It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board

  • Aspartame Urban Legend

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #31
    Moxie75
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: PA
    Posts: 1,192
    Moxie75 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    I pulled this off of *****:

    Rat Study Shows Cancer, Aspartame Link

    By Salynn Boyles, ***** Medical News

    Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD Friday, November 18, 2005


    More From *****


    Nov. 18, 2005 - A study in rats links the popular artificial sweetener aspartame to a wide range of cancers, but industry officials charge that the research is badly flawed.

    Aspartame is found in the low-calorie sweetener Equal and in many other sugar-free products under the brand name NutraSweet. It is the second best-selling nonsugar sweetener in the world.

    Researchers in Italy concluded that rats exposed to varying doses of aspartame throughout their lives developed leukemias, lymphomas, and several other cancers in a dose-dependent manner.

    They report that the product is a potential cancer-causing agent to humans even at levels that are less than half of what is considered safe by the U.S. government...Lisa

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #32
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    pipermac's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Bramton, Ontario
    Posts: 553
    pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    thats the study I was talking about. Notice that it does say that Industry officials say that it is badly flawded.

     
    Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #33
    Moxie75
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: PA
    Posts: 1,192
    Moxie75 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipermac
    thats the study I was talking about. Notice that it does say that Industry officials say that it is badly flawded.
    Yes I did notice but are you willing to take a risk that it is? I know I'm not. You know my drill I try to keep as clean as I can with diet because I know that there are many toxins I cannot avoid. ..Happy Friday, Lisa

     
    Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #34
    Bev92
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Bev92's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Posts: 164
    Bev92 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Moxie..you are so right, I wouldn't want to take the risk either...not worth it one bit.

    Pipermac..I've been reading about studies that have been done on aspartame for a long, long time. One huge article is called "Aspartame's Horror Background...The letter to NM Government Bill Richardson" And much more..that I found on conspiracy sites that I visit often. It's got lots about the FDA and more. Although the sites are usually tampered with from the gov trying to shut them down because they're getting the truth out to the world. But If you do some searches I bet you'll find it and I bet it'll change the way you feel about this dangerous sweetener. That is, if you even want to know the truth.

     
    Old 12-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #35
    Angie91878
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Angie91878's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Location: New Jersey
    Posts: 5
    Angie91878 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Hi everyone,

    I think it's difficult for people to accept things like this. Many of us have grown up drinking diet coke or diet pepsi, thinking it was completely okay! Now we hear people talking about the harmful effects of aspartame, and that it can even cause cancer...it's like a slap in the face!

    The truth is, these artificial sweeteners are harmful to us. They are simply not natural, and I think our bodies don't really want them! I even read recently that consuming aspartame contributes to low serotonin levels.

    Also, consuming aspartame is NOT good for people trying to lose weight, after all! It leaves you unsatisfied, and therefore, you end up eating more!

    My thoughts are: keep it fun and natural! The rewards are huge! Eat lots of veggies, get lots of love, and enjoy life!

    All the best,
    Angie

     
    Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #36
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    pipermac's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Bramton, Ontario
    Posts: 553
    pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Bev....I have read Many of the items on the Web about the "Dangers" I have also read Many of the Items about the Safety. I have weighed in on Both and have made the decision that I believe they are safe. There has never been one Case to PROVE that it has caused cancer in anybody. I have also found that Most of the Studies that have found it to be a problem have been funded my the Sugar industries. Ether way you look at it...there are people on Both sides that stand to Make a Lot of Money Regardless of if it is safe or not. The Point that probably affects my Decision the most is that there has not been a single Organization in The World to Declare them Dangerous and not approve them.

    There may be corruption problems with the FDA...and maybe the FDA can be bought. But I live in Canada...and Up Here Our standards are much higher when it comes to approving Food Additives. There have been many things that have been approved in the US that has not been in Canada. Canada Actually has Banned Sacharrin even though it is not banned in the US. This after it was found that Sacharrin was actually Safe......and that the threat of Cancer with Sacharrin only existed in people that had a specific predisposed condition...and that they would have to have the equivalent of 800 cans of diet soda a day for life for it to be an issue.

    I Personnally would be much more concerned about the Toxins in our homes from Cleaning supplies etc... then I would artificial sweetners.

    Moxie.....Do you also go Organic with your cleaning supplies and Shanmpoo..etc....?

    This Is some thing my Wife and I have started to do with the upcoming birth of our first son.

    Would anyone put something containing Formaldihyde on their Child?

    This is would you would be doing if you used Johnson Baby Shampoo!

    For Products in your home there is not any regulatory body to ensure that things are safe. These items dont even have to have their ingrediants on the label. The Products in your homes should be a much bigger concern then artificial sweetner.

     
    Old 12-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #37
    evil bear
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    evil bear's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 3
    evil bear HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Look up for your own sake, it's not an urban legend. It goes as far as there being aspartame survivers centers in the US. It can cause neurological damage to you, rendering you blind, known to cause Sudden Cardiac Death, seizures, disorientation, hyperactivity, extreme numbness, excitability, memory loss, loss of depth perception, liver impairment, severe mood swings and DEATH. I know you probably think it's hype, and if it was so bad for you then they would ban it. This just shows a complete faith in the FDA. They haven't pulled it off the market because the death rate is still acceptable, as if that's a good excuse. True a little aspartame wouldn't kill you out right, but regular consumption will harm you in the end, those diet cokes may catch up to you sooner then you think. Hell they thought lead paint and playing with mercury were ok things to do, not so much now.

