It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• bottled water

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
    stay2gether
    (female)

stay2gether HB User
    bottled water

i always buy bottled water rather than drink tap water because I think it is better for me. But my dad says that he read in a respectable newspaper that its just more or less the same as tap water and that im wasting my money. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
    Jonistyle2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jonistyle2 HB User
    Re: bottled water

i agree with your dad. it's just water! if you don't like the way the water from your tap tastes, that's one thing, but if you think bottled water is actually healthier for you, then you've been mislead, my friend. water is water and it's as healthy from the tap as from a bottle. the only thing bottled water is good for is the bottle . . . reuse it and fill it with tap water so you can always have water with you!

Here's a funny one: what is "Evian" spelled backwards?

Makes you wonder how they tricked us all into thinking the tap water we'd been drinking for years was "bad" for us, doesn't it? Save your money!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
    330exGirlOrl
    (female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

I dont know about where you live, but here in Volusia Florida our tap water tastes aweful! Half the time you can still taste a bit of cholorine or some type of filtering chemical. I cant bare to drink it. Also, I know for sure in tap water, not sure about bottled water, but they add flouride to aid in teeth health. The problem with this is if you drink only tap water, and a lot of it, the flouride can actually hurt other parts of your body. Anyway, even some bottled waters taste better then others. I love Disani and Aquafina, but cant stand the taste of Zephyrhills or Nestle (they actually make me queezy!). If you dont like the taste of your tap water, but dont want to buy bottled water, I definately recommend getting a Britta filter. I use one and it works REALLY well.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stay2gether
    i always buy bottled water rather than drink tap water because I think it is better for me. But my dad says that he read in a respectable newspaper that its just more or less the same as tap water and that im wasting my money. What do you think?
    Tap water has toxins (chlorine/flouride) that cause inflammation within our body. Best Bottled waters are those that are clean though osmosis and also Fiji water is great..Lisa

Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
    Sonflower1116
    (female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

My daughter lives in Florida and I agree, the water tastes terrible. She bought a Brita water filter pitcher and it has helped improve the taste a lot, besides filtering out some impurities. Cheaper than buying bottled water.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 AM   #6
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

I have read where MOST of the bottled water comes from the tap. The taste (which depends on chemicals and minerals in the water) is different in different areas, so if the local water is good tasting, the bottlers can simply use the local water supply -- and charge you a bunch for it.

In one apartment where we lived, the water tasted so bad that I bought a Brita water filter -- it made the water taste good again. And it makes tea taste so much better! I agree with Sonflower1116 -- a Brita filter (or similar brand) is so much cheaper than bottled water.

--Rheanna

Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
    stay2gether
    (female)

stay2gether HB User

thanx im going to get a brita filter! How long do they last for?

Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

"stay2gether: thanx im going to get a brita filter! How long do they last for?"

The instructions say to change the filter every month. I find that the water begins to be noticably uh, less than "daisy fresh" after about 6 weeks -- maybe sooner if your water is particularly hard. That reminds me -- it's time to change mine!

--Rheanna

Old 03-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #9
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

I drink bottled water because it helps me to monitor my water intake everyday. As soon as I get up in the morning, I drink a bottle of Ozarka. I also keep a couple of bottles inside my car so I can remember to drink it while I am driving. I drive about 60 miles a day during the week. I feel like having the 16-oz. bottles encourages me to "drink 'em down" and maintain a healthy daily fluid intake.

Actually, I prefer Aquafina brand, but it is not sold where I buy our water. The Ozarka is sold in a few different sizes and bottle quantities.

I understand that flouride is not in bottled water, so when we drink bottled water instead to tap water, we are not getting that necessary nutrient.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Isn't fluoride in some bottled water, maybe at low levels? I don't think I would call fluoride a necessary nutrient though. I'd rather drink water without fluoride in it.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

Regarding tap water filtered with a Brita water filter system, I wonder if the Brita removes flouride as well as impurities.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Has anyone tried the Brita pitchers? I was thinking about getting one. How do you use the regular filter?

Old 03-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

Definitely get a Brita..those things are awesome. I've owned one for years and whenever I have company over they always rave at how good our water tastes.

americandancer...it's simple. You just take off the top and add a jug or two of normal tap water and let it sit. It will go through the filter and purify it naturally! Keeping it in the fridge is best.

I say it's a must have for people who drink a lot of water.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #14
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

My tap water (northern New Jersey resevoir) is delicious and far tastier that anything that comes out of a plastic bottle. With plastic there is always the danger of leaching styrenes, a carcinogenogen used in plastics manufacture. Tap water here is chlorinated noticeably only when needed like after a heavy rain, and isn't fluoridated at all (damn!)

I sympathize with people in areas where the water is either contaminated or tastes foul. If I lived in such an area I's probably buy a still and distill my water...or I'd move.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-03-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 AM   #15
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin

I sympathize with people in areas where the water is either contaminated or tastes foul. If I lived in such an area I's probably buy a still and distill my water...or I'd move.

Installing a water filter would be much better. Distillation would remove beneficial minerals from the water, such as magnesium. Hard water is best. Soft water may be good for washing clothes, but not for drinking.

Closed Thread