It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• South Beach Do's and Don'ts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
    fefca

fefca HB User
    Question South Beach Do's and Don'ts

Hi there,

I'm just starting the SBD, but somethings aren't clear to me:
    - Can phase 1 last longer than 2 weeks?
    - Can I eat soybeans? I figured you can, since peanuts are allowed, but I'm not sure...
    - Is even fat-free milk forbidden?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2003, 08:06 AM   #2
    Ava11

Ava11 HB User
    Yes, Phase 1 can last longer than 2 weeks. I extended my Phase 1 to almost 3 wks as I wanted to lose a little more weight.

I'm not sure about the soybeans, sorry.

Absolutely no milk, fat free or any kind in Phase 1.

Good Luck! I've lost 22lbs since the beginning of June and I only have 3lbs to go to my goal weight. South Beach is the best thing I've ever done!!

Old 10-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
    fefca

fefca HB User
    Thanks for your answer, Ava!
    Does anyone know why is that we can't have milk, but we're encouraged to eat cheese, if it's made of milk?
    And congratulations on the weight loss!!
    Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by fefca (edited 10-10-2003).]

Old 02-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
    Re: South Beach Do's and Don'ts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fefca
    Thanks for your answer, Ava!
    Does anyone know why is that we can't have milk, but we're encouraged to eat cheese, if it's made of milk?
    And congratulations on the weight loss!!
    Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by fefca (edited 10-10-2003).]
    In the process of converting to cheese, milk's sugars are converted and essentially eliminated. Most cheeses, especially hard cheeses are very low carb, and the longer-aged, sharper cheeses even more so.

sean

Old 02-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
    Chum
    (male)

Chum HB User

I think the diet allows low fat milk now in phase 1

Old 02-18-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
    jamahsan

jamahsan HB User

You are allowed to have fat free and skim milk now on phase one. There are updates to the diet in the website, also you should sign up for the daily dish.

This is a great way of eating, I have had major success while on this plan. I have been doing it since August 2003. It's easy easy easy... and I feel great.

Jamah
    143-112-...

Old 02-19-2004, 03:14 PM   #7
    Chum
    (male)

Chum HB User

what I like about it is you get more carbs, but healthy carbs. I eat 100 grams daily and still lose weight. Best thing to eat is lean meats, vegetables, fruits low on the GI, and whole wheat breads and pastas. Dont believe atkins and the 20-30 carb daily routine. You can eat much more if you watch portions.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
    alwaysgod2

alwaysgod2 HB User

So what exactly is the south beach diet? Can anyone explain what u eat and stuff?

Old 02-20-2004, 10:13 PM   #9
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

Sounds like it's just a match-up with Atkins? only they added more carbs?
    But I don't know??.....I was hopeing some one would say how this SBD works? if it has the induction phase in it so does the Atkins? maybe your peeing out the fat?

Old 02-21-2004, 07:20 AM   #10
    alwaysgod2

alwaysgod2 HB User

lol, well ive been reading on it andlearnt that u ant have carbs in phase one. So what does that leave??meat and veggies right?? Thats all i could eat for 2 weeks?

Old 02-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
    rodney007

rodney007 HB User

Hi, I'm doing the south beach diet, but not stressing about it, and I have had great success.

I cut all foods containing high carbohydrate levels, all sugar and lots of fat, but not all.

I drink Half fat milk every day, eat full fat mozzarella with every salad I eat, I have a hot chocolate every night (100% cocoa only, no added anything) and 1 take out each week on a saturday (even sinful things like chicken fried rice!) as a treat.

I have been doing this non stress "phase 1" for 3 weeks losing around 9-10lbs a week and have finally got back to the size I want to be!

Thank god for the South Beach Diet! It has helped me to easily lose weight as it lets me eat as much as I want, when I want and taught me how to choose the right things.

Before I started the diet, I wouldn't eat vegetables because I didn't like them, Now I do!

Do South beach around your lifestyle, not your lifestyle around South Beach. It still works but without the stress.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
    rodney007

rodney007 HB User

no, you just cut out carbs

Old 02-26-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chum
    what I like about it is you get more carbs, but healthy carbs. I eat 100 grams daily and still lose weight. Best thing to eat is lean meats, vegetables, fruits low on the GI, and whole wheat breads and pastas. Dont believe atkins and the 20-30 carb daily routine. You can eat much more if you watch portions.

As usual, Atkins is misunderstood here. The 20 carb routine is onlyfor the first two weeks. The South Beach and Atkins diets are actually more alike than not. Atkins is more strict in the first weeks, and usually leads to more pounds off, but if Atkinsis an uncomfortable discipline for you, and you won't stick to it, you are much better off on the SBD than most alternatives.

sean

Old 02-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #14
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chum

As usual, Atkins is mischaracterized and misunderstood. The 20 gram limit is only for two weeks. I have been following Atkins for almost five years, and that two weeks is still the only time I cut my carbs that low.

The SBD and Atkins are more like than unlike. If Atkins usually produces more weight loss, South Beach is sometimes easier to follow.

Either is a much better, healthier way to eat than the high carb lowfat diets that somehow became the dominant theme for the last two decades. Especially interesting is that by cutting insulin, these low carb diets will do more for your blood fats and cardiovascular health than any low-fat diet yet devised. (Ornish is simply mistaken, targeting dietary fat rather than blood insulin levels.)

sean

Old 02-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #15
    vatonh
    (female)

vatonh HB User

has anyone experienced constipation with the south beach?

Closed Thread