It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Salt substitute

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2007, 11:34 PM   #16
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Re: Salt substitute

It does say Onion powder not salt but it really smells salty.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #17
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Yes, it could go either way for you. I still love freshly ground black pepper on eggs best of all. And freshly ground really tastes much better than pre ground.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #18
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I'm sure one of these ingredients will make it taste really good. Doesn't really take much to make an egg taste good. Plus I am using the canola mayonaise which is filled with healthy fats. I also saw that they have mayo made by I can't remember right now but it says Omega 3 or 6 right on the jar. I think I'll try that next time I buy mayo.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #19
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

I buy organic mayonnaise from Trader Joe's (I don't know if you have that in Minneapolis. By the way, I used to live there for 12 years-great area, only a bit too cold for me). This mayo contains organic expeller pressed soybean oil, organic pasterized whole eggs, organic egg yolks, organic white vinegar, SEA SALT, organic dry mustard and organic lemon juice concentrate. It tastes very good. Notice also that salt is almost at the very end of the ingredient list, meaning that it doesn't have too much of it (90 mg in 1T serving).

Last edited by rita; 03-25-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #20
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I've decided I'm going to make the Deviled eggs with extra pepper and I'll use my pepper grinder and onion powder and see how that tastes.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:54 PM   #21
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Anything with fresh ground pepper on it is bound to taste really good
    I think spicy, hot taste is a good substitute for salty taste and I love hot and spicy food.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #22
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well I made them with the fresh ground pepper and onion powder and ground mustard powder. I topped them with a little paprika for extra kick and they look pretty that way too. They taste a lot like they did when I made them with salt. The Onion powder really tastes salty. So they are really good. I'll have to look into if the onion powder I have has salt in it cause it sure seems like it. If not I guess onion powder tastes a lot like salt and that's my solution.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #23
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

I am so glad to hear that onion powder may be the answer to your devilish problem
    All food products sold in the U.S are required to list all ingredients in order of quantity used. If your onion powder has anything in it but onion, that's a big issue for the company since it has not listed it. Even if the onion powder has ONLY onion in it, it still has to list that on the label. Are you sure you looked carefully?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #24
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

The only thing it says is "1 tbsp equals 1 medium size fresh onion. Use in dips, salad dressings, cheese sauce and egg dishes."

Then on the other side of the bottle it has ideas of food to add it to.

It doesn't have a list of ingredients like most things do. It must just be onion though according to what it says. I still say it tastes so much like salt. Onions do have a lot of flavor so maybe it's just the onion coming through.
    I'm still going to check other kinds and buy one that has a list of ingredients on it. I mean it says it equals 1 fresh onion but it doesn't say there is no salt in there. I'm going out to buy a lawn chair and I'll look at the seasonings too.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #25
    CalistaBear
    (female)

CalistaBear HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rita View Post
    Sea salt by any other name is still salt or sodium chloride as it is known in chemistry. Granted, sea salt also has some minerals in it that commom table salt doesn't, among them potassium, but it is still 98% sodium chloride.
    If someone is on a low sodium diet due to a health concern or an existing condition they have to avoid ALL sodium, whether it comes from the sea or is mined elsewhere. Yes, if you can use salt, by all means, sea salt is a better and healtheir choice due to its lack of additional chemicals. But if you need to seek a salt substitute, sea salt is not it.
    As far as claims that sea salt has helped people lose weight, well, that would be news to me. I would love to know how adding sodium to your diet helps with weight loss but who knows?
    Rita, where do you get your information from? Little do you know that Unrefined sea salt is not the same as normal table salt. This is the problem with people, because the word "salt" is used they automatically think of sodium. Table salt is genetically modified to distroy our bodies, sea salt is pure if you know where to find it. It is enriched with 80 minerals in it, straight from the ocean. It will not raise your blood pressure it will keep it in check. Yes, I lost 10 pounds and so did a lot of other people who are taking it. My panic attacks practically disappeared! I think it's not fair for you to tell people to stay away from ALL salt, until you do your own research.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 AM   #26
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CalistaBear View Post
    Rita, where do you get your information from? Little do you know that Unrefined sea salt is not the same as normal table salt. This is the problem with people, because the word "salt" is used they automatically think of sodium. Table salt is genetically modified to distroy our bodies, sea salt is pure if you know where to find it. It is enriched with 80 minerals in it, straight from the ocean. It will not raise your blood pressure it will keep it in check. Yes, I lost 10 pounds and so did a lot of other people who are taking it. My panic attacks practically disappeared! I think it's not fair for you to tell people to stay away from ALL salt, until you do your own research.

