It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Salt addiction !!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User
    Salt addiction !!!

Okay, so pretty much what the subject says... I am addicted to salt. It's really bad. I want to stop adding table salt to things. But without it, it all tastes so bland (and yes, i DO use herbs/spices!!!!)

Just curious what other people's experiences have been with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
    viccles
    Veteran
    (female)

viccles HB User
    Re: Salt addiction !!!

I'll swap you for my sugar addiction Seriously, just try to wean yourself off slowly. Like gradually use less and less salt and you wont notice it

Old 06-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I use to crave salt all the time. If I did not add lots of it to my food it just did not taste good to me. I add lemon pepper seasoning with out the salt or garlic and lemon seasoning. I add them to everything. From corn, peas, broccoli, mash potatoes, rice, chicken etc.

I still crave salt once a month at that time I use to eat vinegar and salt chips but I switched to pickled green beans. They are alot healthier with out the fat.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
    music12
    Inactive
    (female)

music12 HB User

Actually, the right kind of salt is not (contrary to what we've been fed) harmful and in fact beneficial. If, however, you are talking about eating a lot of Morton's salt; yes, that is harmful because it is full of chemicals used in processing. A health food store would be a good bet where Redmonds Real Salt and other pure brands can be found. A popular protocol for Lyme Disease is called Salt/C where large amounts of salt and vitamin C are consumed. Salt used to be more valuable than coin because people recognized the health benefits.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

WanderingSoul,

I prefer to cook with little or no salt. This means combining separate foods to create a meal, not using pre-packaged products. Yes, this means that the food tastes flat. BUT! If I sprinkle a little salt on the food AFTER I dish it up onto my plate, then I'm getting that wonderful "punch" that salt gives to other flavors without overloading my body with all that sodium. A little bit on the outside of the food can be tasted by my tongue, and I'm satisfied.

--Rheanna

Old 06-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

WS,

I NEVER touch the salt shaker when cooking or at the table. BUT I eat a high salt diet becasue I am fond of processed foods, I have no garden and fresh foods cost a fortune.

So evey Stouffer's, [email protected]'s, Campbell's, Boston Market, frozen pizza that I TOUCH is loaded with sodium. Every can of beans I open and every can of tomatoes I use for spaghetti sauce or every canned soup I eat has enough salt to rival Lot's wife. If I go to a restaurant and eat Chinese or Indian, it's salt salt salt!

Convenience and low-salt do NOT work together and unfortunately I have better things to do with my time than spend the whole day in my kitchen, although I DO cook most meals.

<If I had a garden, things would be different but I am in a high-rise apartment...no dirt (unless I forget to vacuum!)>

Thank God for diuretics!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-15-2007 at 05:23 AM.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Use red pepper to enhance food, works great. I like Lowry's Red Pepper Seasoned Salt and use only a very light sprinkle on food cooking. Later after taste buds have adjusted, just use red pepper.

I never liked the fake salt substitutes, yuck taste.

Food actually has a flavor all it's own without salt, just takes time to adjust.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
    viccles
    Veteran
    (female)

viccles HB User

Just a question. Is garlic and herb salt really "salt"?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by viccles View Post
    Just a question. Is garlic and herb salt really "salt"?
    viccles,

If the name of the product has salt in it, it's a good idea to read the label carefully (get out your reading glasses because the ingredient list is usually in small print!). Powdered garlic is just garlic in powdered form. Garlic salt is powdered garlic mixed with salt. And if a product says it's a mixture of herbs, I'd definitely read the small print to see if salt is also listed.

--Rheanna

Old 06-16-2007, 03:58 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Generally if the bottle is HEAVY it is mostly salt; spices are lightweight. IF it has salt in the word it is almost all salt.

CHeck ingredients...if salt is the first ingredient listed, then it's almost all salt.
    BUT, youu cannot count on all manufacturers following the law and thus you can find some unscrupulaous products on the slelves with salt listed as the 5th ingredient when actually the product is 95% salt by weight.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ballady3 View Post
    Actually, the right kind of salt is not (contrary to what we've been fed) harmful and in fact beneficial. If, however, you are talking about eating a lot of Morton's salt; yes, that is harmful because it is full of chemicals used in processing. A health food store would be a good bet where Redmonds Real Salt and other pure brands can be found. A popular protocol for Lyme Disease is called Salt/C where large amounts of salt and vitamin C are consumed. Salt used to be more valuable than coin because people recognized the health benefits.
    I agree 1,000 %. If you are going to eat salt at all, cut back to the healthiest form, which IS sea salt. I also use Redmonds. Other brands will work, but make sure it is gray or pinkish and real sea salt. I buy all my canned veggies low or no sodium when possible, just so I can add my own sea salt. It also is amazing just how much better it tastes than regular salt. Regular salt has a "chemical" taste compared to sea salt. That's because it has chemicals in it.

Closed Thread