HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Salt substitute (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/483616-salt-substitute.html)

Kari7171 03-23-2007 10:32 AM

Salt substitute

Do they make a salt substitute that actually tastes like salt but has no salt in it? I have been eating deviled eggs every morning for breakfast and salt is the main flavor that makes them taste so good. Plus it's so easy to just get up and pop a couple of them in my mouth and go. I use canola mayonaisse so that's healthy I just need to use something besides salt.

AmandaH 03-23-2007 12:09 PM

Re: Salt substitute

I know I've seen salt substitute in the grocery store, but I've never tried it.

CalistaBear 03-25-2007 03:21 AM

Yes, use sea salt. It is not regular salt, it contains a ton of minerals and is very beneficial to your body. Tastes wonderful and 100 times better than salt. Make sure you find the right kind. It should be a slightly grey color and somewhat damp. Health food stores have 'em (not grocery stores!), I got mine online which comes from france!

Lenin 03-25-2007 06:01 AM

[QUOTE]Do they make a salt substitute that actually tastes like salt but has no salt in it?[/QUOTE]

Kari,

No, not really. They ALL taste like potassium chloride which doesn't really fool anybody. I have a friend who managed to acquire a taste for it, but I think she is kidding us both. I've tried, but it just doesn't float my boat.

<Sea salt is just salt at a large markup. It has all the disadvantages of plain old sodium chloride because it is 98% NaCl. >

CalistaBear 03-25-2007 10:16 PM

That's news to me, Lenin, where'd you hear that? Sea salt is full of minerals, I'm not talking about the store bought kind - I'm referring to the pure kind you get online. It's helped a lot of people lose weight & feel better. I have a glass of it everyday recommened by another poster on the panic board and I lost 10 pounds (pregnancy weight), I sleep better and it tastes delish on food. Totally look into it.

Kari7171 03-25-2007 10:23 PM

CalistaBear,
Does sea salt raise blood pressure like regular salt does. That's the main reason I wanted something besides salt.

rita 03-25-2007 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=CalistaBear;2882398]That's news to me, Lenin, where'd you hear that? Sea salt is full of minerals, I'm not talking about the store bought kind - I'm referring to the pure kind you get online. It's helped a lot of people lose weight & feel better. I have a glass of it everyday recommened by another poster on the panic board and I lost 10 pounds (pregnancy weight), I sleep better and it tastes delish on food. Totally look into it.[/QUOTE]

Sea salt by any other name is still salt or sodium chloride as it is known in chemistry. Granted, sea salt also has some minerals in it that commom table salt doesn't, among them potassium, but it is still 98% sodium chloride.
If someone is on a low sodium diet due to a health concern or an existing condition they have to avoid ALL sodium, whether it comes from the sea or is mined elsewhere. Yes, if you can use salt, by all means, sea salt is a better and healtheir choice due to its lack of additional chemicals. But if you need to seek a salt substitute, sea salt is not it.
As far as claims that sea salt has helped people lose weight, well, that would be news to me. I would love to know how adding sodium to your diet helps with weight loss but who knows?

rita 03-25-2007 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=Kari7171;2882402]CalistaBear,
Does sea salt raise blood pressure like regular salt does. That's the main reason I wanted something besides salt.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see your post before I posted my response but that's exactly what I said.
If you are seeking a salt substitute due to a health concern, sea salt is not the answer because it it mostly sodium chloride, chemical that leads to a rise in blood pressure. So avoid ALL salt.
As far as salt substitute, well, none are really very good. I am not on a low sodium diet but I still avoid salt because it causes bloating due to its effect on water retention in the body. I don't enjoy feeling bloated at all! Therefore, I hardly ever use salt and I don't miss it because I use lots and lots of herbs and spices when cooking, sometimes in unusual combinations (I love to experiment) and the food tastes so good that no salt is needed to enhance the flavor. Try using dry spices and herbs and see if they are not the best salt substitute.

Kari7171 03-25-2007 11:05 PM

Is there an herb that tastes like salt...lol. I do love salt. Especially in Deviled eggs.

rita 03-25-2007 11:11 PM

I do not know of any herb that tastes like salt. If you seriously need to avoid all sodium for health reasons then the best thing to do is re educate your taste buds to enjoy tastes other than saltiness. I find that pepper (all kinds of pepper) adds so much zing to a dish (yes, I use it on hard boiled eggs and all other eggs) that I require no other enhancment. Try it.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Garlic powder is great too. NOT garlic salt, but garlic powder. I love garlic and use it every chance I get. Just get a whole bunch of dried herbs and spices and experiment until you find something that, to borrow Lenin's expression, "floats your boat".

Kari7171 03-25-2007 11:20 PM

I do love garlic powder too. Maybe if I increased the pepper in the recipe and then added garlic powder that would taste good maybe some onion powder too. I'll try that. I don't have to avoid salt completely but I just know too much of it is not good and deviled eggs really are super salty and to get up every day and load up on salt is not good that's for sure.

Kari7171 03-25-2007 11:27 PM

I wonder if McCormick Onion powder has salt in it. It smells salty to me. The ingredients are not listed on the bottle.

rita 03-25-2007 11:29 PM

No, it's not good at all and it also doesn't look good on most women, especially during certain times. I hate that pudgy, puffy look that comes from water retention. Makes even thin women look 10 pounds heavier and who needs that?
I read all food labels and you would be surprised by how much and where sodium is hiding in all the processed foods. It's incredible.

rita 03-25-2007 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=Kari7171;2882454]I wonder if McCormick Onion powder has salt in it. It smells salty to me. The ingredients are not listed on the bottle.[/QUOTE]

If it says "Onion Powder" it should be only onion in it. If it says "Onion Salt", then it will have onion and salt in it. Same as with Garlic Powder vs Garlic Salt.

Kari7171 03-25-2007 11:33 PM

Maybe I'll look for a different onion powder that actually has the ingredients listed on it and get the one that doesn't have salt and see what that one smells like and try it. I'll make some deviled eggs tomorrow. I'll let you know how they taste..lol. Could be good could be bad.