It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• 2nd Shift Eating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
    1965_Bruce
    (male)

1965_Bruce HB User
    2nd Shift Eating

Are there any "second-shift" workers on here? I need some ideas on how to eat better. I'm not doing too good. This work schedule doesn't allow for a normal dinner time where you can make a wide variety of healthier foods. (for those who don't know, "second shift" typically starts work in the mid afternoon and gets off in late evening)

Here's a little of my situation. I only get 30 minutes (could be stretched to 45...) and thus I don't have time to drive home. I'm single, so there's no wife/s.o. to prepare any food. The only preparation mechanism available to me is the microwave - and yes, I know that many people say its not too healthy to live on a steady diet of microwaved food.

I usually eat breakfast around 11am, and survive on a vending machine snack around 3pm, and eat "dinner" between 6 and 7. There, my diet consists of quick-serve stuff like subs/fast food/chinese/etc. And I usually don't eat much when I get home at 11. I've tried making dinner at home at 10:30 or 11pm but it just feels too late. I've also taken some leftovers to heat up in the microwave for dinner.....but I'm just sick of eating. There's no variety and I'm tired of microwaved food day after day - that's why I end up eating a sub and more potato chips. But I'm getting tired of that too.

My co-workers aren't much better - a lot of them eat junky food but some have a spouse at home who can help in the food area.

I'm about to go nuts on this job. When I walk thru the supermarket I see lots of cool stuff I could make at home if I had time but I'm stuck with the microwave. My future health is going to suffer if I continue with years of eating like this. I'm wondering what others in this situation do? Any ideas? Sometimes I think I should just look for other work and be more of a day person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
    beck6035
    (female)

beck6035 HB User
    Re: 2nd Shift Eating

I don't work a 2nd shift but my son does. He had a similar problem and didn't want to cook but to eat fast food. But digestive problems have changed all of that. He now cooks usually when he gets home from work.

What he does is to have easy to cook items on hand. You say you only have a microwave. No stove or oven??? He puts a couple of pieces of chicken in the oven with some season salt on it or barbeque sauce , makes a side dish of noodles or rice or instant potatoes and opens a can of veggies or has a salad. He will even fry up a pork chop or two. Sometimes he even uses the good old crock pot. Sets it up before he goes to work. And dinner is ready when he gets home.

I know he doesn't go to bed when he gets home from work. He usually stays up till about 1am or so. So he usually doesn't cook till after he has been home awhile.

You might try cooking on your days off and then on work days all you have to do is reheat, add a veggie or a salad and you are good to go.

I sounds like you are cooking for one and that can be a very hard thing to do. The grocery store does have lots of things to make it easier than it used to be. The goal is to make what you eat balanced.

Good luck with the cooking. It just takes practice.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
    1965_Bruce
    (male)

1965_Bruce HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beck6035 View Post
    You say you only have a microwave. No stove or oven???
    Yeah, what I meant was at work. If I bring anything to work the only way I can heat anything is a microwave. On the other hand, at home, I do not own a microwave!

I stay up till 2am or so.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
    beck6035
    (female)

beck6035 HB User

Now I understand. I eat alot of microwave dinners for lunch. Most of the time I have a Marie Callendars or Health Choice etc....They do get boring. I have found that the key is in mixing things up a bit. For example one week I will get some deli meat and make a sandwich and a small salad for lunch, or like today I am having some homemade soup. When I make soup I freeze several small containers to take in my lunch later. Sometimes I will even cook extra the night before and bring the leftovers for lunch...OOPS didn't mean to use the word leftovers...in my house they are known as pre-cooked meals...LOL Sometimes I get burritos and take my own sour cream/salsa.
    Lunches are limited only by your imagination. I do bring my lunch to work everyday and I never get anything from the snack machine. I keep things at work that are healthy to snack on...such as low fat granola bars, single serve fruit cups, etc.

I think the key is thinking about lunch (dinner) before you go to work. Pre planning is the key. Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
    Lance0204
    Veteran
    (male)

Lance0204 HB User

death to shift work!!!! actually they're a necessity in today's world unfortunately, i used to work all three shifts. my "2nd shift" went from 4pm to midnight. i found preparing dinner for this shift the easiest. i would get up around 830am or 9am, have breakfast, exercise a bit, have lunch by 1pm or so and prepare "dinner" by around 230pm or so then i'm out the door 310pm. its easier to pull off if you cook a lot at a time (maybe on a day off) and store it, then take out as you need it. yes we know freshly cooked food has the highest nutritional value but sometimes we can't help it.

microwaves are bad (they de-nature the food somewhat i hear) but at my current job (no shift work!! ) that's all i have. i still use the mircowave but anything i heat up in it is healthy and home made. my struggle now is to make a lunch that doesn't involve it (not to mention the lunchtime lineup to use it). i really can't stand anything cold.

feel lucky that you don't have to work the graveyard . i have a feeling we'd be seeing you on the insomnia board as well.

Closed Thread