It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Aspartame Urban Legend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #16
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starsofglass
    People take personal choices, weighing possible down sides and positive effects. Not stepping in a car makes my life a HELL of a lot more difficult. Whereas cutting aspartame from my diet doesn't give me any inconveniences whatsoever.

And like I said, I don't like the taste of aspartame anyway.

By the way, I rarely jaywalk, only when there isn't a car in sight. Even when I'm allowed to cross the road, I always look carefully before crossing. I don't have a driver's licence, but I only ride with people that I know are responsible and good drivers. I take risks into consideration, eliminating them completely is impossible, but I try to limit them.

Please leave me my freedom to make my own choices, without making me sound like a fool.

PS: I'm not only concerned about aspartame and cancer, simply all the negative effects it can have.

I realize you have other reasons....and many people do. But the Reason of Cancer just doesnt fly. I wasnt trying to direct the comment specifically at you....but trying to make it more of a generalization. You just happened to be the one that made the initial comment.

Its Like if Someone Says they dont eat aspartame because of the chance of cancer and then continue to smoke their cigarette.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #17
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

I don't smoke either

But I get your point

Old 11-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #18
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

What are you talking about..there has been tons of proof that aspertame has caused cancer in people. I could list at least 20 different health sites. I am a true believer that aspertame is by far the worst and most dangerous sugar replacement ever made. Why did the FDA approve it? Because it's cheaper and they get rich off it, that's all they care about. That goes for Spenda and NutiSweet as well as all the other artificial "Sugar-Free" crap out there.

Of course yall are entitled to your own opinion but please, do your research..the truth is out there and the net is best way to find it.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #19
    nedfrin
    (male)

nedfrin HB User

if you believe anything ENGINEERED is good for you, or used in a healthy lifestyle... you are extremely stupid.

Weight loss from chemicals
    Lifespan loss from chemicals

you decide?

anyways, soda altogether is not good for you. Carbination is bad for you kidneys as well..; teeth ... much more..-

And- why give "false" treats to yourself (Diet Soda being one)... In the long term, you fake your satisfaction. You never heard of an "Aspartamin" Sweet-tooth, have you?
    Mainly, in the eyes of great beholders, exercise and what-is-grown-naturally-on-earth;foods; give the most benefits in weight loss and greening longevity.

Last edited by nedfrin; 11-24-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #20
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bev92
    What are you talking about..there has been tons of proof that aspertame has caused cancer in people. I could list at least 20 different health sites. I am a true believer that aspertame is by far the worst and most dangerous sugar replacement ever made. Why did the FDA approve it? Because it's cheaper and they get rich off it, that's all they care about. That goes for Spenda and NutiSweet as well as all the other artificial "Sugar-Free" crap out there.

Of course yall are entitled to your own opinion but please, do your research..the truth is out there and the net is best way to find it.
    Tons of Proof of Cancer???? Show me One? If there was proof...it would be off the market in so many countries. Check with the american cancer society.....if there was any proof they would definatley know about it.....yet for some strange reason...they dont! why? because there isnt any.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:52 AM   #21
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:

Bev,

I could not have agreed with you anymore. In fact I say this all the time. It is an alarming testimony when the head honcho of the FDA comes and and blows the whistle on them. As for people that want to keep their head in the sand about the whole scam that goes on with the FDA that's on them.

I also think anybody debating over whether or not ARTIFICIAL anything is good for you really should keep that on another board since this is the diet and nutrition board and as far as I can read by the posting rules this board is about HEALTHY NUTRITION in your daily diet and I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that artificial sweetner is good for your health even if you do believe is it not a danger...Lisa

Old 11-25-2005, 05:09 AM   #22
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Lisa,

I believe to the extent that it replaces sugar that might otherwise be eaten, that yes, artificial sweetners ARE good for your health. The more tendency one has to diabtes and obesity, the more true is is.

I am of sound mind and body, no hint of insanity.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #23
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Lisa,

I believe to the extent that it replaces sugar that might otherwise be eaten, that yes, artificial sweetners ARE good for your health. The more tendency one has to diabtes and obesity, the more true is is.

There are healthier alternatives for diabetics than Artificial sweetners. I have family members that use Honey Leaf (Stevia)...Lisa

Old 11-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #24
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

STEVIA is NOT approved as a food additive by the FDA. It has not been tested for safety nor submitted for approval.
    It tastes bitter to boot...and it costs many times as much as any other sugar substitutes...that ARE approved for safety.

Of the millions and millions of diabetics, I'll bet FAR fewer than 1%...or even .1% rely on sttevia as their choice for sugar replacement.

