It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• How can I safely do a liquid diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
    rubato
    Veteran
    (female)

rubato HB User
    How can I safely do a liquid diet?

I have really bad tmj which means that my jaw joints are bad. I've already had every surgery I can and must resort to a liquid diet when things are hurting. I've been really into exercise and weight loss lately. Today I must start at least a week of liquid dieting and am wondering if I can do this without muscle loss or starvation mode. I was planning on drinking 3 or 4 Slim fasts a day with protein powder added to them. Maybe some fruit blended in as well. Today I can't even think about something as thick as oatmeal, but maybe in a few days I can add that and yogurt and such. Will I screw up my metabolism this way? Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
    applecheek
    (female)

applecheek HB User
    Re: How can I safely do a liquid diet?

I would skip the slimfast and go for drinks that are more full of nutrients. You need to get the right fuel that your body needs to function...and slimfasts are just full of unhealthy sugars. Try ENSURE or EQUAL. Make sure you are drinking enough! Also try blending up some fruit or vegetable smoothies...yum. When I got my wisdom teeth taken out I slowly started to add soup, frozen yogurt, and puddings. Hope I helped!

Old 08-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

rubato,

Go to your natural foods provider and buy and try a quart of kefir. It has the nourishment, taste and protein of yoghurt while still remaining a thick sippable liquid.

Milk, protein powder, your choice of sweetner and cocoa powder with perhaps an egg all blended together with some ice cubes makes a delicious, nutritious shake...and tastes far better and has more protein than Slimfast. Buy some xanthan or guar gum (health food store) to thicken it to your taste.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Do you have a food processor or blender to puree soups?

Old 08-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
    amethystle
    (female)

amethystle HB User

Smoothies are an excellent idea. You might also want to consider buying some type of green powder (vegetable or wheat grass) so you can ensure you are getting all of your vitamins, minerals, and anitoxidants - all almost as important for healing as protein.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
    rubato
    Veteran
    (female)

rubato HB User

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I do have a food processor. I don't eat soups because of the sodium. And, it's rare for me to have the time to make homemade. I will try a bunch of different smoothie combos with added nutrients. I have Ensure also for when I get lazy. I've been hearing a lot about kefir so will see about getting myself some. Thanks guys!

Closed Thread