It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• what are some high-calorie vegetarian meals?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
    EseStud
    (male)

EseStud HB User
    what are some high-calorie vegetarian meals?

I would like some suggestions about this, since it seems that vegetarians tend to live long, healthy and happy lives, but I'm afraid I might lose weight if I do. I cannot afford to lose weight, as I am already skinny enough, and it is extremely easy for me to lose weight. I'm also physically active, I lift weights and try to stay fit, but I am trying to build muscle mass only, so I want excellent sources of protein without having to rely on meat, since meat has saturated fat, and I know we don't need any saturated fat in our diets. I already know tofu is one potential candidate, but any other suggestions would help, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Re: what are some high-calorie vegetarian meals?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EseStud
    . . . it seems that vegetarians tend to live long, healthy and happy lives,
    How did you reach that conclusion, out of curiosity?

Quote:
    and I know we don't need any saturated fat in our diets.
    And that one?

Quote:
    I already know tofu is one potential candidate, but any other suggestions would help, thanks.
    I'd go with tempeh myself. (You can probably tell I have concluded vegetarianism is not the way to go, but on top of that I don't think it is a good idea to eat unfermented soy products.) But you can get a reasonable balance of amino acids from eating varied vegetable sources of protein (there are plenty of sites that go into detail) which also are quite calorie dense. And good fats also provide calories (but alas some of the best are from animals).

Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
    llamamuffinmama

llamamuffinmama HB User

Here are some calorie dense plant-based foods. Work them into meals and you'll have no problem maintaining or gaining if you want to. The examples are to show you how to get plenty of calories while eating vegetarian, so they highlight more high-calorie foods, but of course you want to include plenty of lower-calorie fruits and veggies also, for all the great vitamins and other nutrients they provide.

peanut butter
    almond butter
    cashew butter
    tahini (sesame seed "butter")

examples: nut butter and jelly sandwich, rice noodles with tofu and vegetables in peanut sauce with crushed peanuts and lime wedges, snack on a sliced apple with some peanutbutter, lemon tahini dressing on a tempeh burger or over veggies, dried fruit dipped in tahini.

nuts and seeds. (macadamias and pine nuts are the highest in (healthy)fats and calories, but they're all pretty energy-packed.)

examples: snack on a handful of walnuts (have great omega fatty acid profile and are good for your heart) or other nuts.

avocado
    coconut
    dried fruits (figs, mango, apple, banana, apricot, plum, etc)
    sundried tomatoes (packed in oil)
    olives

examples: avocado club sandwich with egg/dairy-free mayo, lettuce, tomato, and veggie bacon on whole grain bread. coconut milk-based thai curry with tempeh or tofu and/or vegetables and a handful of cashews over brown rice. snack on dried fruits and nut or seed butter. rice pudding dessert made with coconut milk with some cinnamon and raisins thrown in
    and some lightly toasted shredded coconut on top. pasta tossed with oil-packed sundried tomatoes, artichokes, kalamata olives, spinach, red onion and whatever other veggies you like and with some nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.

soy products- tofu, tempeh, miso, mock meats, Vegenaise (awesome animal-free "mayo"), edamame (whole green soy beans), etc
    seitan- aka "meat of wheat" aka wheat gluten

examples: from mock meat deli slices in sandwiches to stir fry, scrambled tofu, tempeh reubens, soy yogurt with fresh fruit, seitan kebabs and more, the possibilities are pretty much endless.

whole grains: hearty breads, pastas, rice, quinoa, barley, oats, spelt, etc.
    legumes: chickpeas, lentils, kidneys, pintos, navy beans, you name it.

examples: casseroles with veggies and grains/pasta, like vegetable lasagne, hearty stews and chilis made with beans, hummus and whole wheat pita with veggies, felafel sandwiches with tahini and veggies, etc.

healthy plant oils, such as olive, canola, peanut, sesame, avocado, nut oils (like macadamia), hemp oil, flax oil, etc.

examples: you can use the first 4 for cooking/sauteeing pretty much anything depending on the flavor you are looking for. the others shouldn't be exposed to direct heat much. different oils have different smoke points, but they are versatile, and none of these have the cholesterol you find in animal fats.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #4
    F.R.O.S.T
    Inactive
    (male)

F.R.O.S.T HB User

Quote:
    and I know we don't need any saturated fat in our diets.
    AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:58 AM   #5
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

baked potato soup

heavy cream
    bag of grated cheese
    sour cream
    potatoes
    usually has bacon bits but can be substituted for vegan bacon bits

Old 01-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
    I'm also physically active, I lift weights and try to stay fit, but I am trying to build muscle mass only, so I want excellent sources of protein without having to rely on meat, since meat has saturated fat, and I know we don't need any saturated fat in our diets. I already know tofu is one potential candidate, but any other suggestions would help, thanks.

In addition to TOFU, other legumes provide copious amounts of cheap protein with almost no saturated fats and a large source of soluble fiber. Make your daily lunch choice a bean, split pea, or lentil soup.
    Learn to cook soups from the dried lequmes in large and freeze for easy later use.
    Legume protein is more readily usable if combined with other vegetable proteins like rice, corn or wheat. But one doesn't have to get religious about this; just try to get some variety.
    SOY protein can be considered the most perfect protein of the vegetable world.

I agree with your thinking; if you didn't eat another gram of saturated fat again you'd do fine...your body can make it, sometimes in great excess, from other fats, carbohydrates and even from protein.
    Thing is, if you drop your calories too low you will llose weight so make sure that your consumption of non-protein vegetarian foods is high enough.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-19-2006 at 05:43 AM.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
    stickydate
    (female)

stickydate HB User

I am vegan, and have been for over two years. I am a normal and healthy weight - I guess I eat lots of carby stuff like oats, bread, rice, pasta and lots of bean dishes, like dhal, chickpea curry, etc... I don't skimp on using oils, like olive oil, flax oil, sesame oil when I cook. I put avocado in salads and sandwiches, I snack on nuts, dried fruit (fresh fruit too), I use soy milk (hate soy yoghurt) and I eat lots of vegan chocolate, potato chips and corn chips. And chocolate soy milk is great too. Not too healthy though. There is no reason to be a skinny vegetarian/vegan. Lots of stuff out there!

Closed Thread