It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• why are asians thin if they eat a lot of carbs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #16
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
    I also think it's portion control. No doubt Americans and other western cultures are getting fatter by the year. I believe I read that 61% of Americans are overweight.

I was astounded when I first went to my kids high school for an event. At least half the girls there were overweight. When I was in high school in the mid-70's it wasn't very often you saw overweight teens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 12:45 PM   #17
    stabmaster
    Inactive

stabmaster HB User
    sorry Kangamaloo- i was just playin. I was honestly told that about the brittish eating habit, but my friend (who did an exchange program there) probably stayed with a british family who didn't represent the entire demograph. That is why i said "from waht i understand." No harm intended. The pale thing was a joke. I wear sunscreen pretty much every day. It's the smart way to take care of one's skin.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:56 PM   #18
    genuck

genuck HB User
    I'm married to an asian man (indonesian) and he's 5'8 and weighs about 160. he eats bread with butter and chocolate sprinkles for breakfast every morning, drinks powdered whole milk mixed with milo (like nestle quik without sugar with vitamins added) and sugar. then he has ramen noodles with vegetables added for lunch then usually eats smth at work for dinner. if he doesn't eat dinner at work he has bread and sprinkles again. he very rarely snacks but when he does it's pringles or donuts. as for portions they are HUGE 2 or 3 packages of noodles, almost two cups of rice and a large portion of stirfry, when we go out he eats his entree and half of mine. i don't know where it goes! i will say though, other than the milo he only drinks water. i used to work with him, and the other americans and i were amazed at how much they (chinese and indo) ate, imagine a restaurant plate piled as high as it can with food, mostly rice at every meal. and all of them were super tiny. metabolism must have smth to do with it, my husband never exercises and walks like a snail. another thing that's different for me, when we do go out,he eats the cartilage off bones in chicken, and most of the bones in fish. i wonder if that adds smth to the metabolism?

Old 08-27-2003, 05:08 AM   #19
    Serrelind
    (female)

Serrelind HB User
    I'm Asian. Lived in Asia part of my life and grew up with parents that cooked traditional Vietnamese food. The reason most Asian are thin (even though their stable food is rice) is due to a little bit of everything here:

1. they're more active
    2. they have 2-3 meals a day, very little snacking in between.
    3. even though they eat more carbs, they also eat a ton of veggies, fish, and only a little meat (too expensive)
    4. desserts are not a part of every meal.. most sweet things are not as sweet are the Western sweet stuff

Growing up eating with my parents, I never developed a sweet tooth because dessert just wasn't very common every day. For me, I'd choose a rice dish over something sweet any day. I guess it's how you grew up and what food you were used to.

Old 08-27-2003, 05:12 AM   #20
    KaNGaMaLoo
    (female)

KaNGaMaLoo HB User
    To stabmaster,
    I can get a little defensive sometimes, LoL! Sorry!

Vicky xxx

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you...

Old 08-30-2003, 10:33 PM   #21
    brightstar

brightstar HB User
    Red face

Have you ever dumped out a McDonald's "medium" sized fry onto a (dinner) plate? I did--They filled half the plate! That serving was about three times the size of any side dish I'd serve up myself, and yet without thinking I'd usually eat the entire thing!

Old 08-31-2003, 08:23 PM   #22
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Yes, there have been many studies of eating behavior and they show pretty convincingly that if you serve people larger portions, they will eat more, even if they describe themselves as not very hungry. It seems to be a natural reflex bred into us over thousands of years of scarcity.

This trend is esepciallly pronounced in young people. The studies seem to show that --although we tend to think that some people are "born" fat or thin, the larger portions you put in front of a child, the more it will eat, andthe fatter it will get. So, even if there is a genetic component, it seems heavily influenced by stimulus--how much is put in front of us, or how much we serve ourselves--and by beharioral patterns we develop ourseles or with the help of out family and surroundings.

This actually explains a lot, if you look around at what we are doing to ourselves.

sean

Old 09-01-2003, 04:30 AM   #23
    Mattsmummum

Mattsmummum HB User
    There was a piece on one of the Primetime Shows one night about increased portions. They had people in different rooms, over days and when they fed them they kept increasing the portions and everyone kept eating them. We overeat and it's a fact or the people in this country wouldn't look like they do. All you have to do is sit at a mall, go to a movie, ballgame, country fair and just "people watch"...it is a sad picture.

