It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Soy is deadly!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
    Barbecue
    (male)

Barbecue HB User
    Thumbs down Soy is deadly!

I know, they sell soy products in health food stores, so it must be healthy... right?

Wrong.

In its natural state it is poisonous and must be fermented to be edible.

Soy contains Isoflavones (Genistein and Daidzein). In soy the isoflavones are built in insecticides. If they kill bugs are they good for humans?

Feeding an infant soy baby formula is like giving them 5 birth control pills per day!

I was made deathly ill from soy - it nearly killed me. I'm still recovering and taking drugs for hyperthyroidism after two years of daily soy consumption. I replaced milk with soy due to the fact that I have lactose intolerance.

Farmers love soy, because you don't need to fertilize it. Soy fixes nitrogen in the soil, so is a wonderful thing to grow! So then what do you do with it all? Well, hawk it to the trusting masses, that's what. So what if it contains hormones and damages people...

Even the FDA glosses over the fact that soy contains hormones that damage the thyroid.

We have been conducting a huge experiment on our population by feeding them large amounts of soy. In Asia, where they have the highest level of thyroid cancer and thyroid disease (as well as many "lady-boys"), soy has mainly been used as a condiment or filling, except in Japan where they consume tofu.

Stay away from soy!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
    FallingSnow
    (female)

FallingSnow HB User
    Re: Soy is deadly!

I agree with you. There was a case a couple years back about two infants who got fed corn meal (I think) and soy milk mixed together, and both infants died. I'm sure it was corn meal, I remember reading it. That was scary since at the time I was drinking soy milk, trying to get away from dairy. I believe soy is worse than people think and a better choice for milk is something like organic almond, or goat.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
    soy has mainly been used as a condiment or filling, except in Japan where they consume tofu.
    Is Soy good or bad ...i really do not know as i'm always seeing research on this both ways but it sure seems to work for the Japanese whether as Tofu or not....

Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
    Mike In NY
    Inactive
    (male)

Mike In NY HB User

I stopped drinking soy milk two years ago after reading several negative articles. Fortunately, I didn't drink very much of it. A good replacement for soy is Almond Milk made with just almonds and water. I use it in cereals. I see it's now being sold in supermarkets and not just health food stores.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
    Musical_Muse
    Veteran
    (female)

Musical_Muse HB User

I have started drinking rice milk. I tried soy milk but, to me, it tastes terrible. So far, I like the rice milk, though almond milk sounds even better, as I looove almonds . Sadly, I haven't seen this product in the regular grocery stores...perhaps only certain grocery stores??

Anywho, in terms of the soy milk debate, just remember that nothing is black or white--there is usually some gray. For example, dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you, though too much can cause problems. It's all about moderation and finding balance .

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 01-21-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
    Mike In NY
    Inactive
    (male)

Mike In NY HB User

One of the articles that I read about soy milk danger also included rice milk. Speak with your supermarket manager about ordering Almond Milk. It comes in plain unsweetened, vanilla and chocolate. The supermarket that I shop in has Almond Milk in the Soy Milk Section. I even found an Almond Milk imported from Italy that's sold in an Italian Food Market. I predict Almond Milk in the near future will become very popular and more and more supermarkets will have it.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
    Jen121
    (female)

Jen121 HB User

I luuvvv almond milk

Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yikes! Soy actually upsets my stomach so I don't eat it for that reason. Milk was uspetting my stomach so I tried soy milk, but I prefer Lactaid since it tastes like regular milk.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The problem with Rice Milk is the brands I have seen and used contain too much sugar.

There has been too many negative articles about Soy Product-- I really don't know but where there is alot of smoke -- there has to be a FIRE some place??

Harry

Old 01-24-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I only use soy milk when i'm making smoothies, otherwise in cereal or tea/coffee i use cow's milk.

There was something on tv last weekend about soy products and that they could be dangerous for people with cancer or getting treatment for cancer.

I personally feel these days that just about everything is bad for us as the soil has so much pesticide in it, all the animals are fed hormones, fruit and veg are continuously sprayed with chemicals, before the fruit/veg is packaged and transported it is sprayed with a preservative and even in the supermarket they spray the fruit/veg with a preservative solution yet again.

