It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Aspartame Urban Legend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
    Miss Megara

Miss Megara HB User
    Aspartame Urban Legend

I just wanted to give a 'heads up' about aspartame. A lot of what I am reading here regarding it is called an 'urban legend'.

I drink Diet Coke on almost a daily basis, where as my sister-in-law won't so much as chew a piece of sugarless gum due to what she has 'read' on the internet about apartame and the like.

For those of you who love Diet Coke and are hesitant to drink it because of what you have read, I thought I'd post a link to ease your minds.

Edit - I can't get the link to work, copy and paste this in your browser:

REMOVED - PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMERCIAL WEBSITES

Last edited by moderator2; 11-23-2005 at 08:56 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no commercial websites or sites w/message boards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
    plymouth
    Veteran

plymouth HB User
    Re: Aspartame Urban Legend

Scientists at the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center in Bologna, Italy, decided to re-test aspartame and have recently published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives. They found about twice the normal rates of lymphoma and leukemia in laboratory rats.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plymouth
    Scientists at the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center in Bologna, Italy, decided to re-test aspartame and have recently published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives. They found about twice the normal rates of lymphoma and leukemia in laboratory rats.
    I totally agree with this post. I have read several books that also state this. Not to mention since I have given up aspartame I have yet to have a headache. I go by what my body tells me and as far as I'm concerned it does not agree with me at all. The funny thing is since given up artificial sweetners I have lost weight eating raw sugar..Lisa

Old 11-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie75
    I totally agree with this post. I have read several books that also state this. Not to mention since I have given up aspartame I have yet to have a headache. I go by what my body tells me and as far as I'm concerned it does not agree with me at all. The funny thing is since given up artificial sweetners I have lost weight eating raw sugar..Lisa
    My mother-in-law gave up the diet sodas and with it, her headaches and food cravings. She drinks regular Pepsi now. She's lost 8 lbs. and tells me she feels a lot better. My father-in-law won't give them up but he takes aspirin for his headaches almost every day. He sees the connection, but he's stubborn.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cookiepls
    My mother-in-law gave up the diet sodas and with it, her headaches and food cravings. She drinks regular Pepsi now. She's lost 8 lbs. and tells me she feels a lot better. My father-in-law won't give them up but he takes aspirin for his headaches almost every day. He sees the connection, but he's stubborn.
    You know this is so funny. I was taking ibuprofen every day thinking it was from work stress. Well here I still have the work stress but no headaches. I never made the connection until one day I did not have my raw sugar with me and i put a half sweet & low. I got a that same headache right afterwards. Now if I am out of of raw sugar or organic maple syrup I do not sweeten it at all...Lisa

Old 11-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plymouth
    And, if I remember correctly, it didn't matter how much aspartame.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starsofglass
    And, if I remember correctly, it didn't matter how much aspartame.
    I guess it is my time to Add Comments.

First off the recent study that was conducted has been considered to be extremely flawed...accordning to many Experts. In The Study they Let the Rats Live much longer then the Guidlines specify. Rats, Like Humans, Have a much higher rate of cancers in old age. thus Guidlines say that the rats lives must be terminated before they get too old. This was not done. The Age of termination is supposed to be and about 102 weeks.....In this study the last rat died and 159 weeks. 102 weeks is about the equivalent of 60 years for a human. Buy letting the rats live to an age where cancer is more prevelant there is no way to tell what the cancer could be attributed to.

Here is and interest tidbit:

Most scientific organizations that have weighed in on the question have come to the same conclusion, including the American Medical Association, the American Dietetic Association, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Cancer Society.

In its report on aspartame, the American Cancer Society concludes that "current evidence does not demonstrate any link between aspartame ingestion and increased cancer risk."

Old 11-24-2005, 03:47 AM   #8
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipermac
    Rats, Like Humans, Have a much higher rate of cancers in old age. thus Guidlines say that the rats lives must be terminated before they get too old. This was not done. The Age of termination is supposed to be and about 102 weeks.....In this study the last rat died and 159 weeks. 102 weeks is about the equivalent of 60 years for a human. Buy letting the rats live to an age where cancer is more prevelant there is no way to tell what the cancer could be attributed to.
    Even so, if the aspartame consuming rats have more cancers than the others, I'd say it's an indication.

