It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Aspartame Urban Legend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #76
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjewell
    oh, I also forgot to mention that the original topic of this post was about aspartame specifically, not the American diet in general, so to your comment about "overlooking the point," I call B.S. on that as well since the topic was written specifically regarding aspartame.
    Your comments are pretty arrogant and I'm not sure why but if you want to get technical this is a diet/nutrition board and that means foods that are nutritious in our daily diet and I doubt anyone would argue the fact that aspartame is nutritious since it is not.

Last edited by BeachLvr58; 12-16-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #77
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie75
    You know this is so funny. I was taking ibuprofen every day thinking it was from work stress. Well here I still have the work stress but no headaches. I never made the connection until one day I did not have my raw sugar with me and i put a half sweet & low. I got a that same headache right afterwards. Now if I am out of of raw sugar or organic maple syrup I do not sweeten it at all...Lisa

Moxie75, i think sweet & low is sacchrin not aspartame. Aspartame is equal or nutra sweet. I saw a scientist on cnn speak of the debate of the low sweetners and he said sweet & low was better to use and then splends. Then a month later i saw on the today show where a scientist said splenda was better to use.

Diabetic (me) have a real dilemma, maybe i try stevia next.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #78
    skyguy
    (male)

skyguy HB User

Do try stevia if you need something sweet. It's derived from the leaves of an actual plant, so it can't be that bad for you. It's also VERY sweet. You might find it expensive, but it goes a long way.

It's my understanding that the evil corporations that sell the sugar "substitutes" don't want stevia to be labeled as a substitute. Instead they want it labeled as supplement. If people knew there was a safe alternative, they would lose a lot of money. Tell everyone you know who needs sweet and is currently using splenda/equal/sweet and low to try stevia and stick it to the man.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #79
    fiskj
    (male)

fiskj HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skyguy
    Do try stevia if you need something sweet. It's derived from the leaves of an actual plant, so it can't be that bad for you. It's also VERY sweet. You might find it expensive, but it goes a long way.

It's my understanding that the evil corporations that sell the sugar "substitutes" don't want stevia to be labeled as a substitute. Instead they want it labeled as supplement. If people knew there was a safe alternative, they would lose a lot of money. Tell everyone you know who needs sweet and is currently using splenda/equal/sweet and low to try stevia and stick it to the man.
    I tried this "natural product" arguement before. The judge just would not buy it though when I said "Hey man, marijuana is a natural leaf, so it must be OK". Also when I said "What do you mean; cocaine comes from a natural leaf of a plant, it can't be bad."

Just kidding. But I will make the point that even when something is natural it can hurt you. Some of the most potent poisons on earth are derived from the leaves, stems and flowers of plants.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 AM   #80
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

There is no Doubt that some natural products can be dangerous.

But it is almost definate that if it is not natural there is going to be some bad things in it.

The Main Problem with UNNatural things is that they are not Really tested well enough. and certain things that they may be causing...might not even get attributed to them.

Lets just say that Chemical X is added to Product Y Tests Are done and They cant find any danger in Chemical X so they approve it.

But what they dont know is that Very very slowly Chemical X Attacks the Immune system. The Person who is consuming Chemical X starts to get colds and Flu's more Ofton. But since colds and flu's are very comon place....no one will every link them to Chemical X.

The Biggest Problem with the Chemicals in Our foods and Products is That We Dont know what they are doing to us.

Amazingly Enough I have been Slowly changing my mind about a lot of things lately and am starting to follow the "Better Safe Then sorry" Way of Thinking.

I actually Bought Stevia Last Week and am now using that instead of Splenda!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2005, 06:06 AM   #81
    fiskj
    (male)

fiskj HB User

piper, I agree completely. There seems to be this tendancy for many people to just close their eyes to potential danger regarding all of these chemicals because people want to make use of the products benefits. People seem quite willing to potentially sacrifice years of their lives and quality of life in the end years so that they can indulge today. Furthermore, they will promote and defend the products that are potentially dangerous, probably to support the "misery loves company" factor.

Closed Thread