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
    thatkatmat

thatkatmat HB User
    Post Atkins people, no carbs listed

Hello everyone, I've got a question for all you Atkins and Low Carb freaks (I'm one too) but I'm confused about products that list sugar or dextrose or glucose or sucrose (I think) all are sugars, anyway, the question... If a product lists one of these but the nutri-chart thingy lists 0 carbs then uh, which is it "0 carbs is 0 carbs" or "sugar is sugar" It seems as though pork rinds as an example has dextrose but no carbs and some deli meats too..If your gonna say sugar is sugar stay away then, please be gentle because I've been so good about keeping my carbs under 20 a day (I'm still in induction after 2 months) but I have had some food that lists dextrose and 0 carbs...OK I'm boring all of you now, LET ME KNOW PLEASE-Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
    peadar

peadar HB User
    Hi Matt,
    Great diet isn't it? Congrads on sticking to it.

Dextrose, Glucose, Sucrose are all sugar but with chemical differences. Some products will have some of these sugars but because of a high fiber or fat content, the carbs will be negligible or in other words they won't affect your pancreas to any great degree. The problem is that if you are a sugar addict then just that constant invasion into your blood stream of sugar, no matter how little could lead down the Candyland road. Great game!

If you have been on Atkin's for two months, you might want to begin to add to your menu slowly, and only good foods. Just add 10 grams a week and if you feel you are still losing by a scale or your clothes or whatever works for you, then keep increasing by 10 grams of carbs per week until you feel you are pushing it, because then that'll be your level at which you can eat carbs without gaining the weight but still losing it.

I've been on it for two months as well and could use a buddy to toss ideas back and forth. Let me know as I'm sure you could give me some ideas as to what has worked for you too.

Cheers.
    Peadar

Old 09-04-2003, 06:05 AM   #3
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Hi Mat--

The labelling laws allow rounding the gram counts. If a label lists zero carbs, but also says dextrose or some other sugar is an ingredient, it means there is less than one gram--in fact, there should be less than half a gram or it should be rounded up--per serving.

I agree that it is time for you to start adding some salad, some lower carb veggies or even small portions of low carb fruit to your diet. Atkins would support reverting to induction periodically as you need to, but staying on it uninterrupted for months and months is beyond the beyond, i think.

hope this helps.

sean

Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2003, 04:06 AM   #4
    Receptionist

Receptionist HB User
    Cool

I've been wondering about sugars, ive lost 2 stone in 10 weeks, but have now stopped losing, but I am still in ketosis, I dont understand how you can be in ketosis and not lose weight, is it because of hidden sugars?

------------------
    D

Old 09-10-2003, 01:56 AM   #5
    Spinos

Spinos HB User
    Receptionist: Sometimes you can be burning in Ketosis and losing FAT, but at the same time you may be building muscle(which is heavier than fat) thus giving you the SAME weight....but the fat is reduced (i.e. your clothes get looser, etc). I hate when this happens on the diet, but it does...I keep an overall eye on the sizes of clothing I lose over weeks instead of looking for instant gratification in lost pounds....best to weigh WEEKLY for me....less stress heeh....take care...

Spinos
    "Atkins or not to Atkins....that is the question? Huh?"

Closed Thread