I get my information by educating myself, both formally through schooling and informally by doing a little research. If you do some research yourself you will find that what I said was exactly correct. Unrefined sea salt contains 98.0% NaCl (sodium-chloride) and about 2.0% other minerals (salts). Table salt is 100% sodium chloride.These are the facts and cannot be disputed by anyone.
    It is the sodium chloride part that is responsible for elevating blood pressure and which should be avoided by people whose medical condition warrants it.
    Before advocationg something that may be harmful to some people, it's a good idea to get your facts in order.

Last edited by rita; 04-03-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 AM   #27
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Regardless..........The chemicals used to remove the "impurities" can include sulfuric acid or chlorine. All food-grade salt (i.e., refined salt) available in the U.S. standards. Up to at least 2 percent of refined salt may contain anti-caking, free flowing, or conditioning agents, which can be toxic to the body. These agents include sodium ferrocyanide, ammonium citrate, and aluminum silicate, a form of aluminum. Sugar is added to try to take away the bitter taste, but does not work, to me anyway. And then, refined salt has iodide added to it. Which makes, in my opinion, a brew of a not-so-healthy ingredients.

You've taken a natural element and turned it into a heat blasted, chemically basted table item.

AND, if you ever taste a good quality, gray or pinkish really natural sea salt, you will realize just how metallic, bitter and chemically usual table salt tastes. I won't allow regular table salt in my house again for that simple reason alone.

The sea salt makes any and all your food taste so much nicer and smoother to the palate, not bitter.

No comparision.

I won't go into all the reasons why I believe it is used by the body differently than table salt either, which is a whole other story, and is worthy of anyone doing their homework on; they just may be enlightened. But it's no wonder people have to restrict it because they swell up and their body cannot tolerate it.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #28
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isis498 View Post
    Regardless..........The chemicals used to remove the "impurities" can include sulfuric acid or chlorine. All food-grade salt (i.e., refined salt) available in the U.S. standards. Up to at least 2 percent of refined salt may contain anti-caking, free flowing, or conditioning agents, which can be toxic to the body. These agents include sodium ferrocyanide, ammonium citrate, and aluminum silicate, a form of aluminum. Sugar is added to try to take away the bitter taste, but does not work, to me anyway. And then, refined salt has iodide added to it. Which makes, in my opinion, a brew of a not-so-healthy ingredients.

You've taken a natural element and turned it into a heat blasted, chemically basted table item.

AND, if you ever taste a good quality, gray or pinkish really natural sea salt, you will realize just how metallic, bitter and chemically usual table salt tastes. I won't allow regular table salt in my house again for that simple reason alone.

The sea salt makes any and all your food taste so much nicer and smoother to the palate, not bitter.

No comparision.

I won't go into all the reasons why I believe it is used by the body differently than table salt either, which is a whole other story, and is worthy of anyone doing their homework on; they just may be enlightened. But it's no wonder people have to restrict it because they swell up and their body cannot tolerate it.

Regardless of its delicious taste, which was not the issue in which the original poster was interested, sea salt is still mostly sodium chloride. There is just no way around that fact. This being the case, your body will recognize it as sodium chloride and metabolize it as sodium chloride, deliciuos taste notwithstanding.
    Again, the issue under discussion is not the superior taste of sea salt or even the potential benefits of sea salt vs table salt. I do not dispute these in the least. In fact, I use sea salt myself (if I really must have salt).
    The original poster asked whether there are any good salt substitutes which would not have the negative side effects of salt, that being a rise in blood pressure, bloating, etc.
    In answer to that question, one cannot advocate sea salt as a good substitute because it will still produce the side effects which concerened the original poster.

Last edited by rita; 04-03-2007 at 08:13 AM.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #29
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rita View Post
    Regardless of its delicious taste, which was not the issue in which the original poster was interested, sea salt is still mostly sodium chloride. There is just no way around that fact. This being the case, your body will recognize it as sodium chloride and metabolize it as sodium chloride, deliciuos taste notwithstanding.
    Again, the issue under discussion is not the superior taste of sea salt or even the potential benefits of sea salt vs table salt. I do not dispute these in the least. In fact, I use sea salt myself (if I really must have salt).
    The original poster asked whether there are any good salt substitutes which would not have the negative side effects of salt, that being a rise in blood pressure, bloating, etc.
    In answer to that question, one cannot advocate sea salt as a good substitute because it will still produce the side effects which concerened the original poster.
    That is totally your right to your opinion. I also stand by my statement above of:

I believe ( and it is pretty widely accepted elsewhere) that it IS (table salt) used differently by the body than sea salt, and that sea salt is more healthy and beneficial. A simple search will show you that. I don't believe it's just a myth.

So, lets just agree to disagree on it.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #30
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I don't know the facts but I think it's funny how people think doing a search will give them the answers. Just because something is on the internet does not make it true. I did a search and I found sea salt as being healthy and helping blood pressure on one site and then the next site said it raised blood pressure. Anyone can post a web site online and put whatever they want in there for info.

Closed Thread