It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Protein bars causing weight gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
    snuggle377
    (female)

snuggle377 HB User
    Protein bars causing weight gain?

I know that eating fresh fruits and vegetables along with lean cuts of meat and fish are best, but sometimes I need the convenience of a protein bar. However, I've noticed that I've gained weight and was wondering if it could be the protein bars I've been eating.

People keep telling me that it's muscle and not fat weight, but come on...my clothes are too tight! I was in denial for some time, but now I've come to terms with it and am determined to lose the fat that's covering my muscles.

The protein bars are fairly high-calorie, so instead of eating a whole one, I'll eat half. Maybe it's the high carb content that's making me gain? I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. These bars are supposedly "good" for you, but I'm beginning to think otherwise. I usually eat a whole Myoplex Lite (Peanut Butter Crisp) or half of a MetRX Big 100 in case anyone is wondering!

My husband eats these all of the time and had had no problems maintaining a LOW body fat percentage. NO JFAIR!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Protein bars causing weight gain?

Any long term weight gain usually reflects an excess of calories.

Your body doesn't much care whether the excess is carbs, proteins or fat...all excess will get converted to stored bodyfat.

So it really is the total you must look at. You can lower the total by eating fewer protein bars or cutting out something else in your diet.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
    snuggle377
    (female)

snuggle377 HB User
    Re: Protein bars causing weight gain?

Lenin, thanks for your reply. I thought that perhaps it was the excess carbs that were causing the weight gain...I guess I've been eating more than I wanted to realize. Plus, I was out of the gym recently for about 5 weeks due to surgery and didn't adjust my caloric intake as much as I should have. I know for sure that my weight was in check when I was a calorie-counting freak! Staying in shape is so frustrating sometimes.

Closed Thread