It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Bagels and cream cheese?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User
    Bagels and cream cheese?

Are bagels totally bad for you or are they ok? I love them and don't eat them that often, but sometimes that's just all I want! I usually get the exact same thing - an everything bagel with light cream chees, tomato, red onion, and capers. I'm guessing they put around 3-4tbs of cream cheese on it? Does that sound about right?

I have this bad stigma in my head about carbs, but really I need to realize that they are OK - in fact, necessary! That is the main reason I feel bad after I eat a bagel. Is there a "best" kind of bagel that I could choose? Whole wheat? Plain? Sesame?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
    Lyds19089
    (female)

Lyds19089 HB User
    Re: Bagels and cream cheese?

Always go for whole grain or whole wheat. Weight watchers makes their version for only 150 calories and 32g carbs each! Amazing! There are some other brands out there, Western Bagel, that makes them with net carbs of like 7 but if you're going to have a bagel, expect some carbs so go for something less processed/manufactured. Also, fat free cream cheese is very good too, I can't tell it from the "light" and it saves 30 calories and 4.5g fat.
    A good sized bagel is about 3 " in diameter.

I think 3-4 tbs is a lot on a bagel. Usually around 2 is enough, unless you want it to be like a thick layer like a meat patty or something.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

One thing you will want to look at is the serving size and calories involved. If you are getting your bagel at a bagel shop/bakery, it's probably going to be 300-400 calories. If you buy frozen bagels from the grocery store, you can get them for about 150 calories. Not that one is better than the other. Just know what you are eating. It's the general problem of portions being supersized when you go out to eat.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
    Jonistyle2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

ls, stop second guessing yourself! you're making this MUCH harder than it needs to be. disregard those previous posts about fat-free cream cheese and bakery shop bagels and whole wheat and all that jazz. you need to convince yourself that there are NO good and NO bad foods. all foods are acceptable and if you LOVE them and they're healthy, there is NO reason that you shouldn't eat them. eat them daily if you want. we're not talking about french fries here, hon! just think: "do i consider this healthy?" if the answer is yes, then resist the urge to second guess it okay?

Old 03-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

LS you have to quit doign this..you said that after eating it "you didnt feel bad one bit" but very clearly you did. Please go get help and stop driving yourself insane with all this..

Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

I don't feel bad about it, I was just curious. Even knowing that whole wheat bagels might be "better" I think I'd still choose Everything bagels b/c I like them more!

And I can't tell light cream cheese from real cream cheese, but I can DEFINITELY tell light cream cheese from FF cream cheese - ick! I would rather just have nothing on it than FF cream cheese, to be honest.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I like the EVERYTHING bagel best...garlic onion poppy sesame...all crusty!

Don;t care for the cinnamon or blueberry...too muffin-like.

For all around neutral use, poppyseed goes with everything.

For me, a divine breakfast is 1/2 bagel/cream cheese/slice [email protected] onion/2 ounces LOX! 380 calories!

Last edited by Lenin; 03-12-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Closed Thread