Old 09-06-2003, 07:46 AM   #24
    Cheryl2002

Cheryl2002 HB User
    I am an asian. Singaporean to be exact. Yes we do eat lots of carbo - white rice is a staple for us.

Below are some reasons which I think can help answer your question:

1) evolution & genetics. We started out smaller in frame. Our new generation is getting taller and bigger every year, however we will be still be smaller compared to westerners who are also getting bigger

2) portion size is very true. When I was in Australia & USA for business trip I was appalled. Shocked at the portion size! We have western restaurants like 'Dan Ryan Grill', 'Planet Hollywood', 'Tony Roma's Ribs', 'Outback restaurant'. My husband and I NEVER ever managed to finish 2 main courses between the 2 of us.

3) perhaps it's the way we eat. We usually have a plate of rice each, and the various dishes will all be on laid out and all of us will take the dishes from there. Since it's a family sharing, no one will tend to take too much of the portions.

4) we really eat alot of vegs and fruits. Fruits like apples and oranges are cheap and in abundance here. We are not into salad usually since they are cold dishes. we usually stir fry vegs or steam them.

5) we don't drink as much milk as you all

6) we are not into desserts like cheesecakes etc like you all. In fact it's from your side that we 'imported' such eating culture, what with coffe bean and starbucks. Our asian desserts are more of beans soup or fruits

7) we really don't snack as often as you all. Your variety of snacks are really amazing!

8) we are not into coke and sodas etc - I really think these are killers.

9) we drink alot of tea.

10) In general our chinese dishes are quite healthy. We have many different kinds of chinese tonic soups that are clear (you all have really calories laded soup like creamy mushroom/chicken, clam chowder etc). These soups helps to detox our system too

HTH

Old 09-08-2003, 01:11 PM   #25
    EddieBrock

EddieBrock HB User
    I think it has to do a lot with genetics. I'm Asian and so is my girlfriend. She is very small (5'2, size 0) and no matter how she eats, she stays there. She can get a little thicker sometimes but her body frame is very small. Same with her family...all on the smaller side.

As for me, my parents are both big. Both sides of the families are not built like typical asians. I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs...I'm actually on the smaller side on my father's side. I have two cousins that go to the same college as me and they both have at least 2-3 inches on me.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #26
    xxFreakOfNaturexx

xxFreakOfNaturexx HB User
    Lightbulb

you know, i think it's all in the type of carbs. myself, i don't consider sugar a carb, i consider sugar sugar. I went to a nutrition seminar at my gym and the nutritionist said that the average person needs at least 150g of carbs a day for optimum health. Also, if obese people are called 'fat,' don't you think it's the FAT in their diet that makes them 'fat?' I mean, have you ever called a morbidly obese person "carb-loaded?" Just a theory...

Old 09-11-2003, 03:47 AM   #27
    ~aaliyah~
    Inactive

~aaliyah~ HB User
    it's in their gens

Old 09-11-2003, 03:49 AM   #28
    ~aaliyah~
    Inactive

~aaliyah~ HB User
    dont you know that guy, the japanese guy, you know, world champion hotdog eater? yeah cuz it's just in their genes, they just don't get fat, no matter how much they eat, unless they're old

Old 09-11-2003, 04:41 AM   #29
    ~aaliyah~
    Inactive

~aaliyah~ HB User
    how do you become a veteran

Old 09-11-2003, 07:01 AM   #30
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by xxFreakOfNaturexx:
    you know, i think it's all in the type of carbs. myself, i don't consider sugar a carb, i consider sugar sugar. I went to a nutrition seminar at my gym and the nutritionist said that the average person needs at least 150g of carbs a day for optimum health. Also, if obese people are called 'fat,' don't you think it's the FAT in their diet that makes them 'fat?' I mean, have you ever called a morbidly obese person "carb-loaded?" Just a theory...
    I'm not quite sure what your point with sugar is. Are you saying that you just don't eat it? Well, that's fine, but it is made up primarily of carbohydrates in any event.

You reasoning on fat is not well founded, though. The term fat is used because obese people have excess body fat. Now jumping to the conclusion that it comes exclusively from dietary fat is a mistake many have made, including many "experts". There is research, however, that this is not necessarily always the case.

Closed Thread