It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Salt substitute

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #31
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User
    Re: Salt substitute

I have done some research on this issue and as far as I found out from all the sources, sea salt, is salt, is sodium chloride. It can lead to increased bood pressure in susceptible individuals. Nowhere have I seen even one report that says that it DEFINITELY does not lead to increased blood pressure. So, I always say that where health is concerend, it's best to err on the side of caution and if high blood pressure is an issue at all, to avoid any POSSIBLE contributing factor, especially if it can be easily avoided. Why risk it?
    I am sure you will not agree, It is your right so let's indeed agree to disagree.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #32
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Kari7171 is right. Just because it's on a website doesn't make it true.

Rita makes a lot of sense. Based on several of the sites I read, I see that sea salt is mostly salt. Salt is NaCl. Refined table salt is just sea salt with the trace minerals removed. Sea salt is mostly salt. That's NaCl. In case you think it's mostly something else. If someone is trying to cut way back on salt (NaCl) in their diet, then using a product that is mostly salt (NaCl) will not allow them to cut way back on salt (NaCL) in their diet.

People have learned to use herbs and spices to diguise the fact that they are eliminating salt in their cooking.

I don't know of anything that tastes like salt but isn't salt.

One of the things I do is cook without salt, and then sprinkle a little on the food at the table. A few salt crystals on the ouside of the food will provide a burst of saltiness in my mouth as the salt is disolved while chewing. I get a pleasant taste of salt without waking up dying of thirst in the middle of the night because I ate food that was loaded with the stuff.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #33
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

If someone came up with an herb that tasted like salt some kind of invention they would be rich. There really does not seem to be anything that tastes just like it. There are many sugar substitutes but what about salt. I'll get to work on that right away and then I'll be rich I tell you.. ...haha.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #34
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kari7171 View Post
    I don't know the facts but I think it's funny how people think doing a search will give them the answers. Just because something is on the internet does not make it true. I did a search and I found sea salt as being healthy and helping blood pressure on one site and then the next site said it raised blood pressure. Anyone can post a web site online and put whatever they want in there for info.
    Internet is a wonderful source of information that was previously only available in books or periodicals and very often difficult to obtain. With Internet and the powerful search engines one can find almost any information available anywhere in the world on any subject.
    As far as someone being able to post a site with any information he wishes to dissiminate, well, in a way it's true. But tell me, please, how is that different from an individual publishing a book with any information in it which (s)he choose to include? Have we not had enough self help books and diet books published which would prove my point? There are millions of books out there that espouse only the views of the author, In fact, most books do that. Is all the information one reads in books, magazines and newspapers any more truthful simply because of the medium involved in presenting that information?
    When one does research, it is imperative to include as many sources of unbiased information as possible. Research is meant to be neutral in nature, a way to uncover the truth with as much objectivity as possible. It is not meant to only look for that which supports one's point of view.

Last edited by rita; 04-03-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #35
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I used to think that way too. I don't mean to be disagreeable but I recently started creating my own web pages and websites online about a year ago. I had a health site and I could say anything I wanted. I only had that one for a short time since I am not an expert on the subject.

But it was at that time that I realized how easy it was to create a web site and say whatever I wanted. Then I realized that people actually put validity in what they read online and apply it to there lives so I got rid of it. I got my info from books but still if I decided to say something that was totally wrong I could.

Not that I would ever do that but just so you know people can say whatever they want online in these websites. Then after that as I did searches I realized that the majority of the sites I went to were just others doing the same thing. I do not rely on the internet for my information at all anymore. The internet is a great thing don't get me wrong but I do not rely on it for my medical information.

Just like I stated before. One site I had went to said hey sea salt is good for you and lowers your blood pressure and then the next one said the opposite.

One more thing to add. If someone actually goes through the trouble of writing a book and publishing it they probably have some clue of what they are talking about. The internet is totally different from that in most cases.

Last edited by Kari7171; 04-03-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: wanted to add info

Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #36
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    I used to think that way too. I don't mean to be disagreeable but I recently started creating my own web pages and websites online about a year ago. I had a health site and I could say anything I wanted. I only had that one for a short time since I am not an expert on the subject.

But it was at that time that I realized how easy it was to create a web site and say whatever I wanted. Then I realized that people actually put validity in what they read online and apply it to there lives so I got rid of it. I got my info from books but still if I decided to say something that was totally wrong I could.

Not that I would ever do that but just so you know people can say whatever they want online in these websites. Then after that as I did searches I realized that the majority of the sites I went to were just others doing the same thing. I do not rely on the internet for my information at all anymore. The internet is a great thing don't get me wrong but I do not rely on it for my medical information.

