It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Is 8 glasses of water a day too much?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User
    Is 8 glasses of water a day too much?

This got me thinking...
    The following is an excerpt from someone else's post on another thread...

Quote:
    Your diet sounds really healthy. One thing that set alarm bells off, though -- 9 glasses water. It is damaging to the intestines to drink the eight glasses of water that doctors/media say to drink. This depletes potassium and causes strain on the heart. Also bad for leaky gut because all that water dilutes your stomach acid, making digestion impossible, floating nutrients into the toilet. Only drink when thirsty, like dogs and cats. No animal ever drinks when they are not thirsty, neither should we. I don't drink during a meal, only a few sips if I need it. I wait half hour after a meal for tea. Much easier on the gut. (Dr William Campbell Douglass advises against 8 glasses of water.)
    It's REALLY disconcerting to not even know what the right amount of water to drink a day is...
    I've been making a very concerted effort to try and be healthier and have been drinking probably anywhere from 10 - 16 glasses of water a day...
    Then I come across something like this which sends me into a tailspin...
    (btw I have some pretty bad anxiety disorders too, so I'm sure that has a LOT to do with my alarmed reaction... lol)

But so what's the truth?
    What are we supposed to believe?
    There seems to be some pretty diametrically opposed points of view here...
    Should we only sip on water when thirsty?
    Or should we drink the 8+ glasses of water a day that you read so much about?...

VERY interested to hear what people have to say...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
    allbetter
    Inactive
    (male)

allbetter HB User
    Re: Is 8 glasses of water a day too much?

where is the evidence for stating that over 8 glasses of water damages the intestines?
    damaging the heart? makes no sense at all. the body has a clever nack of being able to maintain a situation of balance in the body known as homeostasis. in regards to water balance, this role falls to the renal system. the kidneys ensure that excess water is extreted from the body by making the urine more dilute (the opposite applies to when the body is in a state of dehydration). if the renal system isn't functioning properly then this can result in a rise in blood pressure as there is too much water in the plasma of the blood, causing the blood volume to be too great. this abnormally high blood volume places pressure on blood vessel walls and so raises blood pressure and so places a strain on the heart (this is a an additional reson for high blood pressure and explains why people are sometimes given diuretics for HBP). however, this is only a problem obviosly if the renal system isn't working properly! for the average person with healthy kidneys, i see no reason why 8 glasses would be a problem.
    as for pottasium levels, yes drinking alot of water can deplete levels of this mineral in the body but an easy way round the problem is to simple add a banana to one's diet.
    again, drinking with meals does dilute digestive enzymes, but just drink water or other fluids not within 20 mins of eating and not within 1 hour afterwards. with the number of hours in the day, its still quite easy to drink 8 glasses a day away from meal times. so again, thats that argument dealt with.
    the last point about animals not drinking unless they are thirsty. a fair assertion- the same is sensible in regards to eating. however, it seems pretty foolish to generalise in saying that 8 glasses is the max for everyone in every situation. many situations increase the need to drink more, eg. working in offices with air conditioning, when travelling, exercising, hot climates. all of these situations increase the need for additional water to be taken and the person in the situation would no doubt feel thirsty as their body cries out to be given the chance to restore homeostasis! an extreme and unlikely scenario, but someone running around in a desert would need far more than 8 glasses a day. hopefully he hasn't been fooled into believing this rubbish or he'll end up dead!!!!!!

jamie.

Last edited by allbetter; 10-24-2006 at 04:34 AM.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Eight glasses of water...64 to 80 ounces of water is NOT too much water for daily drinking...most people get far more when all water based liquids are considered.
    Personally I drink at least double that amount, considereing my coffee, soda, soup and plain cold water because I am thirsty for it.

I think the 64 ounces is what FEMA recommends for the average person who is normally active. More if it is hot or humid and perspiration is increased.

My rule of thumb is to drink enough to quench thirst and then a little more.

Too much water cann make you very ill or even kill.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-24-2006 at 05:00 AM.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 808Lion
    But so what's the truth?
    What are we supposed to believe?
    There seems to be some pretty diametrically opposed points of view here...
    Should we only sip on water when thirsty?
    Or should we drink the 8+ glasses of water a day that you read so much about?...

VERY interested to hear what people have to say...
    Well, I treat what I read on the internet with a grain of salt. There is way too much hype. I have three different types of physicians I see regularly, as well as dieticians and nutritionists I come in contact with for my work. These are the folks I tend to listen to, and they all say at least 64 oz per day; to listen to your body and pay attention to other fluids and foods you consume and how they relate to water in our bodies.

I've witnessed no diametrically opposed views in the professionaly-licensed medical community, only from members of the public on message boards and forums. I'll put my stock and trust in the professionals on this one who all say the exact same thing

Old 10-24-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
    allbetter
    Inactive
    (male)

allbetter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin

My rule of thumb is to drink enough to quench thirst and then a little more.
    yes, indeed. because thirst isn't a 100% reliable indication of a person's need for water- people actually are 1% dehydrated when the thirst urge strikes. drink before the urge to prevent the dehydration (proactive rather reactive).

alex.

Last edited by allbetter; 10-24-2006 at 07:45 AM.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User

GREAT responses everyone...
    thanks VERY much for all the input...
    allbetter, thanks very much for the information... it was VERY reassuring and i'm grateful you took the time to post all that...

guess i was thrown for a loop for a minute and became pretty disheartened because over the past few years i had made a conscious and dedicated effort to making sure i drink anywhere from 64 - 128 oz. of water a day on average...

and StenoLady1, you are absolutely correct...
    i should know better then to get too wound up because of something i read on a message board...

did some googling of my own after i started this thread yesterday and felt much better after reading a lot of what i read on some medical sites, news sites, etc...
    i guess the average person loses an average of 1.5 liters of water a day anyway, so drinking the 64 oz. just barely replaces even that...

thanks again to everyone for contributing and i'll continue to monitor this thread to see if there are any more additions... :-)

Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TGN
    FYI: 1.5 liters= 27 oz, thus if you're drinking 64 oz you're drinking 3.5 liters per day.

18 oz= l liter, so the amount you're drinking 128 oz, you're drinking 7 liters per day, which is certainly a good amount.
    huh?
    1 liter = 33.8140226 US fluid ounce

Closed Thread