This is why i think no matter which way you go if something is going to affect you personally it will get you no matter what. If there is a chance that soy can be bad then it wont be bad for everybody b/c when you look at any forms of ill health, be it cancer or something else, not everybody across the board is affected. It depends possibly on your genetic makeup or your overall health and immune system on whether soy or other things will affect you negatively.

I have not heard of almond milk so will have to look out for that one. This is what i like about this board, you can find random bits of new info all the time

Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    The problem with Rice Milk is the brands I have seen and used contain too much sugar.

There has been too many negative articles about Soy Product-- I really don't know but where there is alot of smoke -- there has to be a FIRE some place??

Harry
    Which brands of Rice Drink did you try? I have 'Rice Dream' Rice Milk right now, and I didn't see sugar listed at all in the ingredients. So I don't think there is any sugar added, in that brand.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Concerned Male,

I used Rice Dream for over 5 years but only on cereals and I found that they don't add sugar but 1 cup does contain about 27 grams of carbohydrates -- 9 grams are sugar and very little protein.

The carbs in Rice drinks are converted to sugar very readily with me-- and I gained weight.
    I have also used Pacific Rice drink and it just tasted sweeter but it's total Carbs are the same but the sugar content is 14 grams/ cup instead of 9 grams for Rice Dream.

With milk I think the only carbs is the milk sugar -- lactose and it contains alot more protein that seems to level my sugar out more.

As you may know the only sugar that your body uses is glucose-- so every type of sugar that you intake has to be converted to glucose including carbohydrates for all your body & organs to function.

Harry

Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #13
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Concerning Asian people, soy and their overall health, i think there is more to it than them merely using soy products. When you look at their diet and their lifestyle it is very different to us Westeners. The Asian people who have lived for a couple of generations or more in the West are slowly getting all the diseases we have.

My parents migrated from Europe and even now in their country people mostly die of old age and they don't use soy at all and their main dairy products come from cows while a few families might use goat or sheep dairy products. However, even their lifestyle is changing so that in tiny stages they are catching up with Western illnesses. Even so, breast cancer and childhood cancers and leukemia are not that frequent, whereas in the West it's amazing how many young children are in hospital wards with leukemia or some form of cancer and so many females have breast cancer and the females with breast cancer are getting younger and younger.

So i don't think soy is bad for you and i don't think dairy products from cows are bad either, unless you have actual intolerance to it, but instead i think you have to look at the big picture, you can't just look at soy v's cow milk, it's all the other things you consume, the air we breath, our lifestyle, the way we work, the drugs we take eg: birthcontrol etc

Old 01-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brokngrrl View Post
    Cow milk is made for baby cows!!!
    How simple is that?
    Drinking cow's milk is so unnatural if you really think about it. Its like baby animals breastfeeding from a person. Gross!!
    If soy and tofu were so bad then why is that vegans are so healthy and disease-free. And no they are not weak and brittle like most of you imagine vegans to be. There are so many other ways to get protein and other nutrients. Wake up people! Don't believe the BS!!
    Mammalian milk is mammalian milk, nothing so strange in all that when you think about it. No one has to drink it if they don't want to.

When you say vegans are "so healthy and disease free", that is a rather sweeping statement. It's more an opinion. It's like saying "all apples are juicy" or some such! I know several who are horridly unhealthly.

A little soy probably won't hurt anyone, unless you have health problems that keep you from eating it. Some people can get by with eating a lot of it, I'm sure. I certainly wouldn't give it to a baby or young child. I do know that I nearly destroyed my health by eating large amounts of it, and it took me a long time to recover.

All things in moderation.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 AM   #15
    FallingSnow
    (female)

FallingSnow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids View Post
    You might be right about drinking cow's milk being gross. I used to wash down a dinner of cow's heart, cow's tongue, and a side of chicken livers, with a glass of cow's milk. From now on I'll drink Soy Milk with it.
    Eww.

Closed Thread