It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Aspartame Urban Legend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #46
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

the Problem with making an Informed decision. on just about anything is MONEY. Now Days Very very few things are ever done if there is not any Money to made from it. Trying to Find a Study that is truly unbiased just doesnt exist. To do these studies It costs lots of money. Who is going to pay for them? Its either going to be the Artificial Sweetner industry since if they can show it is safe...then they will make lots of money....or it is the Sugar industry...who will make lots of money it it is found to be unsafe. How does the "Person" that funds an impartial Study gain? They dont! so that is why you will find very few impartial Studies. This Applies to just about everything...not just artificial sweetners.

It is truly sad that the world has come to this point where essentially nothing gets done if it can not turn a profit. Because of this we have become a very cynical Society. We find it more and more difficult to believe anybody. Because we gennerally automatically assume that "Somone" would not do "this" if they werent gaining themselves.

I Make an effort to try and not be too cynical...and maybe sometimes to a fault. This May be why I choose to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that Artificial sweetners are safe.

but at the Same Time it is the cynical part of me that also helps make this decision. In the World we live in now...nobody seems to like to take Responsibily for anything. They Always try to find others to blame. With the Proliferation of Lawsuits...particularily in the US. It makes it very profitable for people to blame others for there own misfortunes. If a Person has been drinking Diet soda all of their life and suddenly they develop cancer...they dont want to accept that they may not know what caused it...so they will latch on to the theory that it was the aspartame that caused it....It will make them feel better because they then have something to blame. Once they have something to blame they can then try and sue and make money from it.

So I guess I am actually more cynical then I would like to be.....as when I see a book about the Dangers of Aspartame....PArt of me sees the Author as someone Benefitting and profiting from their view! They all have something to gain...and you can bet they would not have written their book if they were not getting something out of it for themselves.

It has become more and more Difficult to Truly make informed decisions about anything these days.

Another problem is that More people then not...do not make informed decisions. They Read one or two books, or Articles about a topic and Take what has been said at face value. we assume that if it was written by a "Scientist" or "doctor" then they must know what they are talking about. But we forget these people are Humans and jsut because those are their professions...it does not make them good honest people or makes them immmune from making mistakes.

Just look at the proliferation of Chain E-mail. So Many People take what is in these e-mails at face value and believe the stories they read....without any evidence that the story is true. We Dont have the time ourselves to Research things and try to really find the truth.....so we largely give the benefit of the doubt that what we are told is the truth.

The Truth is......None of us really know if artificial sweetners are safe or not. Most of us dont really know what is safe and what is not when it comes to chemicals.

But one thing that is true and fact is that in the Last 30 - 50 years Incidents Of Cancer, Asma, Exema, Etc Etc have Grown Exponentially. and Is becoming an epedemic. 100 years ago IT is estimated that 1 in 3000 people would develop cancer....now it is 1 in 3.

Can we blame any one thing for this? No. It is a combination of things and the accumulation of things. Chemicals in General need to be considered the primary cause.

During World war 2 Many new chemical were Made......their primary purpose to be used in Warfare. Now We are using these same chemicals in our home..in our food, our cleaning supplies, our Cosmetics. There Is no way to truly know the effects these have on us.....but we can be sure that they must have some sort of effect on us.

We will never be able to Completely avoid all of these things. In the world the way it is it makes it too difficult. But We as Individuals can make the decision for ourselves when the benefits out weigh the risks.

My Stance has been starting to Change Recently an I must say that I strongly agree with Moxie on one point. If it is artificial...it was not meant for us to consume.

it does not mean I have change my opinion about the safety of Artificial Sweetners. but I have become more neutral. And If you can avoid it...then why not avoid it...it is better to be safe then sorry.

I will most likely Still Eat Products with Artificial Sweetners...mainly because i am diabetic it they help me keep my blood sugars down. For me the potential risks of aspartame do not out weight the befit I get from keeping my diabetes in control.

but If I can avoid it....I will. As With other things.....I am in the progress now of removing all toxins from my home and I am planning to eat more organic whenever I can.

