It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• complete appetite loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
    momtobaby1
    (female)

momtobaby1 HB User
    Question complete appetite loss

Hi everyone,
    I have had severe problems with my appetite in the last 2 years. It started after my first daughter was born. I lost weight rapidly and no matter what I couldn't gain control over my appetite loss. I became pregnant with my second daughter and was able to get some control over it at least enough to keep healthy for my baby. She was born this past November however and it's been nearly impossible for me to keep up on this. My appetite has disappeared again and I'm really struggling. I do have an appointment scheduled to see a doctor but it's not until May. It was the soonest I could be fit in because of being a new patient. Up until this last 5 months I ignored this because I was able to reason with myself that it would get better on it's own. At this point I really can't ignore it anymore. I've lost a lot of weight that I couldn't afford to lose and along with other symptoms that I'm having I am very concerned, as is my husband.

I know I need to eat but because my appetite is so low it is very hard to do that. I try and eat small bits through the day but often don't do well with it. I am not sure what to do to keep myself at least somewhat healthy while I'm waiting for my appointment. I'm scared that I'll get sicker while waiting for it. Yet it's not an emergency so I can't justify going to urgent care.

I really need some advice on what to do. I'm not asking for a diagnosis or ideas on what it is because I do have some ideas already on what it could possibly be that is going on. What I need is help with knowing what to do nutritionally. I'm struggling to eat enough or even half enough. I can't afford to get sick, I have two young children that I stay at home with full time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

-Val

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User
    Re: complete appetite loss

This doesn't sound too good but you say you pretty much know what is causing this unusual loss of appetite?
    It's difficult to offer advice without having any ideas about what is going on.
    Since it's hard for you to work up an appetite to eat something, could you at least work up some thirst to drink something? It may just be that you will have to drink your food. If you do get thirsty (and I hope you do) use that opportunity to put some calories and nutrition inside of you. Pehaps you should buy those meal replacement shakes. I know they have something in stores made just for adults who need extra nutrition and it comes in forms of delicious shakes. I don't recall the names but if you ask a pharmacist (they are also sold in drug stores) or someone who knows his stuff at a grocery store, they will point you in the right direction. I think these drinks are usually found with all the dietetic products.
    I think that this will definitely help to keep your strength up while waiting for your appointment. In addition to these shakes, you could also make your own smoothies with protein powder and some nice fruit and milk. It will not feel like a meal, more of a cold drink, especially if you have it on ice.
    I really don't know what else to suggest.
    I wish you a speedy recovery from whatever it is that is causing this problem. You must be a young woman and if this has been going on for two years and you were able to get (and stay) pregnant, it must be something that can be successfully treated.
    Take care of yourself, you have a lot of good in your life so don't lose sight of that.

Last edited by rita; 04-06-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mom,

What is your current height and weight.
    Have you ever had a bout with anorexia nervosa?
    How many calories/day are you eatingover an average month.
    Do you ever throw up after eating.
    Have you ever had any yellowing of the skin or very dark urine (liver problems?)

Not to be clinical, but it's hard to make any recommendations without knowing where you stand now.

You need to certainly make sure you get in enough protein, say 60 grams or more and do take a multivitamin pill every day.

Is there any particular type of food that you really LOVE?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
    momtobaby1
    (female)

momtobaby1 HB User

rita, I know the products you are talking about, the most well known ones are Ensure. I have considered this.

Lenin, I am 5'3 and 120 lbs. That isn't underweight at this time but I've managed to drop from 158 to this in under 5 months, which is part of the problem as it was unintended. Yes I did in my early teen years have an eating disorder, at this time though and in the recent years it hasn't been an issue. I've ruled that out already. As for how many calories a day, I'm not really sure because I don't keep track. If I had to make a rough guess I'd guess about 1000, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more. As I said though I don't keep track so it's hard for me to say. No I don't throw up after eating. And no I've never noticed any yellowing of the skin or eyes.

I don't know for sure what is causing this, what I said was that I had "some ideas". I suspect it is possibly Addison's disease. I mentioned this all to a friend's husband who is a doctor and he did say it sounded like some kind of endocrine problem. Looking at symptoms for various problems it does sound a lot like Addison's. And yes I've posted on that board for input. I have had worsening fatigue and weakness along with feeling foggy headed. I have never been able to tolerate the cold well and that along with my other problems it is leading me to believe it might be Addison's.

The biggest barrier to getting enough food into me is that the lack of appetite makes it so I don't even think about eating. Hunger is generally what makes people know to eat, when that is gone it is hard to make an effort. I'm trying to eat when I feel hungry even a little and trying to make a point to eat throughout the day but admittedly it's not easy or going as well as I'd like. I get busy through the day and if my stomach isn't telling me to eat I'm not thinking about it. As for if I love any foods, at this point my list is pretty small. I've never been a "big eater" anyway and have craved salty foods rather than the more typical sweets. Unfortunately right now there isn't any one food that makes me want to eat when I'm not hungry.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
    momtobaby1
    (female)

momtobaby1 HB User

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I've got such a long time to wait until my appointment and have no idea if I should try and force the appointment forward or just leave it and try and deal with this. The big concern is that it seems each day I'm feeling worse and I am not sure how long to wait before trying to force an appointment. I would like to be able to wait for mine but May 15th is an awfully long time.

