It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Quaker Rice cakes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
    emmittbrown

emmittbrown HB User
    Quaker Rice cakes?

These are Awesome!! I buy the Butter popped corn flavored ones, they are only 35 Cals per cake and no fat or fat calories and they are made with whole grain brown rice. sometimes I eat the whole bag (14) and sometimes 11 or 12 of them when I get home, is this ok? you can't gain from these right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: Quaker Rice cakes?

Sure you can gain weight from these.... A calorie is a calorie. So 14 times 35 = 490 calories.... That's more than a candy bar (just without the fat). You might be better off if you are really hungry to eat a rice cake or two with a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit to get a more balanced snack.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
    sundaysun
    (female)

sundaysun HB User

i don't think you can gain weight from rice cakes even if they make 490 cals. it depends where you get your calories from, not only how many of them. a kilo of apples would have close to 490 as well but it won't make you gain weight. but if you have a portion of around 490 cals of chips that will add some weight on you.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
    emmittbrown

emmittbrown HB User

oh, I see, also I think if its all the time it makes you gain, but once in a great while I dought if could hurt. Thank you guys.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
    Jonistyle4
    (female)

Jonistyle4 HB User

sundaysun is completely wrong on this, just so you know, emmitt. 490 extra calories of apples will make you gain weight just the same as 490 calories of bacon wrapped fried cheese dipped in mayo. a calorie is a calorie. the difference is that all those apples would fill you up and you would eat less later, whereas with the bacon "concoction," you wouldn't get very full and thus would eat more later on.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
    emmittbrown

emmittbrown HB User

I thought Apples were negative Calories?

Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
    Jonistyle4
    (female)

Jonistyle4 HB User

that's one of those "diet myths." calories are calories and if you eat too many, you gain weight. so yes, you could tangibly gain weight on a diet of apples and lettuce. you'd have to eat more apples and lettuce than anyone probably ever could, but it IS possible. so forget about all the "negative calories" and "zero fat" and all that crap. it's really just about calories in vs. calories out. hope this helps!

Old 05-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
    sundaysun
    (female)

sundaysun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonistyle4
    sundaysun is completely wrong on this, just so you know, emmitt.
    don't think i'm completely wrong cause i say that from my experience. normally i have fatty and high calorie meals, but they're sort of healthy, like vegetables, pasta, rice etc but i like oil so everything is floating in it which makes them fatty. my weight however remains the same. and i remember at some point about a year ago i was eating chips fried in oil every day and gained a lot of weight in a couple of weeks. both options had approx same amount of calories.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Nothing is negative calories. The best we can do is zero, and that's a tall glass of cold water!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
    bluejbirdie
    Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sundaysun
    don't think i'm completely wrong cause i say that from my experience. normally i have fatty and high calorie meals, but they're sort of healthy, like vegetables, pasta, rice etc but i like oil so everything is floating in it which makes them fatty. my weight however remains the same. and i remember at some point about a year ago i was eating chips fried in oil every day and gained a lot of weight in a couple of weeks. both options had approx same amount of calories.

Sorry but you are completely wrong. Too MAny of any Calories will make you gain weight.

a Calorie is just a measurement of Energy. Calories are the Exact same no matter where they come from!

Technically all Calories are equal. Its like saying a lb of feathers is lighter then a lb of Bricks.

But there is a slight exception to this...Depending where you get the Calories from can make a difference how many Calories you actually burn each day. An example of this is thermic Effect. (the Amount of Calories Burned digesting food) Soem Foods have higher thermic effects then others, with Protein generally having the highest.

so will Eating 2000 calories in apples in a day have the same result as sat 2000 calories of krispy kreme donuts? Very close..but there will be a bit of a difference. Eating the Apples willl probably result in you burning a few more calories. But it wont make a huge difference.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 05-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I guess it all depends on how much other stuff you eat. If your meals are really low in calories, then it definitely won't hurt you. I'd try eating them with something else like fruit, since fruit can fill you up more with all the juice in it. I definitely will sometimes eat more than 1 of these, like 2 or 3. I like the white cheddar ones, yum!

Closed Thread