It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Does muscle contain fat?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
    Chamach
    (male)

Chamach HB User
    Does muscle contain fat?

When I'm buying something like bacon, I'll usually get packets where the main pink part/muscle is just pink, with no white streaks. Then I'll remove the surrounding fat and grill the meat. Likewise, I tend to buy the leanest fillets of meat and remove any excess fat before cooking. Now, people talk about how dangerous red meat is, how you should eat it no more than once a month, and so on, but are they only saying this because most people leave the fat on? Or, to phrase it more simply, if I cut of a thin sliver of pure red meat, will it contain any 'insidious' fat?

Last edited by Chamach; 03-23-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
    MaxOT26
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MaxOT26 HB User
    Re: Does muscle contain fat?

Yes, muscle actually contains small amounts of fat within it. That is partly why it is physically impossible for humans to get below a certain level of bodyfat. No, people run from red meat mainly because it is higher in cholesterol and saturated fats then say chicken or turkey. However, red meat is by no means "bad" for you, and you do not have to limit it to once a month unless you have been so advised by a trustworthy doctor. Red meat contains a whole host of benefits and is of no more of a threat to a healthy person than eating lettuce. The more and more research that comes to light, the more and more the public is going to being to see that it is not dietary cholesterol and saturated fat that are the enemy of health, but a host of other problems with the Standard American Diet that has this country in a health crisis. Enjoy your meat!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Does muscle contain fat?

Chamuch,

Even the most diligent separation of lean from fat, which the USDA calls "separable lean," contains considerable fat. In fact most cuts of beef with all visible fat removed have almostr 1/2 their calories as fat. Example, a rib steak with all fat and bone removed is 41% fat.

Yes there is invisible fat incorporated into muscle.

<Of course, removing the VISIBLE stuff helps a lot. >

Last edited by Lenin; 03-25-2007 at 07:21 AM.

Closed Thread