     
    Old 12-04-2005, 10:36 PM   #38
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    pipermac's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Bramton, Ontario
    Posts: 553
    pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evil bear
    Look up for your own sake, it's not an urban legend. It goes as far as there being aspartame survivers centers in the US. It can cause neurological damage to you, rendering you blind, known to cause Sudden Cardiac Death, seizures, disorientation, hyperactivity, extreme numbness, excitability, memory loss, loss of depth perception, liver impairment, severe mood swings and DEATH. I know you probably think it's hype, and if it was so bad for you then they would ban it. This just shows a complete faith in the FDA. They haven't pulled it off the market because the death rate is still acceptable, as if that's a good excuse. True a little aspartame wouldn't kill you out right, but regular consumption will harm you in the end, those diet cokes may catch up to you sooner then you think. Hell they thought lead paint and playing with mercury were ok things to do, not so much now.

    Ok....Show me where it says that They think this is acceptable and thats why they wont ban it. that is just plain stupid. It is not KNOWN to cause any of these things. Some people say that it does....And some people will try to blame things like this on it. But there has been no proof that it causes any of these things. If you want to say you dont want to have any because It might cause something or because you dont know if it will....then that is fine. Everyone can make their own decisions. but Dont Say things that just plain are not true.

    I am a diabetic and I have used Aspartame all of mt life. If I found out tomorrow that I had cancer I would not go and blame it on Aspartame. There are too many other things that may have caused it. but there are many people out there that would Blame aspartame and then there would be stories that this person got cancer because of aspartame. this is how stories like this get started. But it doesnt prove anything. The Toxins in all your home products are the more likely candidates.



    Why Does Everyone always just bring up the FDA????? they arent the only organization in the world. Others have not banned it either. The Cancer society doesnt even say that it is a risk.....They would have no reason not to declare it a risk.

    I bet you also believe that they really didnt land on the moon too.

     
    Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #39
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    pipermac's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Bramton, Ontario
    Posts: 553
    pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Let Me add...There is a Very good...Unbiased Article on Aspartame at Greenfacts.org Please check it out.

     
    Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 AM   #40
    Moxie75
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: PA
    Posts: 1,192
    Moxie75 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    I Personnally would be much more concerned about the Toxins in our homes from Cleaning supplies etc... then I would artificial sweetners.

    Moxie.....Do you also go Organic with your cleaning supplies and Shanmpoo..etc....?

    This Is some thing my Wife and I have started to do with the upcoming birth of our first son.

    Would anyone put something containing Formaldihyde on their Child?

    This is would you would be doing if you used Johnson Baby Shampoo!

    For Products in your home there is not any regulatory body to ensure that things are safe. These items dont even have to have their ingrediants on the label. The Products in your homes should be a much bigger concern then artificial sweetner.[/QUOTE]

    I agree with this point that you make and also on the Canadian guidelines as opposed to the US. I do use organic hair product and skin care, I also have filters on my shower water that prevent toxins from being absorbed through the skin on the cleaner note I use vinegar and baking soda for most but I cannot seem to break the ole bleach habit ( i have this thing that it kills germs the best) and I know that chlorine is one of the worst toxins to breath in. I use it sparingly and diluted and I do use a mask when cleaning with it. Like i said previously I really try to refrain from as many toxins as I can. I do not use the microwave I do not cook with any non stick frying pans only stainless steel and I use pressure cooker for whole grains and veggies. You have your aspartame and I have me bleach so if we keep going the route we are we will both be better off. I think it's great you and your wife are concerned for your little Angel that will be arriving soon. Being pro-active with safety as a parent is the best gift you can give to your child..I wish you and your wife well, Lisa

     
    Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 AM   #41
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    pipermac's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Bramton, Ontario
    Posts: 553
    pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    ya...the biggest shock to me was when I found that there is practically NO testing of the Safety of all these Items. Like Most I naturally assumed that these products went through an approval process liked food additives do. one thing I heard is that when and if they are tested....that all they need is more then 50% of the lab animals to survive in order for it to be OK.

    Myu Wife and I are going to a Seminar Put on by our Prenatel Teacher next week all about toxins in the home. Did you know that TIDE is one of the worst Laundry detergents to use? especcially for babies. Our teacher tells us how often she sees babies with rashes under their eyes........from leaning their face against the parents chest. Most of the time these parents are using Tide....they stop using it..and the rashes go away.

     
    Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #42
    Moxie75
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: PA
    Posts: 1,192
    Moxie75 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipermac
    ya...the biggest shock to me was when I found that there is practically NO testing of the Safety of all these Items. Like Most I naturally assumed that these products went through an approval process liked food additives do. one thing I heard is that when and if they are tested....that all they need is more then 50% of the lab animals to survive in order for it to be OK.