Just like I stated before. One site I had went to said hey sea salt is good for you and lowers your blood pressure and then the next one said the opposite.
    The internet is only a tool and how one uses it makes all the difference. I can find junk sites as quickly as I can find legitimate sources of information, such as articles printed in medical research journals written by renowned scientists. Believe it or not, that kind of information is also available on the Internet. One only has to look.
    In any case, this discussion has gone beyond the subject of the original post. I stated my views on salt and salt substitutes, as have others. I don't think debating this issue is worthwhile. We will agree to disagree.

Last edited by rita; 04-03-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #37
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

lol...no matter what you say I will not make my medical decisions by what I read on the internet. A scientist could have come to some conclusion 5years ago and it's not valid anymore and they have proved it wrong since then and it's posted on the internet somewhere.

The only site I would ever trust is Mayoclinic. out of Rochester. Other then that I have seen sites that seem legit but then when I really search into it the info they have is old and out of date.

Last edited by Kari7171; 04-03-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #38
    LovelyOne
    (female)

LovelyOne HB User

I've had a salt substitute before and it tasted like garbage! I never use salt in any of my cooking just because I do not personally like a "salty" flavor, BUT when I cook for others I use a bit of salt and a lot of fresh herbs, garlic powder, and FRESH ground black pepper. Have you tried scallions or chives in your deviled egg recipe?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #39
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Not yet but scallions and Chives sound like they would be really good. So what's the difference between a scallion and an onion. I know there are green onions but what exactly is a scallion? Is that the same thing. I know chives are totally different. Some people think they are green onions but they are not.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #40
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    lol...no matter what you say I will not make my medical decisions by what I read on the internet. A scientist could have come to some conclusion 5years ago and it's not valid anymore and they have proved it wrong since then and it's posted on the internet somewhere.

The only site I would ever trust is Mayoclinic. out of Rochester. Other then that I have seen sites that seem legit but then when I really search into it the info they have is old and out of date.

No one says you should make medical deisions based on what you find on the internet. Have I even implied such a thing? I simply researched about salt and sea salt, their chemical composition and the prevailing views on benefits vs. side effects of each. This is not a medical decision. It's another source of information that can be used to make a choice in using or not using salt.
    By the way, Mayo clinic is not the greatest source of medical information. There are many others. Thousands of them. Worldwide. I try not to limit myself as to where I obtain my information. I look at as many sources as possible. I also can read the publication date on articles to know if they are out of date. It's not that difficult to do.

Last edited by rita; 04-03-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #41
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Rita,
    I'm talking to Lovelyone right now. You have argued with almost everyone on this thread. It was only a matter of time before you started arguing with what I said too and here we are.

Last edited by Kari7171; 04-04-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #42
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

Sea salt is not mostly sodium, it is mostly minerals..about 98%. Surprised? I agree with the other two posters Rita, a little research can change the way you view sea salt all together. There are all kinds of sea salts out there, not-so-good & excellent. Sea salt from your local grocery store is most likely dead as well, and definitely not unrefined. Special sea salt found on the net that comes from France for example (Grey), is highly beneficial. I did a post on this subject on another topic here and there were some great reviews on taking it. I feel at least 99% better when I consume my sea salt on a daily basis. I use it on food as well and it's amazingly delicious. I know a guy who healed his intestinal disorder and a woman who controlled her high blood pressure. But that's another story, eh?

What works for some may not work for all. I know, but sea salt is the best choice of replacement for regular salt in my opinion.

Kari, if you want a nice replacement then research it for yourself if you want the nutritional benefits added to your meals.

Last edited by Bev92; 04-05-2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #43
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bev92 View Post
    Sea salt is not mostly sodium, it is mostly minerals..about 98%. Surprised?
    No, I am not surprised at all, Bev.
    I wasn't even going to post a reply to this but I find cannot remain silent because that statement almost made me laugh.
    I have to tell you something that may surprise you, though. Sodium Chloride IS also a mineral so your statement is technically quite correct. Sea salt is 98% of the mineral NaCl . The rest are other minerals which make it taste better than table salt and maybe even have some other benefits besides taste. But, the fact remains, sea salt is still mostly sodium chloride, no matter how much you would like to believe otherwise.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 AM   #44
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

Once again...

"There are all kinds of sea salts out there, not-so-good & excellent. Sea salt from your local grocery store is most likely dead as well, and definitely not unrefined. Special sea salt found on the net that comes from France for example (Grey), is highly beneficial." Bev92.

You're referring to the store bought sea salt, again. Yes, store bought sea salt is worthless, you made that point quite clear.

Last edited by Bev92; 04-06-2007 at 04:38 AM. Reason: adding

Old 04-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #45
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

The grey and pinkish colored ones are what to look for. If they are white, forget it.

Closed Thread