It's natural, big deal; so is sodium cyanide.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-25-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #25
    nedfrin
    (male)

nedfrin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Lisa,

Perfectly True. BUT- In a healthy lifestyle, "HEALTHY NUTRITION- Moxie"quoted,

Sugar is not suppose to be used in a "healthy nutrition", nor "overused".. Not saying sugars bad completely, in excess, it is.
    Excess= poor nutrition.

This all comes together. Why are you debating about sweetners and such?, Dont sweeten the coffee, dont use that sugar, then you disregard reason for such purpose of topic. Natural or nothing is a key

Old 11-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #26
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipermac
    Tons of Proof of Cancer???? Show me One? If there was proof...it would be off the market in so many countries. Check with the american cancer society.....if there was any proof they would definatley know about it.....yet for some strange reason...they dont! why? because there isnt any.
    Yes, pipermac, tons of proof! I'd love to show you one, if we were allowed to post links that is. It WOULDN'T be off the market because they make so much money off it, why would they want to end that? The reason why I wouldn't check with the american cancer society is because they're all apart of it too. How do you think they make their living? Think about it..

And Moxie75...I agree with you about the stevia replacement. I use stevia too, it's wonderful. It's natural! It's a herb. It's very beneficial to one's health. If anyone wants to replace normal refined sugar then I'd definitely recommend stevia!!

Lenin...Hmm I wonder why it hasn't been approved by the FDA? Maybe because it's natural...

Old 11-25-2005, 05:46 PM   #27
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Lenin...Hmm I wonder why it hasn't been approved by the FDA? Maybe because it's natural...

It hasn't been approved as safe by the FDA because no studies were presented that SHOWED stevia to be safe when used as a food additive. For approval, such studies must be DONE and PRESENTED before they are approved. Aspartame manufacturer did the tests and proved it was safe...and the FDA agreed.

Stevia CANNOT legally be used as a food additive because the coundn't or wouldn't do the required testing. Thus it must be bought and sold as a SUPPLEMENT that requires no proof of safety or efficacy...or even DOSAGE. Requirements for food additives are FAR more stringent in order to prevent mass poisonings.
    You can put almost anything or, indeed, NOTHING into a supplement...all you need do is market it with "urban legends." All you CAN'T do is claim it cures any disease or treats any health condition.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-25-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #28
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
    Yes, pipermac, tons of proof! I'd love to show you one, if we were allowed to post links that is. It WOULDN'T be off the market because they make so much money off it, why would they want to end that? The reason why I wouldn't check with the american cancer society is because they're all apart of it too. How do you think they make their living? Think about it..

And Moxie75...I agree with you about the stevia replacement. I use stevia too, it's wonderful. It's natural! It's a herb. It's very beneficial to one's health. If anyone wants to replace normal refined sugar then I'd definitely recommend stevia!!

So the American Diabetes association is in on it as is the Canadian diabetes association and the Canadian Cancer association....as well as Ever othe association in the world?????????

And Guess Who Benefits if it can be proven Dangerous? The Sugar Companies! you dont they they have everything to gain by helping spread the rumours of the dangers?

Lets say for a minute that YES The FDA is wrong and they approved it because of money even though it wasnt safe. The FDA only has juristiction in the USA.....what about every other country in the world.....did they all get "PAID" off as well? if it really were that easy to pay them all off....then wouldnt you think that The Sugar Manufactures would have been able to at least pay off at least one organization to declare it dangerous??????

Yes there are claims on the internet that Brain tumors were cause by aspartame....but not one has been proven. Just because there are Claims does not mean it has been proven. If it had been proven there would have been many many Lawsuits.

The Best story I read is how Aspartame has been linked to Breast Cancer because since 1981 (the Year it was Approved) the Cases of Breast cancer has more then doubled. Well I guess it must Be Aspartame!!!!! Couldnt be anything else!

Old 11-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #29
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

An Added Point about Stevia.

Stevia IS not approved by the FDA as a Food Additive....This is completely True. Which means technically you are not allowed Sell it as a Sweetner but only as a herb.

Part of the Problem with Stevia is that there have been some studies that have "Reportedly" indicated some problems....The possiblity of cancer and a decrease in fertility are two of them.
    But there have not been any Serious studies done.

Who knows if there really are any problems with it or not.....but just because something is natural does not make it any more safer then something artificial.

Bottom line is that we cant just assume that IT is safer then artificial sweetners until more Studies have been done. Many People believe tthat Stevia will become the sweetner of the future. Only time will tell.

an Interesting note is that In Japan Stevia is actually used in Diet Coke!

It probably is safe.....but at this point we cant really know.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:12 AM   #30
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:

Bev,

you hit the nail right on the head with the FDA factor.Besides the fact the FDA who also appoved Vioxx and other such killer drugs. I think their track record is an alarming testimony to their state of mind. How much is Merck going down the tubes for again? On the sweetner debate I am not diabetic and I use raw organic sugar and organic maple syrup..Lisa

Closed Thread