It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• kefir

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
    stay2gether
    (female)

stay2gether HB User
    kefir

im seeing this alot on this forum. what exactly is it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
    StephanieAnne
    Veteran
    (female)

StephanieAnne HB User
    Re: kefir

Kefir is a cultured, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your "inner ecosystem." More nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins.
    I have MS and constipation is a ms problem, I drink a glass of Kefir every morning and it helps me very much

The kefir that I buy comes in Blueberry, Peach, Strewberry, Raspberry and plain.

It is delicious and good for you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It is also VERY simple to make at home and the only costr is the cost of milk. A gallon of milk at $2.49 makes a gallon of kefir in as little as 24 hours.

It's much easier to make than ever yoghurt because it doesn't need and sterilization and it ferment very happily at room temperature.

Where kefir has 2 or 3 different bacteria, kefir has 20 or 30 (or more) and many of the kefir probiotics are able to establish themselves in our intestines, unlike yoghurt cultures.

It's a really great food...and delicious too.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Lenin,

So is this a case of starting with some store-bought kefir and using a bit of it as a "starter" in a gallon of milk -- nd then using a bit of THAT batch to start the next one? I've done that with yoghurt bazillions of years ago, and I found that the culture needed to be replenished (new joghurt purchased at the store) after a few batches, as the organisms seemed to weaken.

--Rheanna

Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

question:
    as someone with lactose intolerance who can tolerate yogurt (because it breaks down the lactose for you), would I likely be able to tolerate kefir?
    Thanks...

Old 04-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

rheanna,

Kefir is inititated with things called "grains" that resemble small rubbery pieces of cauliflower. These "grains" are then strained from the refinished kefir and resused. So no, you can't just start with store bought kefir, you must get a couple grains from someone (they gradually increase in size and number so everyone eventually has some to share.)

amo,

The probiotic agents in kefir are capable of removing nearly all the lactose in milk and converting it to lactic acid, carbon dioxide and a small amount of alcohol, so almost nobody is intolerant of it.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-24-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lenin,

It sounds interesting. I don't know of anyone who is doing this, from whom I can "borrow" a bit of culture, but I'll check out the possibilities at the local health-food stores in town. Thanks for your description.

--Rheanna

Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

rheanna,

Check the internet...there are several sites devoted to the care and feeding (and sharing) of kefir grains. Most people happily part with them for free.
    I've given out at least 100 starters to people in my area (metro New York City.)

Some people mail them...I don't because I HATE mailing parcels especially something LIVING!

First buy a quart at a health food store to see if you like it before you start seeking out grains! It's about $4 a quart <now you see why people MAKE it! >

Good luck.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-24-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lenin,

I will certainly try it before I invest in the time and effort to make it -- you're right, I might not even like it!

And I will HAVE to go to the healthfood stores first, because I first have to find out what they call kefir grains here in Germany -- "Kefir" is the same (but always spelled with a capital K because it's a noun), but I have no idea what they call the grains -- I've been here for 10 years and am still learning vocabulary.

Thanks for your tips.

--Rheanna

Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rheanna,

Try "Kefirkörner." (If the correct character didn't show, that's an o with an umlaut!)

Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lein,

I bought some Kefir yesterday, one "bio" version from the health-food store, and one from the supermarket. I expect to try them today or tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it tastes and whether I want to pursue making my own.

I had a nice discussion with the lady who runs the health-food store (who by now expects me to ask odd questions like how to find teff and pomegranat juice). She says she can order a culture (similar to joghurt culture), but if I want the grains I should put up a notice on their board asking for some from anyone who has too much and wants to share. She says there are two kinds of grains, one that grows in milk and one that grows in water -- she seemed to imply that one could create a water-based kefir, geting the good organisms without the milk -- perhaps this is for vegans or for those who cannot tolerate ANY milk products. She says I can put in my notice that I'm looking for Kefirpilz (Pilz means fungus). I'll put both Pilz and Körner in my request just for good measure!).

Food adventures are fun!

--Reanna

Old 04-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
    bluejbirdie
    Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

I actually have found the store bought kefir to taste a bit better then homemade. I personnaly dont like the taste of homemade by itself. I always end up adding somthing to make it taste better. Add some Sweetner(Splenda, sugar, Stevia) whichever you prefer, add some Vanilla and/or even a bit of Jam. It really makes a Difference if you find you dont like the Plain stuff. Also how long you let it sit makes a difference in the texture and the taste.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Closed Thread