It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• The benefits/disadvantages of cereal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
    italia_campioni
    (male)

italia_campioni HB User
    Smile The benefits/disadvantages of cereal

I am curious to know how good or bad cereal can be for you.
    I seriously have like two bowls everyday for breakfast before work and have it as a late after dinner snack. My choice of milk is usually 1% or fat-free. I eat all the cereals like wheaties cheerios, the sugary one, I like them all, things haven't changes since I was a kid.
    So basically I am 23 yrs old and like to pay attention to things like my weight and health. If anyone has an opinion, I enjoy them all. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: The benefits/disadvantages of cereal

Cereals are generally good foods. Candy isn't.
    Many of the "cereals" that are geared to appeal to children are much more the latter than the former.

Eat the Cheerios, but not the kind that is encrusted with sugar. The differences can be astounding:
    Cheerios is 3% sugar; Apple Cinnamon Cheerios is 43% sugar by weight.

Who ever invented cocoa-puffs should spend time in prison if he's till alive.

Stick to the basics like Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Puffed Wheat, and Oatmeal, and Shredded Wheat and you can have a quick tasty delicious breakfast that is reasonably healthy.

But avoid anyting with the words "frosted," "sugar-coated," or brightly colored messes of red, green, blue and purple!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-02-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
    dand5
    (male)

dand5 HB User

There is more to cereal than that. You should watch out for overly fortified cereals; i.e. those that contain vitamins and minerals that exist at 50% or more of the DRV (some exceptions for vitamin C and others are OK I think). Iron is especially bad for men who don't typically lose large quantities of blood throughout the year. I can't remember exactly, but I think that cheerios are OK as far as that goes.

Personally, I think cereal is overrated as a healthy food. It is in fact fairly processed and the milk people eat it with isn't that healthy either. I cut cereal out of my diet a few years ago and eat bannanas for breakfast instead. I have more frequent bowel movements and healthier looking stools
    as a result. In fact, I have gotten so used to them, they taste quite sweet
    to me now. Go for bannanas.

Last edited by dand5; 01-03-2007 at 02:38 AM.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Why do so many cereals have Iron added to them? There are a lot of people out there that don't need any added iron in their meals.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CM,

Because it is a very stupid archaic, LAW in the United States that grains must be fortified...and iron fortification is one of the requirements.
    I don't want any iron but cannot find a single pasta sold in the U.S. without iron "enrichment."
    Can you IMAGINE requiring iron in every pasta and rice product because WOMEN menstruate? Can we at least have HIS and HER Linguini then?

Nobody ever said that lawmakers must common sense...and most don't.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-11-2007 at 06:16 AM.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
    jdrumstik
    (male)

jdrumstik HB User

a few months ago I was addicted to cereal, or really the sugar in it. Every night I would go through 2 or 3 bowls before sleep. I realized that I was addicted to the sugar cereal so I bought some off brand (Great Value) Raisin Bran, and it was just as bad (24g a serving). So I got over what the SuperSize Me guy calls the three day hump and I haven't bought cereal since.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
    smallgingerone
    (female)

smallgingerone HB User

Lenin,

With regards to iron fortification the levels of iron you actually absorb are very small.

The recommended amount for men is 8mg per day and the maximum that should be consumed is 45mg per day. But any iron in cereals or bread/pasta/etc is not readily absorbed in to the body. It is classified as nonheme (iron in meat is classified as heme). The body will absorb 2-20% of nonheme iron put in to it. So a serving of cereal (3/4 cup) 100% fortified with iron will contain 18mg of iron. The body will absorb at the most 3.6mg (may be as little as 0.36mg).

Tannins (found in tea), calcium, polyphenols, and phytates (found in legumes and whole grains) can decrease absorption of nonheme iron, so a bowl of cereal with milk will reduce the intake of iron further.

Any excess in iron intake, will in most cases, just be excreted with other waste. And as i mentioned before total daily intake can be as high as 45mg per day before it becomes an issue.

You need not worry about your pasta and cereal (unless it is all you eat) or you suffer from hemochromatosis.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:37 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Unfortunately added to the "non-heme" sources that we CANNOT avoid becasue the government mandates it in every grain source are the many HEME (blood) sources like meat.
    Thus it is EXTEREMELY easy for men to be dforced to consume too much iron...and the only way for men to get rid of it is to BLEED it out.

Some European studies find links between high ferritin levels in men and vascular damage to coronary arteries. And remember, what we eat in cereal is added to other HEME sources that are very well abosrbed...like that 1/2 pound lean burger with 6 mg. of iron from blood red beef hemoglogbin.

For healthy, meat-eating men who are not bleeding internaly, iron supplementation is a DREADFUL and unhealthy idea.

It must be consummately clear that men and menstruating women should NOT be put in the same category as regards iron supplementation.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-20-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
    smallgingerone
    (female)

smallgingerone HB User

Yes, heme iron is absorbed more readily by the body, but still only 15-35% of the iron in heme sources is absorbed and yes, menstruating women need more than twice the amount of iron as men need (18mg per day compared to 8).

But, I would say the vast majority of women who are having natural periods - ie those not on hormonal contraception are not obtaining enough iron from their diets suggesting that the fortification is not overloading the body.

However, as i mentioned before, males can intake 45mg per day before it becomes an serious issue and up to this point excess iron will be excreted from the body with out causing damage.

The affects to the coronary arteries that you mention only effects those with hemochromatosis (a gentetic condition where a persons body more readily absorb iron).

Your body is a fantastic self regulator. If you bypass the limits I mentioned, even on a regular basis, your bodies natural defences are more than capable of adapting.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
    Jen121
    (female)

Jen121 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dand5 View Post
    There is more to cereal than that. You should watch out for overly fortified cereals; i.e. those that contain vitamins and minerals that exist at 50% or more of the DRV (some exceptions for vitamin C and others are OK I think). Iron is especially bad for men who don't typically lose large quantities of blood throughout the year. I can't remember exactly, but I think that cheerios are OK as far as that goes.

Personally, I think cereal is overrated as a healthy food. It is in fact fairly processed and the milk people eat it with isn't that healthy either. I cut cereal out of my diet a few years ago and eat bannanas for breakfast instead. I have more frequent bowel movements and healthier looking stools
    as a result. In fact, I have gotten so used to them, they taste quite sweet
    to me now. Go for bannanas.

I agree with you, however I disagree to eat bananas every morning. Moderation is key, and you should add different fruits as well.

There are other cereal options out there other than cherrios (which i do not think is healthy one bit) there are plenty of organic brands, or you can just make oatmeal yourself as a breakfast

Not only is the cereal bad, but it promotes milk, which has in my opinion turned into an another issue due to all the hormones.

Closed Thread