It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Slenda making me sick?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
    macy555
    (female)

macy555 HB User
    Splenda making me sick?

Lately ever since I changed my diet, I have been having non stop stomach problems and I CANNOT for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I do occasionaly have diet drinks, sometimes with aspartame sometimes with splenda. But I do not have a mass amount of them. I used to have splenda once in a while and nothing happened to me, same with aspartame..so why now would these things be giving me a reaction? If they are at all. Well, I have had a various list of problems with my stomach such as:
    Severe gas that lasts for hours
    Constipation/diarrhea
    Cramps(sometimes on my legs too).
    Sometimes nausea

It doesn't happen every single day but some days it does. But not a day goes by that I don't have a product with one of these substances in it. Does this sound like a medical disorder, or an allergic reaction to splenda? Is it possible to be allergic to all diet products in general?

Last edited by macy555; 06-11-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User
    Re: Slenda making me sick?

I wouldn't doubt that it's the splenda seeing as how it's not good for you, in my opinion. Maybe you could try a week without any aspartame or slenda foods at all and see how you feel. I know that whenever I consume any of those sweeteners, I get headaches or upset stomach. My friend gets the same reaction when eating sugar-less gum (aspartame). Give it a test and see if it makes a difference.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
    shadowcharmed
    (female)

shadowcharmed HB User

Just an idea but are you getting enough water? Cramps anywhere, but especially in the legs can be a sign of dehydration, as can nausea. Are you getting at least 2 litres a day?
    Cramp can also be a sign of a lack of magnesium. I was suffering from bad leg cramps at night and my nutritional therapist gave me magnesium supplements (2 each night) and the cramps have pretty much gone.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
    bluejbirdie
    Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

I doubt it is the Splenda or Aspartame...but just about anyhting is possible. With the Change in your diet have you drastically changed it? have you added a lot of fibre? Going for Very little to lots of Fibre can have unpleasant results.
    But Like Bev said...Stop having any for a week and see how things are.....If it clears up then start having them again and see if it comes back......this could indicate that it is the culprit.

Before changing your diet did you consume them before and not have problems?

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 06-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
    storm12
    (female)

storm12 HB User

Splenda makes me feel horrible - bloated, ill, acid reflux, etc. So does aspartame and even carbonation. So I just avoid it now if it all possible.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Yes, Splenda can definitely give you gastric distress. It does for many people.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

One doesn't all of a sudden become allergic to Splenda AND aspartame. There is just too much chemical dissimilarity between the two.

But if they bother you and you do fine on days without them, then by all mean go without them. You can try cyclamate which is readily available in Canada and the UK.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
    Finine
    (female)

Finine HB User

I developed allergic reactions to Splenda last year after using it without problems for about 10 months. It gives me AWFUL gas, unlike any I've ever experienced from food. Unfortunately it took me about four months and a lot of process-of-elimination before I realized it was Splenda causing it.

Splenda starts as a sugar molecule and then three molecules of chlorine are added to it. This basically makes it "unabsorbable" by the body. Splenda in and of itself is not a calorie-free food. The fact that the body can't absorb it makes it calorie-free.

I believe my body eventually started reacting to the chlorine and said, 'ENOUGH!!!' I was not even ingesting much of it, about 1 tsp every morning on my cereal and that was it, but it was enough to finally get a reaction out of me.

On another note, I've never experienced any side effects from aspartame or saccharin but I know many people do have allergic reactions to aspartame (headaches, nausea, splotchy skin, etc).

Old 06-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
    lulu123
    (female)

lulu123 HB User

I've read that the body just doesn't know what to do with these sugar substitutes. Hence possible reactions.

Another study indicated that people who used sugar lost just as much or a bit more weight than those that used substitutes.

I use it because I like the taste. Real sugar tastes flat. But I really believe that is absolutely NOT good for me.

Go figure.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #10
    Texanne
    (female)

Texanne HB User

Hey folks! FYI: If you are having the terrible symptoms most of you have described, please be aware that MANY sugar free products on the market that are labeled SPLENDA (because it is the newest trend) are largely sweetened with sugar alcohols (IE sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol, isomalt, etc...) these will cause extreme discomfort, gas, diarrhea, and are labeled with a warning right on the package. In my case, I eat SF products because my family has a history of obesity and diabetes and I have very little self-control with sweets, so when I eat the very delicious chocolate (Russell Stover, York Peppermint patties) s/f products, I overeat, then I spend the rest of the day in the bathroom, regretting it. Sugar free gum has sorbitol or xylitol. It's good, but self-regulating-no pun intended! Splenda (sucralose) and Nutrasweet (aspartame) are not known for causing gastric distress, but often when we try to eat more healthful foods, and cut calories, we also eat a much higher portion of fiber (beans, legumes, fresh veggies and fruit). My little skinny dad can't eat fresh green salads without suffering with gas and bloating, etc... So make sure you are aware of ALL of your changes! You might eliminate something unnecessarily! :}

Closed Thread