It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Are the calories in fruit just as bad

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
    andapaul
    (male)

andapaul HB User
    Cool Are the calories in fruit just as bad

Ok so its time to do something about being overweight its just not working out for me i have dropped fast food except for subway (i'll get back to that in a moment) so anyways i basically eat fruit for breakfast and fruit in the evening so i dont storm the cupboard for nuts, cookies, and chips i have dropped those from my diet for good for about 3 weeks. Ok back to fruit is eating tonnes of fruit as bad as eating a bag of chips since it contains calories which from what i know calories are bad ? Secondly my new eating routine is that i'll have a fruit salad in the morning go to school and eat a subway foot long turkey and ham sub at about 2 o'clock with a small amount of teriyaki sauce lettuce and jalapenos on whole wheat bread no soda no chips, it all come up to abot 580 calories, and for dinner i eat a few oranges, is this healthy diet or is a bit dangerous. I'm pretty sure my calorie intake is pretty low but i just wanted some feedback on my routine/my fruit question.

P.S. I am 6ft 2in and i weight 290 i dont know if that would help u guys evaluate o yea i lift weights and use a punching bag and speedbag as exercise i'm gonna buy a treadmill next month

Last edited by andapaul; 08-21-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User
    Re: Are the calories in fruit just as bad

Eating fruit is a LOT healthier than eating junk food. However, you wouldn't want to go overboard with it just because it's fruit.

Your best bet would be to try a more balanced diet so that you're getting smaller amounts of food more frequently throughout the day.

One of the best guidelines (I think) for healthy eating is the diabetic diet, and also the heart healthy diet. Otherwise if you stick to eating very little throughout the day you're going to burn out very quickly and it's going to be harder to stick to, and it's not good for you!!

Good luck!! I know how hard it can be to eat healthy and lose weight!!
    PCOS

Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
    dancergal19
    Veteran
    (female)

dancergal19 HB User

i agree with morrisun.. you need to eat small meals throughout the day or else your metabolism will slow down and your body will burn less calories. basically you should be eating a lot of fruits, veggies and lean meats. it's okay to eat nuts, they're good for you, just don't eat more than a handful or two a day because they are high in calories. If you want to lose weight I would eat a healthy breakfast like you're doing, small snack before lunch, maybe six inch sub for lunch, small snack, healthy dinner with a good amount of protein and then a very small snack before bed. I think 580 is a very dangerous amount to eat, I would aim for at least 1200, but you should research that online.

in terms of exercise, the best way to lose weight is to do intervals because that keeps your heart rate down. you can go jogging and take walking breaks in between or use cardio machines and do the interval setting. weight lifting is definitely a good idea because that will build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns throughout the day.

good luck!!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
    andapaul
    (male)

andapaul HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancergal19 View Post
    i agree with morrisun.. you need to eat small meals throughout the day or else your metabolism will slow down and your body will burn less calories. basically you should be eating a lot of fruits, veggies and lean meats. it's okay to eat nuts, they're good for you, just don't eat more than a handful or two a day because they are high in calories. If you want to lose weight I would eat a healthy breakfast like you're doing, small snack before lunch, maybe six inch sub for lunch, small snack, healthy dinner with a good amount of protein and then a very small snack before bed. I think 580 is a very dangerous amount to eat, I would aim for at least 1200, but you should research that online.

in terms of exercise, the best way to lose weight is to do intervals because that keeps your heart rate down. you can go jogging and take walking breaks in between or use cardio machines and do the interval setting. weight lifting is definitely a good idea because that will build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns throughout the day.

good luck!!
    Thanks for the help...........lol but when i said 580 calories i was talking about the sandwich alone, the sandwich is 580 calories not my whole days intake that would be starving myself if i ate only that amount of calories a day...........thanks again ladies

Last edited by andapaul; 08-21-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

To answer your question - NO. Yes, a calorie is a calorie, but some calories have more nutritional value than others, like fruit versus potato chips. I can pretty much guarantee that you can eat as much fruit as you want and not gain weight.

That being said, you NEED TO EAT MORE. At first glance, here are some things that you should definitely do to change your eating habits:
    a) eat carbs, protein or something more substantial for breakfast
    b) eat a snack after breakfast, before lunch
    c) eat something with your sandwich - veggies and dip, some fruit, etc...
    d) you CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT eat just oranges for dinner. This is extremely unhealthy. You will end up starving your body, slowing your metabolism, and halting your weight loss.

Please eat more balanced meals and try not to restrict yourself to much.

Good luck and keep us posted (literally)!

LS

Closed Thread