It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Question about Peanut Butter

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
    treyV31
    (male)

treyV31 HB User
    Question about Peanut Butter

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Peanut Butter. The one I have been eating is Peter Pan's Reduce Fat Crunchy Peanut Butter.

On the nutrition label, it says nothing about unsaturated fats like the regular peanut butter labels do.

My question is does this reduced fat peanut butter have no mono or polyunsaturated fats because it is the reduced fat brand? I've been trying to research it online and cant find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
    joniann
    (female)

joniann HB User
    Re: Question about Peanut Butter

doubtful. if there are peanuts in it, then you will have the monounsaturated fats. typcally the lower fat peanut butters have air whipped into them..

Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
    angel85
    (female)

angel85 HB User

I would recommend throwing that stuff out. Try organic peanut butter. It tastes much better (you can really taste the peanuts in it!), has no trans fats, and has a better texture IMO. Also, the unsaturated fats in nut butters are good for you, in moderation.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
    zevi8
    (male)

zevi8 HB User

I would not recommend eating peanut butter at all whether it be natural peanut butter or the hydrogenated variety. peanut butter has high levels of something called alfatoxin. Google it and you will see its bad. get your own peanuts and grind it up to make your own. make sure the peanuts are fresh.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
    MX_Ivanko
    (male)

MX_Ivanko HB User

zevi8's statement is wrong about the afla toxins. A recent study by the Consumer's Union showed that the least amount of aflatoxins was found in the big supermarket brands. The highest level of aflatoxins were found in fresh ground peanuts in health food stores. Although aflatoxins are a carcinogen the U.S. regulates how much is allowed in foods such as peanuts and peanut butter. Very few aflatoxins are ingested when eating peanut butter and I personally am going to continue enjoying my peanut butter in moderation.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
    Musical_Muse
    Veteran
    (female)

Musical_Muse HB User

I love peanut butter, too...peanut butter and chocolate is a deadly combination (as you probably know ). I might also eat some natural peanut butter again as it does seem to have more of the peanuty taste to it. I've never heard of alfatoxin, but I love to look stuff up, so I may do just that. I tend to be skeptical of things that I read, though...has to be from a credible source. What was your source for this, Zevi?

~Colleen

Old 02-10-2006, 05:08 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

trey,

If you are buyning the PB in the United States it MUST list total fats and saturated fats...what's left can be assumed to be the total weight of mono and poly unsaturates.

Also read the ingredients; a VERY GOOD peanut oil will list NO soy, palm, canola or any other oils and only have the oils from the peanuts.
    Often though to get something that good you have to grind peanuts! That's waht I do when I want peanut butter...which isn't often because it's too fattening and impossible to stop eating (when it's fresh ground ).

Typical for 100 grams of oil roasted peanuts is:
    Saturated: 6.8 grams
    Mono-unsaturated: 24.5 grams (almost all oleic acid)
    Poly-unsaturated: 15.6 grams (all linoleic acid)

No omega-3 oils.

BEWARE any addition of hydrogenated soy or other hardened (trans) fats.

Trey,
    How does the PP low fat taste?

Last edited by Lenin; 02-10-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #8
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zevi8
    I would not recommend eating peanut butter at all whether it be natural peanut butter or the hydrogenated variety. peanut butter has high levels of something called alfatoxin. Google it and you will see its bad. get your own peanuts and grind it up to make your own. make sure the peanuts are fresh.
    Although the potential for Aflatoxins exist in peanut butter as in all grain silo's can become moldy, you never hear of any outbreak of this in North America. Iv'e eaten peanut butter (now natural) all my life and never have had an Aflaroxin attack.I used to be a ''Bread Route Driver'' yrs ago and would always be pulling chocolate covered moldy cupcakes off the shelves and wondered how many people eaten these cause they couldn't see the mold.....

Old 02-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
    zevi8
    (male)

zevi8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Musical_Muse
    I love peanut butter, too...peanut butter and chocolate is a deadly combination (as you probably know ). I might also eat some natural peanut butter again as it does seem to have more of the peanuty taste to it. I've never heard of alfatoxin, but I love to look stuff up, so I may do just that. I tend to be skeptical of things that I read, though...has to be from a credible source. What was your source for this, Zevi?

~Colleen
    My source is from a book called "the China Study". Peanuts are not bad but some companies who make peanut butter might not use the freshest of nuts and alfatoxins could be present. Its very easy to make your own peanut butter. I love peanut butter.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
    Jonistyle2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

lenin,

just thought i'd throw in a quick answer: low-fat peanut butter tastes like poo! it's got a weird texture and a lame, blah flavor, and it's the same calories as regular peanut butter! totally not worth it! my roomate used to get it (that's how i tasted it) and all the "dieting" women in my office have it, and i just look at them all and sigh. it's really a miserable substitute!

Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
    jade112
    (female)

jade112 HB User

If you live in the US, there is a store here called Trader Joe's. They carry a wonderful product called 'Better n Butter' and it only has 2.5 grams of fat per 2 Tbsp, yet it still has lots of protien! IT IS GREAT!!
    My sister is a PeanutButter-aholic, and even she loves it!
    I totally suggest giving it a try

Jade

Old 02-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
    treyV31
    (male)

treyV31 HB User

Hey jade -

Woohoo, I have a Trader Joe's next to where I live - I will definitely try this product out...Is it made out of real peanuts? Is it chunky or creamy?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #13
    tigergolf06
    (male)

tigergolf06 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by treyV31
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Peanut Butter. The one I have been eating is Peter Pan's Reduce Fat Crunchy Peanut Butter.
    Omg, I love crunchy peanut butter too, wow...it is so so good.

Isn't peanut butter high in protein though?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
    jade112
    (female)

jade112 HB User

Trey-

It is very creamy. You sould store it in the fridge b/c the consistancy gets too melty otherwise.

Ingredients:
    Peanuts (as de-fatted peanut flour and natural peanut butter)

I don't know what that means but......... I really like this product and with 100 cals. and 2.5 grams of fat, it can't hurt to give it a try

Good Luck & Happy Valentine's Day
    Jade

Old 02-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #15
    gort
    Inactive
    (female)

gort HB User

There really is nothing wrong with the fat in peanut butter. The aflatoxin mould is killed in the dry roasting process. (Not all p. butter is dry roasted-check labels)

Eat real peanut butter, with no filler. Low fat diets cause disease. Low fat consumption is linked to sudden stroke and heart attacks as well as mental problems and hard as it might be to believe but low fat diets cause weight GAIN.

Revolutionary people like Dr. Mercola and Dr Douglas speak the truth about fats and dispell dangerous myths.

Closed Thread