It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Delicious low-carb whole wheat bread!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User
    Thumbs up Delicious low-carb whole wheat bread!

Hello! I've been buying sugar-free bread for the two years since we began our low-carb diet. I have eaten a couple of brands that were almost inedible. For the most part, I buy a few brands that are good.

I recently bought the most delicious low-carb bread that is as tasty as regular whole wheat breads, and want to let everyone know! It's made by Groweat, called "Carb Counting" 100% whole wheat bread. This bread has the Atkins seal on it, and a slice of bread is only 6 carbs, 60 calories and 3 grams of dietary fiber. I think it is delicious, with a good texture. It is wonderful toasted with sugar-free jelly for breakfast.

If you're looking for a tasty low-carb bread, give this one a try! I think you'll like it!

Last edited by AllysHeart; 10-04-2005 at 07:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User
    Re: Delicious low-carb whole wheat bread!

sara lee makes a good low carb bread, but it's like 7carbs a slice....just so ya know!

Old 10-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
    anitak1982
    Veteran
    (female)

anitak1982 HB User

I don't miss bread but I bought a bunch of "CarbSense hot cereals" When they were so cheep at Big Lots. Lately I have been taking 1/2 cup of the cereal and 1 egg plus splenda and cinnamon to taste plus 1/2 cup water and cooking it in the microwave until it is like a bread consistancy. About 2 minutes. I then take cream cheese sweetened with splenda and a little heavy cream and melt it in the microwave and pour over the top making a lovely bread pudding. It is really good and I love it. I eat it every morning.

If you can't find CarbSense you can do a similar dish with 1/2 cup almond flour and a tablespoon of ground flax seed in place of the CarbSense cereal. It is really good too.

Makes a nice change of pace for breakfast.
    Or see recipe below

Almond Breakfast Bread Pudding

Description:
    Ingredients: 2 ounces almonds -- ground
    1 large egg -- slightly beaten
    1 tablespoon flax seed meal
    2 tablespoons butter -- melted

4 tablespoons heavy cream
    2 each splenda packets
    1 dash cinnamon

How To Prepare: Mix almonds, flax, egg, 1T butter, 2T cream, cinnamon to taste and 1 packet splenda until it makes a paste.
    Pour into a small, microwave safe bowl and microwave for approx 1 minute and 20 seconds(1100 watt oven)or until the center puffs up.
    Remove and immediately top with remaining butter, cream, splenda and cinnamon to taste.
    *note using 1/2 & 1/2 instead of cream reduces calories to 356 and does not change carb count.

Last edited by anitak1982; 10-06-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Piranna65
    sara lee makes a good low carb bread, but it's like 7carbs a slice....just so ya know!
    Yes, Piranna, I remember buying the Sara Lee low carb bread. I recall it was one of the brands I liked!

We never finish a loaf of bread, it's such a shame to waste it. My husband goes thru phases where he doesn't want any bread at all, because he's so dedicated to his diet. Occasionally on weekends, we'll have a nice breakfast, and he'll have toast with Smart Balance and Smucker's sugar-free jelly.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hello, anitaK! Mmmmmm, your recipes sound very tempting! I am anxious to try them. We have a Big Lots, but I don't shop there. I will go there to see if I can find the CarbSense cereals.

Your Almond Breakfast Bread Pudding sounds wonderful! Thank you for posting the recipe. I do like delicious breakfasts. I am most often having the same old things - cooked oatmeal or eggs and toast or an Atkins breakfast bar and shake. I don't think my husband would like the bread pudding, but I know he'd try it once.

I think I might substitute Stevia for the Splenda, although I've got the Splenda in the pantry. I have everything but the flax seed meal and heavy cream. I'll print this out and go the the health food store for the flax meal, maybe today. We keep a can of almonds for quick snacks.

Thank you for sharing!

Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

I went the the health food store and bought the ingredients for the Almond Breakfast Bread Pudding! I can't wait to try it!

Old 10-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

The Almond Breakfast Bread Pudding is delicious! So different, so satisfying. For me, it made more than I could eat, so I am going to modify the recipe. I am going to use Egg Beaters so I can reduce the amount of egg, therefore reducing the measurement of ground almonds and butter. I have the fat free half and half, and it did great! The flax seed meal is great. It has a texture that sort of reminds me of the Wheatina my grandmother would prepare for breakfast for me when I was young.

My husband was watching me prepare it, and we decided he would not like it. He told me, that as I'm approaching turning 50, the way I'm eating and taking care of myself, I might just make it twice! I replied to him that I don't eat these healthy foods because I should, but rather because I like them!

Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

i need my whole wheat toast in the am...love either Arnold Carb Style Wheat breads-have multi-wheat low carb bread as well. I also really like Wonder light Wheat..has more taste to it.....really very good!

Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
    anitak1982
    Veteran
    (female)

anitak1982 HB User

Glad you liked it. I am not so much as an egg person myself but love this. I even added some cocoa powder one day and liked that.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #10
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hello, anitak. I don't need a sweet flavor as much, so I substituted a half packet of Stevia for the Splenda. Also, I think it would taste good with some raisins mixed in prior to cooking. I think I like it will less almonds.

I realized when it ate the Almond Breakfast Bread Pudding on Friday morning at about 6:30, I did not get hungry again until 11:30.

Closed Thread