It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Oatmeal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
    thatgirltoo
    (female)

thatgirltoo HB User
    Question Oatmeal

So, in my determination to eat healthier, I've decided to give oatmeal another try. Yes, I've tried it before, and blech! So what I'm wondering is, how do you make your oatmeal more appetizing? I need some ideas on what to add to make it taste better. And about the flavored packets of instant oatmeal, is that still considered healthy or is there too much sugar in them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Oatmeal

I took me a long while to overcome that "blecch factor" too.

What helps is:
    1. a few Tbsp of raisins cooked into the oatmeal.
    2. Honey on top (when finished cooking) or else a Tbsp. of brown sugar cooked in.
    3. a teaspoonful of cinnamon cooked in
    4. NEVER using the INSTANT variety which comes out more like glue than oats...you should be able to discern separate "groats" with your tongue rather than just a pile of amorphous glop.

With those innoivations I can get it down twice a week.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
    thatgirltoo
    (female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
    I took me a long while to overcome that "blecch factor" too.

What helps is:
    1. a few Tbsp of raisins cooked into the oatmeal.
    2. Honey on top (when finished cooking) or else a Tbsp. of brown sugar cooked in.
    3. a teaspoonful of cinnamon cooked in
    4. NEVER using the INSTANT variety which comes out more like glue than oats...you should be able to discern separate "groats" with your tongue rather than just a pile of amorphous glop.

With those innoivations I can get it down twice a week.
    Thanks for the tips, Lenin But, it doesn't sound all that promising when you can only get it down twice a week, LOL. Hmm, I guess twice a week is better than never, right?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
    KittenPaws
    Veteran
    (female)

KittenPaws HB User

i use cinninmon, sometimes brown sugar, cooked apples, slices of banana, strawberrys.... off the top of my head

Old 01-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
    fairycake
    (female)

fairycake HB User

You could also add nutmeg as well as cinnamon. I sweeten mine with rice milk as a healthier alternative to adding sugar.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
    SweetThing789
    (female)

SweetThing789 HB User

I use the instant one by Quaker that says weight control on the box, it has more fiber and protein than regular instant. I get the banana bread or blueberry falvored ones, they are delicious to me and a lot more filling than regular instant. Just my opinion. SweetThing

Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
    AmandaH
    (female)

AmandaH HB User

I also like raisins and brown sugar or Splenda cooked into mine. I also add a little milk.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
    Ding
    Veteran
    (female)

Ding HB User

dried fruit, chooped nuts, half a fruit yoghurt on top, peaches, peaut butter mixed in is my personal favourite

Old 01-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
    Kathrin74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Where I grew up (Switzerland) we often use oatmeal in "Musli", and we use it raw. Mix a couple spoons of oatmeal with yogurt, some vut-up fruit and nuts. It's really yummy.

Kathrin

Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 AM   #10
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

For Me I add Chocolate Chip Mint Or Double Rich Chocolate Flavor Whey protein powder (Optimums Nutrition) and a teasspoon of Olive Oil and now i have a healthy carb with a healthy protein and a healthy fatty acid and the flavored Whey makes it taste good. Some times if i do not feel like cooking or preparing a meal so i'll have this for lunch and/or diinner. Takes 3 minutes to make by microwave....

Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 AM   #11
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I despised oatmeal my whole life. Agreed on the "blech." It didn't matter what I put on it, either, healthy stuff or my momma's oatmeal, heavy cream and butter. It just reminded me of sludge.

Until ...

I tried steel-cut oats. They are unbelievably delicious. They remind me of homemade rice pudding.

The only con to these glorious groats are they take a long time to make (about 45 minutes), and for the last half-hour, you pretty much need to stand over the stove and stir them or else they stick.

However, I make a big pot of them on Sunday morning and incorporate a kitchen chore I'd be doing anyway (cleaning out fridge, cupboards or pantry), and they serve as breakfast for DH & I through Friday. Just nuke a scoop in the microwave on weekday mornings with a little milk for a couple minutes, sprinkle two teaspoons of brown sugar on them...yummy.

And they're seriously healthy. You're getting a true whole-grain with these puppies! Not a processed little "flake" that used to be a whole-grain.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #12
    PinstripedBabe
    (female)

PinstripedBabe HB User

i absolutley LOVE to experiment with my food and try new thing and one experiment that ive tried and have been HOOKED on latley is peanut butter mixed in w/ my oatmeal. make oatmeal on the stovetop and after its cooked, take a spoonful of peanut butter and let it melt then mix it all up. afterwards i add lots of cinnoman and some raisins. its reallllly yummy. its kind of like peanut butter oatmeal raisin cookies.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I absolutely LOVE the tast of steel cut oats. I don't like to fiddle with them for so long though.

And the price is EXORBITANT. I don't see why food that is fed to horses has to be packed in fancy can and marked up 5000%.

But as I rare treat I spring for the $5 for a tin.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Yeah, I think we're paying the hefty price for the groovy Irish tin, not the oats. The tins at my store run around $7.00!

I found much cheaper organic steel-cut oats in my grocery aisle over in the exotic flour section. I think they're put out by Bob Mills (I don't have a bag to double-check the name -- I always just put them in my cool tin and chuck the bag).

Anyway, they're right around $2.00 to 3.00 for a big bag that lasts DH & I about four weeks.

My mom has found the Bob Mills (again, I *think* that's the name) at her produce market for $1.79 a bag.

I'm hitting the store today, and I'll double-check the name if you want to try to get your hands on some.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thank you StenoLady, I am VERY familiar with Bob's Red Mill. I've used their zanthan gum for YEARS and my supermarket carries a pretty wide range of their products. If not there I'll look in WHOLE FOODS in Manhattan...they have EVERYTHING.

I will seek out their steel-cut oats.

Closed Thread