I've been trying to decide what to do and haven't really gotten anywhere. Other than buying some Ensure and trying to drink my calories I am at a total loss here. It hasn't been until recently that this has started to panic me, that is probably why I'm so confused. I understand that it's very possible that a diagnosis will take awhile but in the meantime what do they expect me to do? I try to force food down but I feel full after just a few bites and if I continue on I feel sick. But ignoring it is only making the weakness more severe. On a good day I feel tired and weak and on these bad days it's so much worse. I really would appreciate any kind of input I can get. My husband says I should go to urgent care so I can get a referral pushed through but I just don't want to be dramatic.

Anyone? Please?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

I think that drinking Ensure and such is OK as a temporary measure and will help to get some calories and nutrients in you so you don't get malnutritioned on top of everything else.
    But I think it's best if you push your appointment up, and as soon as possible. NO one should have to suffer this way and be made to wait for help for two months. That's just unconscionable. PLEASE call whoever it is that you need to call and INSIST that you be seen ASAP. Do not take "no" for an answer. It is your health you are dealing with, not an oil change for your car.
    Ultimately, you are the one responsible for your health and you have to stand up for your rights and demand to be seen. Tell them that if they will not move the appointment up, your condition may get so bad that you will have to visit Emergency room and if so, you'll send them the bill.
    When you feel so bad, your body is trying to tell you something. Don't ignore that message.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
    momtobaby1
    (female)

momtobaby1 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I wish it weren't the weekend, I think the office closed tomorrow.

I think I have a habit of denial because it takes me so incredibly long to even recognize something is really bad. For that I am angry at myself for waiting so long. Everyday was spent thinking it would get better on it's own. These last few days have deteriorated so much though I can't really deny this anymore and think it'll get better. I just need to stop thinking of this as being dramatic and more of that it's doing what I need to to help myself. Downplaying it to myself isn't helping.

I will give them a call tomorrow and if they aren't open I'll call them Monday.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

If its really getting that bad I would take your husbands advice. Are you under a lot of stress? Perhaps your still dealing with the changes in your life. Having kids can be a major change. Well I used to deal with my weight being so low because I didnt have an appetite. Sometimes I would eat yogurt and it would make me feel like I have a lump in my throat and I couldnt barely swallow it. I dont know exactly what caused it, but I think it was because my marraige was rocky and I was all worried and stressed out.

Onto the solutions. The thing that helped me get back up in weight, or I should say more weight than id EVER had, was GNC's weight gainer 2000. It helped me in two ways. One, the serving size was way too big for me to I cut it into a 3rd. This with milk had over 700 calories which was already HALF of what I needed in a day to get better, so I just had to eat like normal the rest of the day. I would drink this at night because I thought that eating before bed was what people losing weight avoid because of something to do with your body processing calories. Dont know if that really helped but I did it. The second way it helped me is that, I had to chug this stuff. If you learn how to make it right, meaning not thick and just like a shake, it is actually pretty good. I got the banana split flavor. Honestly, I started to crave it after a while! But because I had to chug it(otherwise it would take an hour to drink) I think I stretched my stomach out again. Right now your stomach has shrunk and you cannot eat a lot. I would definately burp a few times so I knew it definately filled me up. And after a while I started to get more of an appetite. This stuff also has vitamins in it, it lists everything on the container. This also has WAY more calories than ensure or anything like that, and what you need is calories. I gained 15 ibs in about a few months. My weight immediately started to shoot back up. This got me more motivated to keep at it I was so happy and tired of being too thin.

Like Lenin said, what are your favorite foods. Go out and eat whatever you feel like, even if you have to go out and order it. If you dont want anything, wach food network, wow...Im hungry TALKING about it. Think of things like Spaghetti, Steak and baked potato, lasagnia, or even maybe chicken soup! Whatever your favorites are. Sometimes snacking will make me crave more food then you pig out!!! Eat whatever you can, if you get full fast....eat it later. Some things are better reheated!

If all else fails, the doc can probably give you something that will make you want to eat anything in site. Once I was on this bad antidepressant medicine that I would take at night because it knocked me out, but it also made me extremely hungry, I had so many honey buns! (by the way those help too)

I know what you feel like, Ive been there. If me and dh argue, there goes my appetite, try to see if theres something triggering it. It will get better. Take care!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by momtobaby1 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I wish it weren't the weekend, I think the office closed tomorrow.

I think I have a habit of denial because it takes me so incredibly long to even recognize something is really bad. For that I am angry at myself for waiting so long. Everyday was spent thinking it would get better on it's own. These last few days have deteriorated so much though I can't really deny this anymore and think it'll get better. I just need to stop thinking of this as being dramatic and more of that it's doing what I need to to help myself. Downplaying it to myself isn't helping.

I will give them a call tomorrow and if they aren't open I'll call them Monday.
    Yes, do not wait any longer. You've waited long enough.
    This doesn't seem like just a simple loss of appetite and you must uncover the reason for why this is happening because these two symptoms are just that. Symptoms of something that needs to be treated. Based on what you mentioned in a previuos post, I definitely think that this condition is not of an emotional/psychological nature but has a definite physical cause. You must treat that cause and only then will you get on to the road to recovery.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mom,

Of course, Addisons is desperately serious but both rather rare and treatable (JFK had it.) They will gove you shots of a couple meds that will make NORMAL adrenals excrete cortisol and aldosterone; for people with Addison's there is no effect and that's the diagnosis.

Don't discount the fact that your condition is a reemergence of that eating disorder...remember what you said about denial.

In any case, right NOW, 120# @ 5'3" is very close to many people's view of ideal weight.

Those ENSURE type high caloric supplements work for many people with no appetite.

Make sure at the doctor's to have a liver panel run. Loss of appetitie is a very common symptom of almost ALL liver conditions.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-07-2007 at 03:54 AM.

Closed Thread