It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Yogurt and Milk together?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
    bobby19
    (male)

bobby19 HB User
    Yogurt and Milk together?

Alright this may sound like a stupid question...
    Is it ok to have a glass of milk and then have a yogurt?? Sometimes I have these two as a small snack but my mother persists that combining the two is not healthy. However, I see no reason in why having the two together is bad...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User
    Re: Yogurt and Milk together?

In general no ... nothing wrong in having both ..You'll probably add extra calcium and potassium and protein along with some probiotics so unless your mom hates dairy in general then enjoy as i myself love these foods......

Old 05-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

bobby19,

Does your mother say just WHAT she thinks is unhealthy about having milk and yoghurt in the same meal? I cannot for the life of me think of what could be unhealthy about combining them.

--Rheanna

Old 05-28-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

In general milk products are not as healthful as we would like to think. The main reason milk entered our diets is due to a powerful campaign by the dairy industry around the turn of the century. Before that few at least in the U.S. drank much milk as a stand alone beverage.

The reason dairy products aren't that great for us is they do not digest that well, and tend to convert into mucus. So they make us congested. Try cutting out dairy products for a week and see how much mucus you have as opposed to when you drink a lot of milk.

So, maybe all your mom is saying is that too much dairy is bad. A full glass of milk is a lot of dairy, and adding yoghurt to that makes it "worse."

Last edited by Podee; 05-28-2006 at 11:42 PM.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I wouldn't do it.
    The bacteria in the yoghurt will start to eat the lactose in the milk and produce gas that can be extremely unconfortable and cramping. I can't even drink my kefir after eating pancakes because of the milk in the batter.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-29-2006 at 06:21 AM.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

If you don't have any problems digesting milk, then enjoy it with your yogurt. I know I do.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
    ratboy83
    Inactive
    (male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I wouldn't do it.
    The bacteria in the yoghurt will start to eat the lactose in the milk and produce gas that can be extremely unconfortable and cramping. I can't even drink my kefir after eating pancakes because of the milk in the batter.
    would the same apply to the sugar in honey lenin? i've been having some probelms with hot choc i've been drinking made with milk, cocoa and honey.

alex.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Not so much.
    Although these bacteria CAN ferment the fructose in honey, the effect is very slight. They are mostly lactobacilli and like to eat the sugar, lactose, in milk. Probably honey won't cause any more difficulties with yoghurt than fruit will.

I make sure I have my kefir at least 4 hours before or after any milk. CHeese is OK becasue it's already undergone all the fermentation it's going to.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Lenin... i know someone else has asked this before but please explain the difference between Kefir and Yogurt...thanks...

Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6'3"

Kefir is thick liquid that tastes similar to yoghurt (and buttermilk) but is far easier to make than yoghurt because it ferments at room temperature and needs no pre pasteurization. Yoghurt has 2 or three bacteria, typically two lactobacilli (bulgaricus and for no reason, acidophilus) and streptococcus thermophilus.

Kefir has many, many probiotics living in harmony in a spongy mass called a "grain." It's composed of some 20 different lactobacilli, many streptocci, lactococci, 10 or more yeasts, and a couple of acetobacteria (for vinegar making.)

Several of the probiotics of kefir can survive the digestive system and colonize the colon...yoghurt cannot.

Basically you pour milk into the grains and wait a day or so at room temperature...then strain off the grains and reuse and drink the kefir...it keeps for weeks and weeks, unlike milk. The grains are immortal unless killed carelessly, and they increase in number over time.

Try a quart at your health food store.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-30-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Thanks for the great info on Kefir Lenin ...I'll pick some up at Wild Oats grocery.....

Old 05-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Sorry to sound...dumb for lack of a better word, but that being said Lenin, what is the advantage of kefir and all its bacteria/non pasteurization, etc?

Old 05-31-2006, 05:09 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Girlygirl, that's a tough question that could absorb hours of typing. Probably best for you to peek at the web, there's no shortage of information on kefir.

Suffice to say here is that kefir's advantage over youghurt is that yoghurt gives only a smidgen of probiotics compared to kefir. The advantage of a steady supply of probiotics is that they prevent the growth of many pathogenic agents in the body, especially the digestive tract.
    The point of the no pasteurization is that it makes kefir MUCH easier to make at home.

I really think it's the singularly most health providing food that I eat.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #14
    sundaysun
    (female)

sundaysun HB User

back home we have kefir which is called kefir in shops just like milk or anything else. it's very cheap so that would be no need to make it at home. but now i wonder if that's the same thing. it's thick (however drinkable, you don't have to spoon it), sour flavour, i've heard it even has little amount of alcohol due to fermentation and is said to be a probiotic. do you think that's the same thing? i'd like to try to drink it as i've read in these boards it has so many benefits but not sure if it can be exacty the same as it's cheap and sold in every supermarket.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sundaysun,

That's exactly the same product. I wish I didn't have to make it but in the U.S. the choices are to make it for between $2.50- $3.00 a gallon (the cost of the milk) or buy it made for $4 a quart...or $16 a gallon. That's why so many of us make it.

Yep, the alcohol ranges around a percent or two depending on how it's fermented.

Closed Thread