It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• New job on 3rd shift, advice on meal planning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
    italia_campioni
    (male)

italia_campioni HB User
    New job on 3rd shift, advice on meal planning

Hello everyone.... What I am about to write I hope someone can provide some helpful information. Just briefly, I am 23 yr old man. Back in november of 2005, I weighed about 265lbs (only 5'8"). I know this will sound bizarre but from december of 05 to the end of march 06, with diet and exercise, I was able to get down to 150lbs. Its been about a year now and with my eating lifestyle change I have kept the weight off and still am 150.
    To keep it off the past year, I have done about 30 to 45 min cardio every other day or so, sometimes twice a week because I get cardio from soccer practice and games every week. As far as eating, I eat so much healthier now. I eat about 4 times a day. The key, in my opinion, is not eating past 7 or 8pm (obviously sometimes I cheat but what can you do). Ill have cereal and wheat toast or an apple for breakfast, maybe some tuna or more fruit for a snack, lunch is always some grilled chicken on wheat or tuna on wheat with cantalope or honeydew slices for lunch. Dinner is always small, like a garden salad and an edys fruit bar. To be honest, sometimes I don't eat dinner because I have eaten so good already and don't have hunger. Now my main question......
    I'm starting my new job tomorrow that requires me to work 11pm to about 730 or 8am. Like I mentioned before, one thing I try not to do is eat late. But obviously I will be up the hours I normaly sleep. So I am wondering what would you suggest that I do to change my eating plan. I figure I will sleep after work til the afternoon. Definitely I will eat when I wake up, eat a snack or 2 again and possibly another meal b4 naping b4 work?? I'm worried about eating while working, I'm not used to eating that late. I'm sorry I sound anal but I worked hard to get the body I always wanted and I want to keep it. Any suggestions would be helpful, I do appreciate your time reading this. Take care...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
    sumi
    Inactive
    (female)

sumi HB User
    Re: New job on 3rd shift, advice on meal planning

Your fears are very natural and I uderstand how you feel. I had the same problem a couple of years ago when my schedule changed and I had to work that shift. It will be hard, I have to admit it takes some times getting your body used to such a huge change. The main thing to keep in mind is that your body is used to sleeping those hours and you will probably crave caffeine and sugar to keep awake. My advice would be to shift all your foods to different times. For example when you wake up have your lunch, work out and have a snack. Before you go to work have your dinner ( but have something substantial like protein and veggies or a salad with chicken, you need to eat more protein at this meal because it will make you full longer) and make sure you take somekind of a snack with you like fruit or granola. When you leave work in the morning go home and have an egg white omelette or something you would have for breakfast.
    I hope this helped, its al about balance and keep in mind that a calorie in is a calorie out, the times you eat aren't as important as the food you eat. At night when you have your lightest meal you are going to sleep so your body doesn't need much more but when you have to go to work at that time you will need more to keep you going.

Closed Thread