    Myu Wife and I are going to a Seminar Put on by our Prenatel Teacher next week all about toxins in the home. Did you know that TIDE is one of the worst Laundry detergents to use? especcially for babies. Our teacher tells us how often she sees babies with rashes under their eyes........from leaning their face against the parents chest. Most of the time these parents are using Tide....they stop using it..and the rashes go away.
    I know. Well since my daughter has eczema since birth we can only use unscented natural detergents and unscented fabric softener.
    they are more expensive but it's worth it..Lisa

     
    Old 12-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #43
    Bev92
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Bev92's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Posts: 164
    Bev92 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipermac
    Bev....I have read Many of the items on the Web about the "Dangers" I have also read Many of the Items about the Safety. I have weighed in on Both and have made the decision that I believe they are safe. There has never been one Case to PROVE that it has caused cancer in anybody. I have also found that Most of the Studies that have found it to be a problem have been funded my the Sugar industries. Ether way you look at it...there are people on Both sides that stand to Make a Lot of Money Regardless of if it is safe or not. The Point that probably affects my Decision the most is that there has not been a single Organization in The World to Declare them Dangerous and not approve them.

    There may be corruption problems with the FDA...and maybe the FDA can be bought. But I live in Canada...and Up Here Our standards are much higher when it comes to approving Food Additives. There have been many things that have been approved in the US that has not been in Canada. Canada Actually has Banned Sacharrin even though it is not banned in the US. This after it was found that Sacharrin was actually Safe......and that the threat of Cancer with Sacharrin only existed in people that had a specific predisposed condition...and that they would have to have the equivalent of 800 cans of diet soda a day for life for it to be an issue.

    I Personnally would be much more concerned about the Toxins in our homes from Cleaning supplies etc... then I would artificial sweetners.

    Moxie.....Do you also go Organic with your cleaning supplies and Shanmpoo..etc....?

    This Is some thing my Wife and I have started to do with the upcoming birth of our first son.

    Would anyone put something containing Formaldihyde on their Child?

    This is would you would be doing if you used Johnson Baby Shampoo!

    For Products in your home there is not any regulatory body to ensure that things are safe. These items dont even have to have their ingrediants on the label. The Products in your homes should be a much bigger concern then artificial sweetner.
    pip..I respect your decision that you think it is safe. The point earlier I was trying to make is that all of the organizations are all the same, they're together. So they wouldn't declare them dangerous or not approve them because they're all apart of it. They're goal was to make sugar cheaper by producing it artificially. I'm Canadian too! And I know exactly what you're talking about with the US, how much more has been approved there as it has not been, here. But aspertame is everywhere. Did you know that aspertame was actually banned here in Canada at one time? Why they reapproved it I'll always wonder. However I know they main reason why aspertame is even alive is because of the money and the shares that the government has with it. I understand that you're not keen on that subject but I definitely am.

    As far as the home cleaning products go, everything man-made will always have something bad in them. Of course..they're artificial. But to tell you the truth, I've never been more concerned with cleaning products than I am with the food we put in our bodies.

    By the way, congrats on the new baby, must be exciting!

     
    Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #44
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    pipermac's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Bramton, Ontario
    Posts: 553
    pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bev92
    pip..I respect your decision that you think it is safe. The point earlier I was trying to make is that all of the organizations are all the same, they're together. So they wouldn't declare them dangerous or not approve them because they're all apart of it. They're goal was to make sugar cheaper by producing it artificially. I'm Canadian too! And I know exactly what you're talking about with the US, how much more has been approved there as it has not been, here. But aspertame is everywhere. Did you know that aspertame was actually banned here in Canada at one time? Why they reapproved it I'll always wonder. However I know they main reason why aspertame is even alive is because of the money and the shares that the government has with it. I understand that you're not keen on that subject but I definitely am.

    As far as the home cleaning products go, everything man-made will always have something bad in them. Of course..they're artificial. But to tell you the truth, I've never been more concerned with cleaning products than I am with the food we put in our bodies.

    By the way, congrats on the new baby, must be exciting!

    Thanks....It is Exciting...6 weeks to go!

    I just dont think it is Fair to Lump Every Organization Together and say that they are all the same. It seems somewhat cynical to do so. I have never Found anything that says that aspartame was Every banned in canada.....Sacharrin yes...but not Aspartame.

     
    Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 PM   #45
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    starsofglass's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 543
    starsofglass HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

    I don't buy the conspiracy thing either. In my country the production of real sugar is an important factor, whereas artificial sweeteners aren't, that I know of. So my country has nothing to gain from hiding the harming effects of aspartame etc.
    Furthermore, I'm studying international relations, and I don't believe for one minute that every single health organisation in the world can be in a conspiracy, if that were possible, world peace would be possible.

    Last edited by starsofglass; 12-05-2005 at 11:39 PM.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Aspartame and Cellulite girlygirl11 Diet & Nutrition 5 08-29-2005 06:23 PM
    Aspartame Caffeine Withdrawal - moved to Diet and Nutrition Kam131 Diet & Nutrition 17 07-22-2004 12:13 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!