It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Taking Creatine to get build muscle, get lean, and weight loss questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
    lightingbird
    (male)

lightingbird HB User
    Question Taking Creatine to get build muscle, get lean, and weight loss questions

Lots of confusion.

Currently, I train muay thai kickboxing twice a week, kenpo karate twice a week, yoga, and weight train with the p90x program. Doing good and I feel good. I currently weight 230lb and I'm trying to get down to 190. Been doing this for about three weeks now and I'm loving it. Now I have not weighed myself yet. Trying to wait for a full 5 weeks to do that. Anyway, I was told by a guy that works at a gym to take some creatine and some whey protein before and after my workout for maximum results. Here are my questions and please for the love of god. If anyone answers me, please do so clearly.

1. I realize that I don't really need to drink creatine after working out other than to get the overal saturation effect. Is it a bad idea to keep doing it anyway?

2. Since my goal is to lose weight while building muscle and achieve a defined and tone look. Should I keep taking creatine to help or stop?

3. Is it a bad idea to put it in a water bottle and drink it during some of my cardio workouts?

4. I don't want to load but I'm planning on achieving my goal by the end of the year. Is taking 3 grams a day ok?

5. Lastly and most importantly. Will taking creatine help me workout harder so I can indeed build stronger musles and lose weight or will it just add larger muscle mass, water or in any way make me fatter.

Thanks and again, please clear answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
    Ringitup
    (male)

Ringitup HB User
    Re: Taking Creatine to get build muscle, get lean, and weight loss questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightingbird View Post
    Lots of confusion.

Currently, I train muay thai kickboxing twice a week, kenpo karate twice a week, yoga, and weight train with the p90x program. Doing good and I feel good. I currently weight 230lb and I'm trying to get down to 190. Been doing this for about three weeks now and I'm loving it. Now I have not weighed myself yet. Trying to wait for a full 5 weeks to do that. Anyway, I was told by a guy that works at a gym to take some creatine and some whey protein before and after my workout for maximum results. Here are my questions and please for the love of god. If anyone answers me, please do so clearly.

1. I realize that I don't really need to drink creatine after working out other than to get the overal saturation effect. Is it a bad idea to keep doing it anyway?

2. Since my goal is to lose weight while building muscle and achieve a defined and tone look. Should I keep taking creatine to help or stop?

3. Is it a bad idea to put it in a water bottle and drink it during some of my cardio workouts?

4. I don't want to load but I'm planning on achieving my goal by the end of the year. Is taking 3 grams a day ok?

5. Lastly and most importantly. Will taking creatine help me workout harder so I can indeed build stronger musles and lose weight or will it just add larger muscle mass, water or in any way make me fatter.

Thanks and again, please clear answers.

Creatine is one of the most popular supplements in the last few decades and for good reason. [removed] The good thing about creatine is that there aren't many negative affects (that I can find) associated with it. Your body produces creatine on it's own for energy but a creatine supplement can give you that extra energy/explosiveness during certain activities. The benefits of creatine are better suited for those involved in explosive activities that require fast twitch muscles. These include weight lifting, football, baseball, certain track events, etc...

Creatine will not help those involved in aerobic activities. For instance, don't expect to have better times in the 5k run when on creatine. [removed]

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1.) This can probably be combined with question 4. Creatine can be taken in different ways. The supplement I'm taking now combines creatine with NO and I take about 3/4 of it 45 minutes before I work out and the remaining 1/4 during my workout. Some will also tell you to take it all after the workout. If you are taking it after your workouts then that's fine.

2.) Creatine will help you build muscle which is a plus for those trying to lose fat. But, some people will retain water when taking it. This gives muscle the "full" look. Creatine also helps you recover faster by fascilitating the delivery of nutrients to your muscles which is another reason water is stored in your muscles. You have to decide if you think creatine is worth taking though since you are limiting yourself to just 1 day a week of weight training.

3.) As stated before, creatine won't help aerobic activities. On days you aren't weight training, I believe many will tell you to take your serving of creatine in the morning on an empty stomach for maintenance purposes.

4.) I believe the recommended dose is 5 grams but I'm not positive on that.

5.) We've touched on this already. Yes, creatine can help you build lean muscle mass but I honestly don't think you'll see much results by working out 1 day a week. I notice a big difference when I'm on it but I'm also doing weight training 5-6 days a week. You seem to be going more for the cardio part of training with the occassional workout to keep your muscles toned. That's fine but I don't think creatine is well suited for that type of situation. Others can respond though and let you know what they think as these are mostly my opinions.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-18-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
    Ringitup
    (male)

Ringitup HB User
    Re: Taking Creatine to get build muscle, get lean, and weight loss questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
    Please share information in your own words. Please do not direct members to do searches outside of Healthboards. Members come here for support and advice, not to be told to go elsewhere to find answers.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-19-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread