It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• why are asians thin if they eat a lot of carbs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2003, 06:50 AM   #1
    vanessa505

vanessa505 HB User
    Post why are asians thin if they eat a lot of carbs?

if carbs make people fat, then why are most asians thin compared to caucasians? an asian meal is usually 50% carbs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 07:32 AM   #2
    KaNGaMaLoo
    (female)

KaNGaMaLoo HB User
    Lifestyle and the quality of the carbohydrates they eat must be taken into account.

I could only assume that Asian peoples are more active than Western people. Also, the choice of carbohydrates they eat are likely to be from natural sources (such as brown rice?), rather than man-made (bread, chocolate, crisps, etc.).

And, although I shouldn't generalise, Asian's generally have smaller body frames than Westerners.

However, I have little to back my ideas up - they're based on observation only. Maybe someone more knowledgable can give you a better answer.

Vicky xxx

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you...

Old 08-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #3
    paper clip

paper clip HB User
    Combination of genetics and metabolic type differences.
    It's also hard to gain weight of any kind when caloric intake is less than what is used up in a day.

Would be a better comparison to look at body composition.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:35 AM   #4
    stabmaster
    Inactive

stabmaster HB User
    Asians are generally thinner on American diets as well.

Old 08-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
    Mattsmummum

Mattsmummum HB User
    I lived in Japan and Germany (yes, I know the Germans aren't Asian *L*), but I've never seen them "overeat" as this country does. Fast food and easy meals is NOT a way of life overseas...period. I think that is the biggest weight problem here. And you would be amazed how much walking they do daily in those countries and I don't mean specifically for exercise.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    New research shows Carbs are not really the culprit here, they have shown that it is the protion of the food not the food itself. Reason carbs get a bad rap is some people satiety is different and may feel hungrier after a high carb diet and even a high protein diet. It is in the portion, with Asian folks they eat SMALL portions of rice or any food including meat and that is the trick. When an Asian person comes here to the US from their country they are amazed at how much American people eat at one setting(my girlfriend is asian and she remembers)and how many different foods we do have. When an Asian person is born in the US they can have obesity problems like the rest where in Asia it is very little of that.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:19 PM   #7
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    To Mattsmummum: I agree We here in the US are so used to having everything at our disposal including food that is why WE are the heaviest people in the Nation, now that ought to say something about ourselves not just about our foods we choose. When I lived in Spain, the people we lived with were not diet oriented, they served average portions of foods and you ate 3 times a day and not any other time nor did you go back for seconds and thirds like the Buffets style restaurants we have here. I think the bad rap for foods like carbs is unfounded as the research is showing we are eating bigger portions and going back for seconds when we ought to stop at one. As for Italians, it is a whole different story, they too are heavier but their culture is if you DON'T go back for seconds and eat hardy it is an insult to the cook, hard to go around that one.

Old 08-24-2003, 09:18 AM   #8
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    It's not the carbs, it's the type of carbs.

Somewhere I read that Chinese have larger pancreases that average, so the speculation was that they could handle insulin better.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:02 AM   #9
    Jolieanna

Jolieanna HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by vanessa505:
    if carbs make people fat, then why are most asians thin compared to caucasians? an asian meal is usually 50% carbs
    Carbs do not make people fat. There is no food, at all, NOWHERE, that could make someone fat. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif It is the QUANTITY of our intake which causes weight gain or loss. We lose weight through the expenditure of more energy (calories) that we take in. We gain if we do not expend more of what we take in. The body does not have a flashing signal sending all the fat foods to one side, and the "diet" foods to another. The truth is that we can eat anything that we choose, as long as we are able to understand the portion control. 1 bowl of pasta, is not typically a serving if the person did not measure it out. 1 serving of pasta is 1/2 cup. 1 half c. of pasta will definietely not make you fat, but 8 cups of it on a daily basis just might put on the lbs. Watch the serving size. Buy a food scale. See how much you have been eating of each food, and then measure what the actual serving size is. This may really help to understand. When people pour a bowl of cereal in the morning, many times, they are not measuring the serving size. By not doing that, it's likely that they are overeating or undereating. Try and get an idea of what a portion is. If we pay attention to that, and definitely include body movement in our day, the results may be very surprising.

Old 08-25-2003, 01:28 PM   #10
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Thumbs up

Hello, I live in an Amer./Asian household. (I'm caucasian and my hubby and mother-in-law are Chinese.) I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say about portion size. My hubby and mother-in-law were amazed at how much food I pack away and I'm a small eater compared to a lot of my family and friends. They do eat like birds. The rice is lily white and sticky; however, they do "wash" the rice befor cooking it. (Try cleaning their rice pot.)Their noodles come in a big variety...Mostly they were eating Ramen noodles instead of the bean sprout noodles or rice noodles. They switched to spagetti, when they read the ramen noodle package. They make thier pot stickers/dumplings/jiaoze with white flour. (I got yelled at when I bought unbleached.) It's definately the portion size and their body make up. (Too much oil or me.) I gained weight on their diet, so I went back to my own. I guess I shouldn't have eaten the same portion sizes as my hubby.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 08-25-2003, 02:23 PM   #11
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    I do agree that portions are part of the equation. However, I think that saying that there is no food that can make you fat is not based on fact but on opinion. A diet loaded with refined carbs (white flour, white rice, pasta, white sugar) will make you fat. Maybe not every single person who eats that way will have weight gain, but the majority will.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #12
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    NOBODY eats the huge amounts we do. And no people are so fat. My friends from Europe are horrified and ashamed of the portions they are served here. They are astounded that people will send them to a restaurant, raving about how good it is because the portions are so big! They say, "This makes a good restaurant?" they are much more into quality of the eating experience, and the social aspects of a meal together, than the quantity, as are too many of us. Even what we think of as "normal" or medium portions seem very large to them.

And yes, we do tend to eat a higher proportion of simple carbs, sugars especially, trans fats and junk food. So, the two factors are both important: we eat much too much, and it is often food of poor quality, at least in large part.

sean

Old 08-25-2003, 10:09 PM   #13
    stabmaster
    Inactive

stabmaster HB User
    from what i understand, the English eat bigger portions than us. I also hear they wolf their food down twice as fast. They still manage to look scrawny and pale. Maybe they need more sun.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:48 AM   #14
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
    Hello, I wanted to add a little more. Another thing that my hubby and mother-in-law noticed about the way US Americans eat is that we snack a lot. They even asked me why I snack. It's really funny, because I see so many different kinds of snacks in the Chinese grocery store we go to. I don't see my hubby and mother-in-law snacking every night though. I do see my mother-in-law snacking occationally (0-1 times per week.) on watermellon seeds or a few pieces of dried plums. (Not to be confused with prunes, because the asian stuff is REALLY dry.) My hubby will eat fruit for dessert, but no snacks. My mother-in-law never has dessert, except for holidays when we "push" it on her. I have seen the other types/more evil types of snacks eaten for the Chinese New Year or special parties. Even then they only have a little. Last year's party, they actually bought 12 dozen doughnut for 24 people. My son was the only one that ate a whole doughnut. Some people either didn't eat any or just half of one. Then they said the doughnuts were too sweet. (Funny, Ton ton is a sweet Chinese breakfast and my hubby and mother-in-law put sugar in their warm morning milk.)So, I'd say it's also the "no snacking" plus the small portions.

------------------
    Magpie

Old 08-26-2003, 10:55 AM   #15
    KaNGaMaLoo
    (female)

KaNGaMaLoo HB User
    To a previous poster...

I'm British, and found the serving sizes in the US much larger than back here in the UK.

For example, a regular value meal at McDonalds in the US is the equivalent of what we consider a Super Size. I found this in other restaurants too. I was often shocked (even disgusted to a certain extent) at the amount I was served in some restaurants.

Our muffins are also much smaller, as are our standard size bags of crisps (potato chips).

I must also say that although the UK and the US are both experiencing an obesity epidemic, I have never seen people in the UK as large as some of those in the US. I have absolutely nothing against Americans or these people, I just wanted to point this out.

I'd also like to point out that a suntan basically shows that you've damaged yourself and have put yourself at risk to skin cancer. If you are born pale (like many Brits are) then it is perfectly healthy to stay that way.

Please don't generalise to all British people. We do not all scoff our food like pigs and look scrawny.

Not meaning to cause any offence, just stating my observations.

Vicky xxx

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you...

Closed Thread