It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Steak-Is it good for you?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
    fairydust7
    (female)

fairydust7 HB User
    Re: Steak-Is it good for you?

When I make stir fry I prepare everything ahead of time (like cut up all the veggies, the meat, make the sauce, etc), then I heat up a burner between medium high and high heat and i add a tablespoon of oil (olive or canola) and then I quickly cook the meat and toss in the veggies and lightly cook them, add the sauce and stir it well to make sure everything gets coated and I remove it from heat. I don't need to use a lot of oil doing it that way. If I cook stir fry over lower heat and cook the vegetables longer then I find that the meat and veggies and stuff get stuck to the bottom.

When I get tired of chicken and don't feel like eating pork or fish, I make meatless meals. I'll make spaghetti from scratch, or a lentil soup, or a squash soup, etc. Infact if you eat lentils with barley or brown rice it makes a complete protein meal. Even my husband who used to be a complete carnivore loves the lentil and barley soup I make. Some nights when I don't care for meat or don't feel like cooking we'll just both eat cut up veggies and fruits for dinner instead.

Another way to cook meats so you don't eat as much of the animal fat is to broil them or bake them on a grate. I have a pan thats like a cookie sheet, except it has a top that has grates, so I can put meat on it and bake it open (or covered with tinfoil if I want) and the fat will drip down between the grates into the pan below it. My only problem with it is that sometimes the stuff that drips down will start to burn and create smoke. I just pour about a half cup of water on the bottom pan before I put it in the oven so that my kitchen doesn't get filled with smoke. I also always spray the grate with cooking oil spray ( i always use olive oil) so that the meats don't get stuck and tear apart when I remove them for dinner. I cook a lot of lean marinated meats like this during the winter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
    viccles
    Veteran
    (female)

viccles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isis498 View Post
    I don't know if you can do this with stir fry meat or not. BTW, is that how it is labeled, is it strips or something? I take pieces of lean pork, different cuts, put minced garlic, sea salt, pepper, any other spice you like, some barbecue sauce, and bake slowly. It's very good. The sauce keeps it moist, I don't need to add any oil at all. If it has any fat at the bottom of the dish after cooking, I pour it all off. You don't need a lot of barbecue sauce, just enough to spoon across the top a bit, just for flavor, and keep it moist. 3 Tbsp. maybe. Cover the dish with a lid, that keeps the steam in. You can do it in a crock pot while you are away for the day, too.
    Yeah these are just called stir fry pork strips

Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #18
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I think everyone pretty much summed it up. Steak is good and bad for you just like a lot of other foods. It's filled with tons of nutrients but then also bad fats. A lean cut of steak is the best for health reasons since any fat that is solid at room temperature is saturated fat and goes right to your arteries and clogs them.

One thing to consider though is your cholesteral level. If you are at a healthy level and heart disease does not run in your family steak is a good option. Very lean steak is the healthiest but we all know it's not tender at all and really does not taste that great. I have steak about once a week and I actually go with the Ribeye fatty kind and tonight I had prime rib out to eat which had tons of fat on it but I cut away the fat. My cholesteral levels are very good. As long as you aren't eating beef more then once a week I think you are fine. Other days though I eat salmon which is filled with healthy fats that lower the bad cholesteral in your body and I eat boneless skinless chicken breasts and lean pork chops and turkey burgers even.

Each person needs to evaluate there own health risks when eating fatty foods of any kind. I know people who have lived until they are 95 years old eating fatty whole milk, eggs and beef so each person really is different with how they react to fatty foods. My main point I guess is to have your cholestoral level checked on a regular basis so you know if what you are eating is starting to cause problems.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #19
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by viccles View Post
    I was thinking of eating pork. I have some stir fry meat in the freezer (is this ok?) I like stirfry except the problem is it always needs to be cooked in a lot of oil. Is there any other method of cooking I can do to cook the meat without all that oil?

Yes, there definitely is a method. I stir fry food all the time but stir frying doesn't have to mean lots of oil. In fact, the less oil the better. What I do is simply use oil spray to coat the pan and then stir fry in that. As long as the food doesn't stick to the pan it's all OK and mine never sticks. It gets nicely browned on the outside and stays moist on the inside (I am talking about meats, of course). One tablespoon of oil is about 100 calories while a few seconds of oil spray is about 10 and everyone who eats my stir fried food thinks it's great. Give oil spray a try.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #20
    ranger42
    (male)

ranger42 HB User

It's insanely good for you. Great source of zinc. Eat the fat too.

Last edited by ranger42; 04-18-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Closed Thread