It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• rectal bleeding question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
    wonderingaloud

wonderingaloud HB User
    Question rectal bleeding question

Can anyone help me with this? Can TOO MUCH bread or wheat products cause problems such as rectal bleeding? I've always heard that you should increase grain and fiber intake if you are having problems like this. When I say "too much" bread or fiber, I'm talking about 2 sandwiches on wheat bread per day and maybe a bagel a day as well. Any feedback about this would be good.
    Wonderingaloud

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 02:28 PM   #2
    tia2
    (female)

tia2 HB User
    Never heard of such a thing on the amount you described or otherwise......anyone else??

Old 10-13-2003, 05:36 AM   #3
    Cha-Cha

Cha-Cha HB User
    Hi, rectal bleeding can be a sign of many things. It can be as simple as hemorrhoids (internal and external) that are bothered by your diet ( although fiber should HELP since it prevents straining with constipation), it can be a fissure ( those are usually painful), it can be a diverticulitits (again, usually painful, fever), it can be from a benign polyp that bleeds, or it can be from colitis, or the worse case senario is colon cancer. Since no one will be able to tell you what is causing the bleeding based on your symptoms, call your doctor and get a colonoscopy scheduled. You will have to take laxatives the night before to get cleaned out, but they will give you medicines to make you sleepy during the actual procedure. 99% of people don't remember a thing..and this way you will have peace of mind that it is not something serious..and if it is cancer, it is soooo much easier to take care of and treat in an earlier stage. It probably isn't anything...but you shouldn't ignore symptoms or delay getting a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy is a required part of a ROUTINE physical for EVERYONE at 50 years old. Earlier if you have a strong family history or are having symptoms. Please get a colonoscopy..Katie Couric did it on live TV..can't be that bad! (haha)..and it might keep you healthy!! Good luck

Old 10-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #4
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Some people with sensitive digestives tracks do have problems if they eat too much grain/bran. I know that is the first thing most people mention when talking about increasing fiber, but you might want to try getting fiber from veggies and fruits and legumes (it takes a little effort but is really not too difficult).

If the bleeding has been persisting for a while, you really do need a doctor's exam to figure out what is going on. They may very well be able to figure out what is going on without doing a colonscopy at this point.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
    Cha-Cha

Cha-Cha HB User
    Please get a check up. Fiber should make your stools bulkier and easier to pass...not make you bleed. If you are young and healthy and only have a spot of bright red blood on the toilet paper you can usually suspect hemorrhoids...other than that...get it checked out.

Closed Thread