It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• High fiber diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User
    High fiber diet

Hi! I just had my gallbladder removed, adn was told to go on a high fiber diet. I am going to school right now, and have to eat the cafeteria food, so what kind of food would be best to eat as a snack to get the fiber? I can't eat meat for a month, because I have a problem digesting foods and such. I need some high fiber foods that are easy to digest. Is it better yo think just to try metamucil a ocuple of times a day? I am 20 years old, and never been good with diets and such. I am also a diabetic, so I guess that should be taken into account. Here is the diet I was told to follow: High fiber, low carb, low sodium, low fat. Any tips would be gladly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User
    Re: High fiber diet

Your diet options are not that limited. Basically, it's a very healthy diet with all the sweets and most fat removed.
    For a high fiber/low carb/low fat diet fit for a diabetic I would suggest lots of vegetables and salads which contain them. Also, have a lot of whole grain unsweetened cereals/breads/crackers and whole grain rice. Fish/ eggs/beans for protein source. Beans are also a good source of fiber. Fruit may have too much sugar (fructose) and carbs for your needs but I think some fruit is OK. I would try an apple, peach, cherries, grapefruit, pear. These are low on the glycemic index. Most dairy is also OK, just make sure it's low or non fat. Some healthy fats are necessry for health so you can have a small handful of nuts and a bit of olive oil (in cooking or in your salads). I think this would work.
    A high fiber diet is not, as a rule, easy to digest and that's because fiber is not digested by your body at all. It remains intact but absorbs water in your gut and makes the process of elimination easier. It also attaches itself to fat so as the fiber gets excreted, so does the fat which is attached to it.
    Having to eat cafeteria food is not the best for you but knowing what is allowed makes your choices easier.
    For breakfast you could have 1) unsweetened whole grain cereal with skim milk, 2) low fat yogurt with some berries and whole wheat bread, 3) scrambled eggs (or egg beaters would be even better) with dry whole wheat toast, grapefruit juice.
    For lunch choose 1) a salad with lots of greens, chopped hard boiled egg whites, cooked vegetables, low fat cheese, tuna fish, 2) Tuna mixed with olive oil or water packed with whole wheat bread or pita bread, sliced tomato, a piece of fruit, 3) vegetable lasagna, piece of fruit.
    For dinner: 1) Grilled, baked or broiled fish, vegetable salad, yogurt parfait for dessert (non fat yogurt, berries, some sliced almonds on top), 2) Salad Nicoise (sliced boiled potatoes, tuna fish, cooked green beans, sliced tomato, sliced hard boiled egg on top of lettue leaves, drizzed with vinaigrette made from olive oil and vinegar or, if your cafeteria doesn't have olive oil (they should) then just sprinkle with some balsamic vinegar.
    These are just sample items, I am sure you can find more things to eat at your cafeteria which will conform to your diet.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
    bananarama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bananarama HB User
    Re: High fiber diet

Rita, thank you so much or your help. I really appreciate it. Actually, I go to a really tiny Bible college, and we don't really offer a big selection of food. Basically, you can get one of the two choices of meat, two veggies, a starch, and then bread (which is also a starch). There is only one choice of soup that changes daily, and the salad bar is extremely limited, with only creamy dressings, btu I have my own dressing I can bring.
    I am trying to stick to the diet, but it is extremely hard, and next semester I am going to try and begto get off of the meal plan altogether, because the only diet so far that they have cooked for me was when I was on a liquid diet for a long time. I feel trapped right now, but I only have less than 2 weeks left of eating here, and then I am going home. When I go to camp, I am working in te kitchen, so it will be so much easier to contrl what I eat. So, only 2 weeks left of having to eat this mess. It is getting to be a pain, and a lot of the foods that I am eating are making me sick, because I can't digest them. Grrr...not sure what to do.

Closed Thread