It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• help!! lactose intolerant! : (

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
    rysta787
    (female)

rysta787 HB User
    help!! lactose intolerant! : (

Hello,
    I have recently found out that I am lactose intolerant. I am not planning on completely restricting all dairy from my diet. However, I am going to start limiting the amount of dairy I take in. I am worried about not getting enough calcium, vitamin, D, vitamin A, and other nutrients that are often found in dairy products in my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions of foods high in calcium??

Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
    lazedays
    (female)

lazedays HB User
    Re: help!! lactose intolerant! : (

Do you know for sure it's lactose intollerance? Alot of people have trouble digesting milk fat, and the always think it's a lactose problem. Try switching to fat free milk, and low fat or 2% cheeses and nonfat yogurt. Try this for a week or so, and see if it makes any difference. I'm dairy fat intollerant. I get crampy, almost diareha like symptoms when I have to much high fat dairy. I drink tons of fat free milk, eat fat free yogurt and 2% milk cheese and have no problems.

If you truly are lactose intollerant women's one a day will give you alot of the vitamins you'll need.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
    YorkieLuvr
    (female)

YorkieLuvr HB User

A lot of confusion surrounds dairy products.

Actually a well balanced diet will provide adequate levels of calcium. Beans, certain soy products, certain nuts, dark green veggies are all options.

If you are still concerned, then you can supplement your diet with vitamins.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

rysta,

Anyone who is lactose intolerant can STILL get the calcium and the dairy if they choose a fully feremented product like Kefir ot even hard cheeses, neither of which has anything but the tiniest bit of lactose left...it has all been transformen to lactic acid which is not an allergen to anyone (since the body makes it from ALL carbohydrates.)

I spent almost 20 years completely lactose intolerant. I know how miserable it can be.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-11-2006 at 04:02 AM.

Closed Thread