It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Is peanut butter as bad for you as it sounds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
    ghunt
    (male)

ghunt HB User
    Is peanut butter as bad for you as it sounds?

I like to snack on some peanut butter & crackers now and then, and I can't help but notice how much saturated fat peanut butter has in it.

Is it as bad for you as it sounds, I mean two tablespoons of peanut butter has as much fat in it as a hamburger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
    naturodude
    (male)

naturodude HB User
    Re: Is peanut butter as bad for you as it sounds?

Source of the fat is the key. saturated fat from hamburgers is bad, but sat. fat from raw, org. coconut oil is good. The only thing i find bad about peanut butter is the high level of alfatoxins. Moderate amounts of low-toxin peanut butter are ok.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
    viccles
    Veteran
    (female)

viccles HB User

Peanut butter has good fats in it. I don't think the gym I go to would be holding some promotion for peanut butter if it was bad

Last edited by viccles; 02-09-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
    Elidicious
    (female)

Elidicious HB User

hmmmmmmm penaut butter is so tasty....though i don't remember when i tried it for the last time...lol

Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Peanut butter DOES have a lot of good fats in it, but of course if you eat way too much of it, that's not good for you. Just try to stick with a serving size. I like to dip apple slices in peanut butter for a healthy snack. There is reduced fat peanut butter, but these often have more sugar in them, so you might as well get the kind you like!

PS, if you like hamburgers, make them at home with lean sirloin ground beef and you will cut out a lot of fat. It's much healthier than the ones you get in fast food chains and to me they taste better since they aren't overly greasy. I like to use a wheat bun and add fresh veggies. I also cook mine on a George Foreman grill and they come out delicious and much healthier without sacrificing burgers.

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 02-22-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
    meggiemeg86
    (female)

meggiemeg86 HB User

Processed peanut butter is bad for you (ie: Jiff, Skippy, Peter Pan). The processed peanut butter usually contain partially hydrogenated oils, which are one of the worst things to be putting in your body. You should try buying organic peanut butter. The only ingredient should be peanuts and maybe salt. But, like everything else you should eat it in moderation as well.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
    bh0819
    (female)

bh0819 HB User

Peanuts contain some really great proteins and the right kind of fats for a lot of people. Try locating a whole foods market near you. Most of them have stations where you can pick your own nuts (cashews, peanuts, almonds, etc...) and then grind them right there for yourself. That way you do not have to have the equipment or find the nuts, but you still get a pure product that you know exactly what is in it. It is fun, too. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User

When I was pregnant with our children the doctor insisted on peanut butter. Try it with apple slices. Yummy.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I also love p.b. with apple slices! Has anyone tried almond butter? Usually it's in natural food stores, but I've seen it at certain grocery stores and was thinking that maybe it's better for you since natural almonds are good for you. I'll have to give it a try sometime. I tried a soy nut butter one time and was NOT happy! It was organic but way too thick and I actually pulled a tongue muscle trying to eat it as it got stuck to the roof of my mouth. Let me tell you, pulling a tongue muscle was terrible! It was so hard to eat all week!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 03-31-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
    Mstical
    (male)

Mstical HB User

I'm a peanut butter addict....everyday for lunch I have a peanut butter and banana sandwich with flax seed sprinkled on it.

I would agree with the above posts that if you get the natural peanut butter that does not have hydrogenated fats or sugar added, it is quite healthy. I tend to put on really thick layers of it, but if you minimize the serving it's not so bad.

And it goes great with anything! Bananas, apples, maple syrup, jam, chocolate, etc. Enjoy it!

Last edited by Mstical; 04-21-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
    bronzebaron
    (male)

bronzebaron HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
    I like to snack on some peanut butter & crackers now and then, and I can't help but notice how much saturated fat peanut butter has in it.

Is it as bad for you as it sounds, I mean two tablespoons of peanut butter has as much fat in it as a hamburger.

If you eat Richards natural peanut butter you're fine. The brand names are bad.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
    BadFaith
    (male)

BadFaith HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meggiemeg86 View Post
    Processed peanut butter is bad for you (ie: Jiff, Skippy, Peter Pan). The processed peanut butter usually contain partially hydrogenated oils, which are one of the worst things to be putting in your body. You should try buying organic peanut butter. The only ingredient should be peanuts and maybe salt. But, like everything else you should eat it in moderation as well.
    I agree with this assessment. Conventional peanut butter has trans fats which ranks as one of the worse food additives invented.

Choose the brand of peanut butter that lists peanuts and salt as its sole ingredients or failing that grind up your own at Whole Foods.

Closed Thread