Old 11-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Thank you Miss Magara,

These "urban legends" will never die. After a trillion doses are consumed the babble about how aspartame causes evey disease from lupus to Parkinson's goes on an on. It's the most widely used synthetic food additive in the history of the human race and has been given the seal of approval of virtually EVERY health organization on the planet and has been a diet aid for MILLIONS of people since the FDA approved it 30 years ago.

It is not surprising that the sugar institute WITH UNITED STATES TAXPAYER MONEY can buy a doctor in some silly clinic inh Bologna Italy to publish a paper claiming how superior sugar is. Thank God a FEW common products (like soda) can get by without adding to the pounds of sugar that Americans consume on a weekly basis.

"OOOOhhhh, I started drinking soda with aspartame and I fell, it must be dangerous."

If you get a headache from it, don't use it.

The aspartame-cancer connection is TOTALLY made up...there is no reputable medical source that would lend it's name to this "urban legend."

Those who prefer 9 teaspoons of sugar in a can of soda are free to indulge...I geess they'd put 20 teaspoons in if they could but then the soda would have to be eaten with a spoon.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-24-2005 at 05:58 AM.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:15 AM   #10
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
    Even so, if the aspartame consuming rats have more cancers than the others, I'd say it's an indication.

you might say it was an indication. buy the scientific community says that it isnt. it is not a reliable method of doing a study. I was just giving the basics of why the scientific community says that it is a flawed study.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:44 AM   #11
    MyPlague
    (male)

MyPlague HB User

IMO everyone should just listen to their body and decide for themselves.

If it makes you feel bad, then don't ingest it. If it doesn't, and you don't believe in the cancer talk...then go ahead.

Personally I just quit drinking soda all together. It's ALL bad for you in the end. Totally empty calories. I haven't had a soda in over 2 and a half years. I feel ALOT better because I only drink natural stuff....water...100 percent oj and rice milk.

Well.....that's not entirely true. I do like alcohol a bit...but usually it's red wine....

Old 11-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #12
    Miss Megara

Miss Megara HB User

Quote:
    IMO everyone should just listen to their body and decide for themselves.
    I totally agree with this statement. I mean some people are allergic to certain foods while others aren't. Where lies the difference with aspertame? Alleriges CAN come in the form of a headache and the like.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-24-2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 11-24-2005, 10:00 AM   #13
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

Well, I avoid aspartame like the plague. Not too difficult though because I never drink soda... I have no idea if there really is a link between aspartame and cancer, but I like to be on the careful side. And I hate the taste of aspartame anyway

Old 11-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
    pipermac
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
    Well, I avoid aspartame like the plague. Not too difficult though because I never drink soda... I have no idea if there really is a link between aspartame and cancer, but I like to be on the careful side. And I hate the taste of aspartame anyway
    you ever Jay Walk? Drive a car?....you have better chance Dieing do those...among other things....then you do getting cancer from aspartame.

Say you like to be on the careful side is the like saying you wont go in a car because you could be in an accident, or you wont cross the street cause you might get hit by a car. Actually it is worse then that since people die in car accidents and getting hit by cars on a regular basis. but there has NEVER been one case of cancer that has been attributed to Aspartame.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

People take personal choices, weighing possible down sides and positive effects. Not stepping in a car makes my life a HELL of a lot more difficult. Whereas cutting aspartame from my diet doesn't give me any inconveniences whatsoever.

And like I said, I don't like the taste of aspartame anyway.

By the way, I rarely jaywalk, only when there isn't a car in sight. Even when I'm allowed to cross the road, I always look carefully before crossing. I don't have a driver's licence, but I only ride with people that I know are responsible and good drivers. I take risks into consideration, eliminating them completely is impossible, but I try to limit them.

Please leave me my freedom to make my own choices, without making me sound like a fool.

PS: I'm not only concerned about aspartame and cancer, simply all the negative effects it can have.

Closed Thread