We cant remove all the toxins from our lives....but we sure can cut them down as much as we can.

If "you" do not consume Aspartame because of the potenial danger then I truly hope you also follow this philosophy when it comes to other foods and products. If it is just aspartame you are cutting out.....then dont bother...because I dont believe that is enough......Its not any one thing causing all these problems ...its the accumulation of many different things. You need to Remove Many of these toxins to truly make a difference with your life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #47
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Moxie...... I would like to know more about The things you do and the Products you use.

If you have the time you can send me an E-mail at [ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2005 at 09:24 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #48
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

I use alot of Burt's Bees products and EarthScience. By the way I love your post above about the incidents of illnesses now as opposed to then. Also you may want to take note that people think skin cancer is mostly caused by the sun well I have a different view on that.. I think alot of the products we put on our skin such as sun blocks are highly toxic and cause more damage to our skin than the sun itself. Sun exposure is full of vitamin D of course in moderation...Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 12-06-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #49
    plymouth
    Veteran

plymouth HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie75
    Why do you think people in Africa never get skin cancer but yet they are in the sun all day long? Anyway that's for another topic..Lisa
    Not true Lisa. The highest rates of skin cancer are found in South Africa and Australia, the parts of the world with the highest UV radiation.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #50
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plymouth
    Not true Lisa. The highest rates of skin cancer are found in South Africa and Australia, the parts of the world with the highest UV radiation.
    I just read a book that states they have the lowest. It's a book about excitoxins that stated that. I guess the info was wrong then. My mistake. I still beleive that the junk we put on our skin is a culprit to alot of skin issues..Lisa

Old 12-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #51
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Heh...that kind of shows my point...What do you believe? one Source say The rate is low...and another say it is one of the highest!

Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #52
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipermac
    Heh...that kind of shows my point...What do you believe? one Source say The rate is low...and another say it is one of the highest!
    And like I always say we have to go by our own experiences..Do you have access to those products in canada that I mentioned?

Lisa

Old 12-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #53
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

you guys could go back and forth all day on this, it doesn't look like anyone is convincing anyone on their view.

What about moderation? If you spend enough time on the internet or reading magazines and newspapers I guarantee every day you can find a new "poison" of the day that was reported to be good for twop days before.

My point is, for the average person it is impossible to avoid all"unnatural" food sources all the time. I really don't think anyhting is that harmful to you if you use it in moderation. Sure, if you drank 20 diet cokes a day you may find yourself with a higher risk for something, but come on guys, get real - consuming artificial anything on an occasional basis is not going to kill you.

These days, one could argue ANYTHING will kill you...from the city you live in (pollution) to the mattress you sleep on (allergens) to the location you put your toothbrush (next to the toilet? you must have poop on it and therefore you will get E. Coli!!) Just try to eat healthy and only consume "bad things" in moderation.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #54
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjewell
    you guys could go back and forth all day on this, it doesn't look like anyone is convincing anyone on their view.

What about moderation? If you spend enough time on the internet or reading magazines and newspapers I guarantee every day you can find a new "poison" of the day that was reported to be good for twop days before.

My point is, for the average person it is impossible to avoid all"unnatural" food sources all the time. I really don't think anyhting is that harmful to you if you use it in moderation. Sure, if you drank 20 diet cokes a day you may find yourself with a higher risk for something, but come on guys, get real - consuming artificial anything on an occasional basis is not going to kill you.

These days, one could argue ANYTHING will kill you...from the city you live in (pollution) to the mattress you sleep on (allergens) to the location you put your toothbrush (next to the toilet? you must have poop on it and therefore you will get E. Coli!!) Just try to eat healthy and only consume "bad things" in moderation.

You are so right..I am going home and having a martini..LOL Have a good one guys, Lisa

Old 12-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #55
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LOL - that sounds good!

