It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• why are asians thin if they eat a lot of carbs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2003, 07:05 AM   #31
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ~aaliyah~:
    dont you know that guy, the japanese guy, you know, world champion hotdog eater? yeah cuz it's just in their genes, they just don't get fat, no matter how much they eat, unless they're old
    I don't think he eats like that all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 AM   #32
    chopstix_gal

chopstix_gal HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by auntjudyg:
    I'm not quite sure what your point with sugar is. Are you saying that you just don't eat it? Well, that's fine, but it is made up primarily of carbohydrates in any event.

You reasoning on fat is not well founded, though. The term fat is used because obese people have excess body fat. Now jumping to the conclusion that it comes exclusively from dietary fat is a mistake many have made, including many "experts". There is research, however, that this is not necessarily always the case.

this is true. u can get fat off any food when u take in excess calories.

it's correct to be more concerned with the type of fat u are getting, rather than how much.

Old 09-13-2003, 05:48 PM   #33
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    freaky--

Carbs are carbs BECAUSE they are forms of sugar, or polymers of several sugar molecules, or are metabolized down to sugar more or less quickly (measured by the glycemic index). If you don't consider sugar as a carb, you have simply misunderstood the definitions.

Yes, many trainers or others still advise huge doses of carbs per day. Many others do not, however, and recent research does not support the health value of large carb intakes unless you are engaged in ver vigorous exercise. Right then.

The body does not absorb fat from our food and deposit it directly on our waist line. Digestion and metabolism (and catabolism) are in fact complex hormonal, chemical, and physcial processes. For example, if you are insulin resistant, your body will produce much too much insulin, the hormone that allows and promotes fat storage, and you will get much fatter on the same calories that another would simply survive on.

Usually, for the insulin resistant or anyone else, insulin levels are related to how much carbohydrate--especially high glycemic carbs--you eat, and how often. Meals of protein and fat are just plain poor stimulators of insulin secretion, and threrefore donot stimulate fat storage nearly as efficiently as do meals of high glycemic carbs.

So you see, it's not as you imagined. Worth reading a bit about it all.

sean

Old 09-13-2003, 08:18 PM   #34
    xxFreakOfNaturexx

xxFreakOfNaturexx HB User
    ~aaliyah~

you know, right when i said that i knew i made a mistake, but my reply didnt show up so i couldnt edit it...sorry to sound prejudiced against the obese.

sean-

wow i did not know that...whats a glycemic carb again? i think i'm gonna go all atkins and sh*t now...but do you have any idea how hard its gonna be to be low-carb Vegan?? ohwell, its worth a shot. thanks for the info!!

Old 09-16-2003, 01:46 AM   #35
    chinaik

chinaik HB User
    I think one of the reasons why Americans are so big is due to the extra intake of growth hormones from the large quantities of meat. A lot of farms are using growth hormones to boost the weight of their produce... Think... when u eat that chicken, that hormone is transferred to you as well.

Looking at Singapore's teenagers today, who are 100% exposed to the american culture, we see a growing trend as well. These kids are getting taller and bigger these days.

Closed Thread