It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• How healthy is popcorn?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User
    Talking How healthy is popcorn?

I just got a job at a movie theater. When i'm working i eat popcorn non stop. I don't put any butter on it so its just the kernels and vegi oil and salt that we pop it in. Is this bad for you?

For anyone who might want to know...
    One and a half squirts of butter on popcorn = 250 CALORIES!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Re: How healthy is popcorn?

Even without added "butter", popcorn from the movie theater is generally full of transfats which are added so that the popcorn does not taste stale.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

sam,

Like Judy says, it's really what the theater pops the corn in that derermines the healthiness of the popcorn. They used to use hydrogenated coconut/palm oil for taste and non-rancidity...but the government stepped in an put an end to that horrible practice.

If it's popped in corn, soy or canola oil that is NOT hydrogenated, it's a good snack...beware the sodium OD though.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-10-2006 at 07:36 AM.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

how about vegi oil?

Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
    Ilovetocruise
    (female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

you need to find out if the vegetable oil is partially hydrogenated or not. Partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oil is terrible for your arteries and causes heart disease. I would take it easy on the theatre popcorn. if you must eat it, bring in your own air popped popcorn. Even most of the microwave popcorn has transfats in it.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
    Yulka128
    Inactive
    (female)

Yulka128 HB User

Oh, guys! Ask yourself... do you REALLY need that stupid popcorn at the theatre?
    I alsways wonder... do those people REALLY need to eat at the cinema? Are they hungry, can`t they just eat at home BEFORE the theatre instead? Gosh! I hate it... I NEVER eat at the theatre... I go there to watch movies for Christ sake! Not to eat! If I want to eat I go to a cafe or something....

Old 05-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

Its different when you work there because the popcorn is always around and smelling so good

Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yulka128
    Oh, guys! Ask yourself... do you REALLY need that stupid popcorn at the theatre?
    Yes! A big bucket of popcorn, at the movie theater, covered in melted butter, is better than sex!

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids
    Yes! A big bucket of popcorn, at the movie theater, covered in melted butter, is better than sex!

I'll 2nd that!!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

ew gross you guys! its not that delicious and the butter is so fattening. 250 cals in 1.5 pumps!! Usually there's about 6 or more.

Question - are Kcals and Cals the same thing?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

I have always found that after eating popcorn, I almost always get a stomach ache afterwards. I think that the hard kernals are very hard to digest for a lot of people. For me, popcorn, is not healthy.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Plus, factor in the cost of the popcorn, if you have to pay for it. Paying a ridiculous price for something that has very little nutritional value, at all. There should be a law set where movie theaters can only charge up to a certain price for popcorn, sodas, snacks, movie prices, etc, cause it's ridiculous.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #13
    ljwhorfin
    (male)

ljwhorfin HB User

I have a commercial popper at home. I use 100% Virgin Coconut Oil. It's makes the popcorn taste great and it best for the kettle.

It has ZERO trans-fat and is not hydrogenated. So i'd say in my case (i rarely put butter on it) popcorn is a healthy snack.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
    Yulka128
    Inactive
    (female)

Yulka128 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids
    Is it really??? But sex is helthier for you! At least it helps to lose some calories!

Old 05-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yulka128
    Is it really??? But sex is helthier for you! At least it helps to lose some calories!
    To tell the truth, I don't really know. I have always had a huge bowl of popcorn, smothered with butter, after low calorie, low cholesterol, low salt, heart-friendly sex. I hope that the two enjoyable habits balance themselves out, healthwise.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

Closed Thread