Old 12-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #56
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie75
    Also you may want to take note that people think skin cancer is mostly caused by the sun well I have a different view on that.. I think alot of the products we put on our skin such as sun blocks are highly toxic and cause more damage to our skin than the sun itself. Sun exposure is full of vitamin D of course in moderation...Lisa
    Moxie...I highly agree with you on that subject. I remember printing out a huge report a while back about it, and how it makes so much sense. My mother lived in the tropics all her life when she was young and she lived in the sun. Every one of her friends were healthier than anyone you'd find that lives in normal places. And you never hear of africans and such getting cancer. I think the skin cancer and sun theory is totally a make up. Sun is good for you, god made it! Of course..that's for another topic though.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #57
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

Quote:
    Another problem is that More people then not...do not make informed decisions. They Read one or two books, or Articles about a topic and Take what has been said at face value. we assume that if it was written by a "Scientist" or "doctor" then they must know what they are talking about. But we forget these people are Humans and jsut because those are their professions...it does not make them good honest people or makes them immmune from making mistakes.
    I agree with that, pip. I get so annoyed when I hear someone say "Oh well, My doctor said this will kill me.." or "He said I only have 2 months left to live"..etc. People just won't take the time to research things on their own and make their own decision. I guess it is all about what WE feel is right and then we make that resolution to believe if something is safe or not. Everyone will always agree or disagree and that's how it'll always be.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #58
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

True ......But then what would we have to talk about!

True as well.....but the biggest problem is not any one thing... It's Everything put together. Part of the Problem is that with Most Harmful things they say say that Exposure is Safe up to a certain Level. So That means we can eat so much of "A" a day without any issues. but what if we are also eating "B", "c", "D", "E" and "F", and they all have the same Danger....suddenly we are are above the Recommended safety level. It was any ONE thing that caused the problem....but when you put them all together.............This can be applied to anything. Maybe the Formaldyhyde in Johnsons Baby Shampoo is not enough to do anything to you.......but if you are also being exposed to it in 5 other household products.....now you are in danger.

Also When it comes to Household Toxins there really has not been a lot of Tests done...the truth is that we dont really know what is safe and what is not....because it is not regulated.

And this is the biggest problem.....Because Most people do not do things in moderation.

Last edited by pipermac; 12-07-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #59
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:

True ......But then what would we have to talk about!

True as well.....but the biggest problem is not any one thing... It's Everything put together. Part of the Problem is that with Most Harmful things they say say that Exposure is Safe up to a certain Level. So That means we can eat so much of "A" a day without any issues. but what if we are also eating "B", "c", "D", "E" and "F", and they all have the same Danger....suddenly we are are above the Recommended safety level. It was any ONE thing that caused the problem....but when you put them all together.............This can be applied to anything. Maybe the Formaldyhyde in Johnsons Baby Shampoo is not enough to do anything to you.......but if you are also being exposed to it in 5 other household products.....now you are in danger.

Also When it comes to Household Toxins there really has not been a lot of Tests done...the truth is that we dont really know what is safe and what is not....because it is not regulated.

And this is the biggest problem.....Because Most people do not do things in moderation.
    All true. It is scary to think of all the chemicals assaulting our bodies on a daily basis, but there are some things you can control and some you can't. Every once in a while I go through a phase of trying to rid myself of all toxins (I need to get an ionic filter, no more sugar, no more caffeine...AAHHH!) but I give up after a couple days, LOL. I guess we should just do what we can to be healthy and beyond that not let it consume our lives!

Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM   #60
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bev92
    Moxie...I highly agree with you on that subject. I remember printing out a huge report a while back about it, and how it makes so much sense. My mother lived in the tropics all her life when she was young and she lived in the sun. Every one of her friends were healthier than anyone you'd find that lives in normal places. And you never hear of africans and such getting cancer. I think the skin cancer and sun theory is totally a make up. Sun is good for you, god made it! Of course..that's for another topic though.
    I hope so, cause I sure love a good tan!

Closed Thread